Tara explains: How to have multiple CCs in the same episode (& solving duplicate label issues)

Author: Tara Star (TaraStar on the Forums, tarastarofficial on Instagram).

Right. How can you have multiple customisable characters in the same chapter? This’ll be a long article, so grab a cuppa and get comfy!

If you’ve ever tried to have multiple CCs in the same episode, I can almost bet you that you’ll get the error message of “duplicate labels” flashing up at you. Sound familiar? Well, essentially having duplicate labels is a problem because then when you refer to that duplicate label, the coding/software doesn’t know whether you want to go to the first version of the label or the second version of the label – hence, you have to have different labels. But how?

If you think about it, the only way to have multiple CCs is to have different labels. That means going through the WHOLE template and changing all of the labels individually – fun times! But, fear not: I’m going to teach you a few shortcuts to help you along (because, really, even the hard-core Donacoders among us don’t want to spend hours editing script templates!).

So, here is a very detailed set of instructions on how to have multiple CCs….!

1. First, you need to choose which gender your CC character will be.

2. Now, you need to get a blank script writer up. It MUST be blank. It absolutely has to be blank! Got that? There should be NO code whatsoever on it. I recommend creating a test story, or starting a new episode to get a blank script portal.

3. Now, insert your script template and assign the template to the correct character. This should seem fairly normal at this stage. If you’ve started a new testing story, and the customisable character is e.g. ZAY then make sure you create a character called ZAY so you can still test this template out.

4. Next, you need to change the input name code by hand. To do this, just add an extra number in front of the labels (see the bold numbers that I’ve added in for example):

label first_name_input2

input What’s Your First Name?|What’s Your First Name?|Done(FIRSTNAME2)

if (FIRSTNAME2 is “”) {

NARRATOR
You do need a name…

goto first_name_input2

} else {

continue

}

1. Now for the tricky part: you need to change each and every one of the other labels. But, there’s a shortcut. If you use your mouse to select a label from the original script template that you’ve inserted, once selected the text should go blue. What you need to do now is once you’ve selected that text, press the “Ctrl” key and the “F” key at the SAME time. A box should pop up on the script writer, and from that box, click “All” then CAREFULLY type in the name of a NEW label. For example, if you selected the label “boy_change 0” then type over it, maybe, “boy_change 00” or something similar. Make it unique, and ensure that it’s different from the original but also that it’s unique enough that it isn’t already the name of another label used elsewhere.

2. Now, you just need to repeat this trick to change ALL the labels in that template. I recommend that you work systematically – for example, pick a capital letter e.g. G and add that on the end of every label, so e.g. select the “boy_change 0” label, press Ctrl and F, click ALL, then type in “boy_change 0G” and by having a distinct extra letter(s) this will help you to identify which labels you have changed and which labels you haven’t changed. Work down through the whole code and make sure you check thoroughly!

3. At this point, once you’ve changed all of the labels I recommend that you use e.g. the Web Previewer to test the code and make sure that there are no errors. Test out a few of the customisation options to make sure that the options lead to the right places.

4. Then, finally, once you’re entirely happy that you’ve changed EVERY label in the story, copy and paste the code from the blank script writer back into the episode where you’re using it.

5. Repeat all of these steps for every customisable character that you’re having, always making sure that you do this in a blank script writer that has NO code in at all. Also, it’s very important that the number/combination of letters that you add onto the label are DIFFERENT for every character! Always test it before pasting into your original story, too – as otherwise, if you copy and paste six edited CC templates into your story and an error pops up, it’ll be so much harder to find the error, and also, if you try to replace labels in a script that has other coding as well as the template, then the Ctrl + F trick will edit EVERYTHING that has that label so make sure you always edit the templates in an EMPTY script writer.

Hopefully this all makes sense, and just to help you all here is an example of both an edited male and an edited female script template that you guys can use, just copy and paste one of the links below into your browser to see the template. (please give credit though):

Male: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WUjaWEVJK6CEDnJCdXeD8tG1Q_ISnX6OT0w8CwTK4Po/edit?usp=sharing

Female: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12RhR-VH2ukCPnLrEX5U_0bomiMc0ht_JOosRH1TNa3M/edit?usp=sharing

Wow, this was a super long article but I hope you found this helpful! Feel free to comment below or DM me on Instagram (I’m @tarastarofficial) if you have any questions, and like this post and check out my author profile on the Forums for more articles! :blush:

Wow I think this is really usefull ! Thank you :slight_smile:
But i do have a question: when i start my label (it’s not for customization), one of my character is always moving (for a few seconds) and then it goes back to the original spot. Even it’s really short this move is still annoying… and i don’t understand how to avoid that ? I must have done something wrong :confused:

No problem! You’re most welcome!

Hmmm… that sounds odd… Could you fully explain to me what the error is? If you could send me photos of your code, that might help me to fix it (or you can send them to me on Instagram @tarastarofficial too if you prefer).

Topic closed due to one month of inactivity.