Tappables, works for a bit then I can no longer pan

Hello, I’m new to tappable and still figuring them out. After I click any of the tappables on my screen, it works but once it ‘resets’ back to the beginning, I can no longer pan around. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT : I’d like to add I’ve tried it on my phone and laptop and it’s still happening.

Coding :
INT. JAIL10 JMILEY - DAY with JAIL033 JMILEY to 1 21 151 in zone 2 at layer -15 with KEY02 to 0.136 50 250 in zone 3 at layer -12 with BREAKFAST04 to .082 143 230 in zone 1 at layer -11 with CANDLE01 to 0.136 255 278 in zone 3 at layer -10
&cut to zone 2
&zoom on 478 248 to 335% in 0
&MCF spot 0.444 155 325 in zone 2 AND MCF faces left AND MCF is think_rubchin AND MCF moves to layer 0
@pause for a beat
@ZZPOINT =50
@speechbubble reset

NARR
Welcome to your first | italic | Puzzle Game | reset | of Good for the Soul!

NARR
Would you like the tutorial?

choice
“I’m an expert”{

NARR
Great, let's continue.

@transition curtain out_left 1
goto end_PUZZLE_TUTORIAL_female_1
}“I’d like to see the tutorial”{
NARR
I’ll give you a tour!
goto start_PUZZLE_TUTORIAL_female_1
}
label start_PUZZLE_TUTORIAL_female_1
&overlay KEY02 opacity 1 in 0

NARR
Okay, in just a moment this text box will disappear and you'll be able to scan the room.
You will be able to click on objects in the room, perhaps finding something that can help you escape.
Best of luck!

label puzzle_TUTORIAL_female_1
&zoom reset
&cut to zone 2
@speechbubble is 160 278 to 0%

NARR
. . .

tappable [pan:1:3:hor]
“JAIL033 JMILEY”{
&zoom on 455 238 to 355% in .5
@MCF faces right AND MCF is tinker_stand_neutral_loop_rear
if (episode3_TUTORIALKEY){
goto end_puzzle_TUTORIAL_female_1
} else {
@speechbubble is 134 301 to 100% with tail_top_right
MCF (think_rubchin)
(I should find something that can help me open the door.)
goto puzzle_TUTORIAL_female_1
}
}“KEY02”{
&pan to zone 3 in 3
@MCF walks to spot 0.453 29 322 in zone 3 in 3
gain episode3_TUTORIALKEY
&overlay KEY02 opacity 0 in 1
sound buy_currency
&MCF is idle_bounce_happy_loop
@speechbubble reset
NARR
You found [1] jail cell key.
&pan to zone 2 in 3
&zoom on 100 100 to 100% in .5
@MCF walks to spot 0.444 155 325 in zone 2 in 3
@pause for .5
}“BREAKFAST04”{
&pan to zone 1 in 3
@MCF walks to spot 0.444 213 317 in zone 1 in 3
@speechbubble reset

MCF (idle_sad_timid_loop)
(Someone left a perfectly good cereal behind.)

&pan to zone 2 in 3
@MCF walks to spot 0.444 155 325 in zone 2 in 3
@pause for .5
}“CANDLE01”{
&zoom on 957 238 to 239% in 4
&pan to zone 3 in 4
@MCF walks to spot 0.453 238 312 in zone 3 in 4
@speechbubble is 197 257 to 96% with tail_top_left

MCF (admire_happy)
(This is a nice candle.)
(If I can't find a way out of here, at least I can have the candle for comfort.)

&pan to zone 2 in 4
@MCF walks to spot 0.444 155 325 in zone 2 in 4
@pause for .5
}
label end_puzzle_TUTORIAL_female_1
@pause for 0

Hello,
Just by quick glance, I’m thinking it’s only not pannable because you have an invisible dialogue which creates a pause so you’d have to first click once to remove the hidden dialogue and then the game/panning will begin. If you don’t click once to clear the hidden dialogue, you won’t be able to pan because the game has not yet started until you remove the dialogue by tapping on the screen. So each time they go back to the start of the game, they have to tap once to clear that dialogue and then the game starts.

My suggestion would be to take out the unnecessary hidden dialogue and instead, right after the dialogue that says “Best of luck!” put @pause for 0 underneath it, that will remove the dialogue from the screen when the game starts instead of having to hide the dialogue to get it off the screen.

The way you have it currently will seem glitchy since it will be paused because of that hidden dialogue, naturally readers will tap on the screen if it seems frozen which will clear it but it would run smoother to just get rid of that hidden dialogue and adding that unnoticeable pause so that the game can start immediately when it’s supposed to.

But this is just at first glance. Maybe try that out. :woman_shrugging:t3:

So add this quick pause at the end of this dialogue like this:

NARR

Okay, in just a moment this text box will disappear and you’ll be able to scan the room.
You will be able to click on objects in the room, perhaps finding something that can help you escape.
Best of luck!
@pause for 0

and then remove this part:

@speechbubble is 160 278 to 0%

NARR

. . .

right before the tappable game starts.
Also if you didn’t know, you don’t need to have dialogue right before tappable choices.

1 Like

Thank you Elaina, I’ll give this a try.

1 Like

Update : It still doesn’t work :.)

I’m sorry to hear that, what does your script currently look like?

Also, your overlays aren’t overlapping right? Meaning the transparent background behind them aren’t touching? And none of them take up a whole zone?

Also, I think you have a mistype here:

choice
“I’m an expert”{

NARR
Great, let's continue.

@transition curtain out_left 1
goto end_PUZZLE_TUTORIAL_female_1

It should match the label:

label end_puzzle_TUTORIAL_female_1
so, puzzle should be lowercased.

I don’t think so, that was one of my first guesses so I changed the largest overlay (the prison cell) into an invisible target so it takes up much less of the zone. But, alas, no luck.

Labels are okay, there is two ends, one that takes you out of the tutorial and one that asks you if you want to replay the tutorial.

One of my other ideas is that perhaps I need to just press harder on the screen? I’m away from my tablets so I can’t test it.

Nevertheless, until I can figure out what’s up I’ve added a overlay that readers can tap if they encounter the error. I’m really baffled by it because sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn’t. Even if I click on a different overlay, the screen decides to no longer be pannable either immediately or a little bit after.

Thank you for your help though.

Hello again :slightly_smiling_face:
Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean with you changed the largest overlay to invisible if you’re meaning you did that to avoid overlapping the overlays readers will tap because whether they are invisible or visible if they are tappable and are taking up the whole zone, what could be happening is that every time they try to pan when they tap on the screen it would be tapping that overlay so it’ll just keep restarting the tappable game if that makes sense since it also counts the transparent background of the overlay and not just the prison cell image, so in that case you would need to use some overlay to be over only the prison cell/or prison cell door and not the entire zone. So using a different invisible overlay as the tappable for the cell instead of the cell itself being the tappable if you haven’t already.

As for the labels, I understand there is 2, one to start and one to skip and end the tutorial, however in the script you posted it would cause an error saying a label doesn’t exist because your label for the “end” of tutorial one is written differently than the place you wrote goto “end” so it wouldn’t know to go there because of the difference in uppercase letters but if you’re not getting an error for that then maybe you fixed it since the last post of your script.

Hmm :thinking: idk if it would have to do with tapping harder lol but maybe your fingers are cold and it’s not registering your touch :woman_shrugging:t3: lol I suppose it’s possible but ultimately you should get rid of the hidden dialogue before the tappable pan game starts because you don’t need a dialogue before a tappable choice so you can just get rid of that otherwise they will have to “unknowingly” tap first in order to keep starting the tap game because leaving it there will then cause the screen to pause and not be pannable until they tap randomly to restart it.

Other than that, it looks fine and is working on my end when I’ve made those changes. The changes of: 1. making sure the end label is matching the goto end label, 2. Getting rid of that hidden dialogue so that it doesn’t pause the game and 3. Making sure that my tappable overlays aren’t overlapping with their transparent backgrounds and/or the transparent backgrounds aren’t taking up a whole zone.

I think it’s great you added a button to press just in case though but I really think it’s those issues. I would post a more recent look at your script and maybe the overlays too so others can see and try it to help you fix the problem. :slightly_smiling_face: otherwise I hope you can get it figured out :four_leaf_clover:.

Lol I’m trying. :sunflower: and no problem. :llama:

1 Like

Edit : I deleted the ‘hor’ part and now it seems to be working with me shrug

@Sydney_H , could you close this thread please?

1 Like

Closed by OP request. :smiley: