Tell me, how do YOU write YOUR stories?

So, I am hoping to get back into writing after taking a long ass break.

As with that being nothing less than true, I was coming to wonder a question I am here now to ask. As a writer yourself, how do you plan your stories whether that be on Episode or book format? Do you use outlines? A certain template to profile a character? How do you write your story after you come to ideas? Or, do you just go with the flow, let the story follow wherever your mind pulls it’s hand? Here is where you can tell me your own personal journey of story writing. I am here to listen and take notes on what you have to offer. And if you’d like to tell me about your story and what it entails of… that’s fine too, I do not mind.

Best regards,
Zoey.

12 Likes

i honestly go with the flow , yea i’ll plan out the basic plot but everything in between i come up with while writing , with creating characters I pull them out of my head too. I’ve heard writing down your ideas and planning is a good way to do it but obviously my deranged mind says who cares and just creates ideas while writing a specific chapter :joy: and so far that way is a good way of writing for me​:slightly_smiling_face:.

5 Likes

Are you writing a story right now?

I mostly go with the flow. Well first I figure out the basic plot but for each episode I plan out what scenes I want and what’s going on in them (mostly in my head) and just start writing. I’ll first just write in my memos on my phone and then re-write it in the portal. It honestly looks like a mess at first and takes some cleaning up. But I hate doing outlines :unamused:

I am terrible about outlines; I hate writing them, because then that feels to me like I’ve written the story and I don’t need to actually write the story. However, they can be helpful.

Usually I dive right in, start writing from the opening scene and see where it goes. Sometimes I get lost. However, I always start with a general compass heading, as in I know where I’m supposed to get to (the ending).

Be prepared for your characters to not listen to you and go wandering off and doing their own thing. This is the best scenario as the characters are good and real enough that they won’t listen to you, or will tell you something different. The most pleasurable writing experiences have been where the characters are real enough in my head I didn’t even have to think about what to have them do next, they’d just do it.

If your characters aren’t clear enough in your head, borrow your friends or family (give them their traits, backstory, little quirks or details). My wife said to me once that every female character I’ve ever written has an aspect of her in them, and once I thought about it realized it’s very true, like how artists would use their lovers as models, “You’re handy, stand like this, and now hold still, for me, please? .” Anyone you’ve ever met is fair game.

Find out what the character’s want, and then don’t give it to them. See what they do to try and get what they want.

Some stories you just turn on the tap and fill up your buckets as fast as you can, other stories you have to build, one brick at a time.

Sometimes, the coral reef approach works too. Ships are sometimes deliberately sunk to give the coral a framework to grow on. Use a tried and true story template and build yours on top of it. There’s a book called, “Save the Cat” which outlines common script patterns, like for horror movies or romantic comedies, and breaks them down to specific beats. Remember this is a starting point, not a hard and fast rule.
I can identify, as I’d had to take a long break from writing because of my concussion, so starting over was hard. I got back into it initially by writing for a mobile game based on an existing show; The characters and settings were all well-defined, so all the hard work was done and I could just play in their sandbox. Then I came here, and started adapting an old unsold feature film script and suddenly I started coming up with original stuff again.

Ultimately, everyone has their own method that works best for them. Hopefully, you’ll find a way back that works for you.

8 Likes

This right here! I agree! LOL :joy:

1 Like

Same!

1 Like

yes i am , i’m actually writing 2 :joy:

I write all the ideas I get on paper then form episodes with them

With characters I make character sheets…
It has their personality, flaws and so on written on it

Then I plan out the plot on paper

I’m still not sure how I’m gonna end the story :zipper_mouth_face: But meh it will come to me when I sit and day dream in Maths…(you heard me…I don’t pay attention in maths :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Then I write out the character’s relationships and blah blah blah…yeah a lot of writing and planning for me ;-;

I used to go with the flow but I always got HUGE writers block…and that’s annoying ;-;

Booop :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Fair to say this is one of the most amazing things I’ve ever read.

2 Likes

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

interesting. thanks for the input.

1 Like

i have a spread sheet I use for characters. I dont prewrite the script (although a lot of people say this is really helpful), but I do make an outline for each chapter to keep things moving and consistent. honestly, I write the dialogue last after I’ve set up the coding and choices (that takes like 90% of the time spent writing an episode haha… - tbh most of my dialogue is just my own stream of consciousness and totally depends on my mood)

1 Like

I made a web diagram on each LI and the MC (background/visuals/personality) then recorded myself talking about key points in the story (WHAT MUST HAPPEN) then I listen back and write it in a journal but the whole scene with actual dialogue then I type it up and tweak (add scenes or take out scenes)

Well I’m a messy writer which may be bad to most but I like to go with the flow and let the story go where it feels best. I ofc have a plot that I stick to then, exposition rising action climax falling action and resolution. And then I kind of just write what feels best filling in those spots.

I first think of a title, because if i start with a plot then a title, it’s hard for me to match the title with the plot. so i begin with a title and create a plot to the title (hope it makes sense). Then I create the overall short plot. The MC’s and LI’s family situations. Then i do a bunch of minor details. I create more characters and their relations to the MC. Then that’s when i create their outfits where each character has 3 school outfits, 2 swimsuits, a party outfit, and so on… then that’s when I start thinking of 3-5 minor events that will happen in the episode. after all that planning is finished, i finally start coding and add things along the way.

AHHHH! I’m about to blabber :skull:! My planning process takes months, to be honest! See, the thing about me is I can have a ton of vague story ideas, but when I want to pursue an idea that’s really piqued my interest, I ~have to plan it out. That being said, this is how I write my stories:

One of my first steps into my planning process is creating my character, as I’ve found it gives me something to work with. I shape their personality, getting to know them and the way they think along the way! This also goes for other main characters/side characters who play a role in the overall story.

It should be noted that all of this is done and typed up on one of the greatest creations ever: Google Docs or Word :sparkles:. Within the doc, I have literally everything you can possibly think of. Characters’ personalities, plot points, a timeline, possible title names (if I haven’t come up with one already), certain dialogue I want my characters to say in certain scenes, ideas on how I want to start the very first scene of the first chapter, scenes (a certain background/ what characters&background characters are doing), etc. There’s so much on my document, and it’s honestly so lifesaving!

I’m the type of person that can’t “go with the flow”. I’ve tried it once, and it just didn’t work out for me. It was constant writer’s block and lack of motivation. Kudos to those who can create amazing stories using this method, though :nail_care:t4: :sparkles:! I’ve tried multiple methods of writing, but this is what’s stuck to me: creating an outline+more.

As far as writing on the portal goes, I always refer back to my document. I feel like every episode needs to have something that keeps the story moving, if that makes sense. Crossing out important plot points or minor ones that lead to those major plot points is key! Dropping hints, foreshadowing, or other techniques are things that I implement into my writing & chapters to engage readers. It’s always fun to have someone slide into my DMs and mention that they caught onto something that was said or have them start developing theories :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:!

Another one of my favorites: setting the scene! It’s no doubt that all writers on the platform improve in their writing and danacoding skills as they continue to learn. With my new story, I’ve just now started playing with filters when there are throwback scenes, or adding effects to a scene to make it stand out. Simply by adding those dramatic flairs when they’re appreciated goes a long way, and the overall outcome is so, so worth it!

All of what was mentioned above keeps me motivated in writing and continuing a story! I think it’s important for me to have something to look forward to in every episode. It makes “writing” all the more fun. I suck in general with updating because I am super slow and persnickety, but just the thought of something exciting happening in the current episode keeps me going!

One last thing I wanted to mention is if you have a trusted friend, it’s always great to have them check your story out, if they’re willing of course. It’s amazing what a fresh pair of eyes will do. My gal Emma is my goto person :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. We brainstorm our story ideas together and send each other our stories (via Google Docs; again, godsend!!! Or our story links). I say trusted because it’s important to be honest with each other and not easily take to offense the feedback we receive. That could be correcting things that don’t make sense or asking for clarification if there’s ever plot holes. There’s so much more to it, but that’s just the gist of it.

Overall, just have fun with it! If you’ve got an idea, don’t let anything stop you! Get those creative juices flowing! I hope this was able to help you and good luck with your journey :relaxed: :two_hearts:!

4 Likes

Wow that’s a lot of planning haha what do you think is the best way to start a story out after an opening hook?

1 Like

Well, for me since I am writing my second story I used to go with the flow but now,
I planned everything out on www.storyplanner.com like what @adriana.writes I also can’t go with the flow it turns out bad for me.
But I also look up and do other writing techniques to improve my writing skills because I know I can improve and do better.

Before I put the story on the portal I planned out and research whatever topic I’m confused about or the plot****Same here but I also do in my notebook Idk why but I love paper and pen but I also do it on google docs too.

I do the character development backstories, editing making changes to storyline cross out the unnecessary stuff or if the dialogue doesn’t make sense.
I have a hard time with the NARRATOR take a long time on this part. so I look up how to describe things better and dialogue is a bit easily

**I even write out question to see if my storyline does make sense I don’t want the plot to be confusing and I also take my time planning out my storyline and make changes to it too.
It’s going to take me an awhile to published or planned another story but I like to take my time and not rush into anything I didn’t do that good on my first story so I’m taking forever on planning it

I use google docs it’s a lifesaver and like what @adriana.writes
I feel like when you planned it out and everything that’s when it all makes sense and it’s fun and I planned out the beginner to end of the storyline and I also take a while to update because I want to make sure it makes sense and I also ask a friend to help me as well.**

[quote=“adriana.writes, post:17, topic:466894”]
I’m the type of person that can’t “go with the flow”. I’ve tried it once, and it just didn’t work out for me. It was constant writer’s block and lack of motivation. Kudos to those who can create amazing stories using this method, though :nail_care:t4: :sparkles:! I’ve tried multiple methods of writing, but this is what’s stuck to me: creating an outline+more.

SAME HERE

As far as writing on the portal goes, I always refer back to my document. I feel like every episode needs to have something that keeps the story moving if that makes sense. Crossing out important plot points or minor ones that lead to those major plot points is key! Dropping hints, foreshadowing, or other techniques are things that I implement into my writing & chapters to engage readers. It’s always fun to have someone slide into my DMs and mention that they caught onto something that was said or have them start developing theories :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:!

Are we the same person because I do the same thing no joke
Before I start this story I look up writing techniques and stuff too and I’m still for that for future stories

Another one of my favorites: setting the scene! It’s no doubt that all writers on the platform improve in their writing and danacoding skills as they continue to learn. With my new story, I’ve just now started playing with filters when there are throwback scenes, or adding effects to a scene to make it stand out. Simply by adding those dramatic flairs when they’re appreciated goes a long way, and the overall outcome is so, so worth it!

I"m always going back to improve on my coding.
I make changes to my chapters and get rid of any unnecessary scenes and learn something new when you code.

All of what was mentioned above keep me motivated in writing and continuing a story! I think it’s important for me to have something to look forward to in every episode. It makes “writing” all the more fun. I suck in general with updating because I am super slow and persnickety, but just the thought of something exciting happening in the current episode keeps me going!

I love everything that you wrote, I definitely agree with you.
I do the same thing before I write I look up more on how to improve with writing, character arch. creative writing books.

Same here I agree with you I really love and admire what you wrote like. I am the same way

2 Likes

It honestly just depends on how you started it to begin with! For example, I started off my new story with the climax. I knew I wanted to “grab” the attention of the reader somehow, and for this story, I thought this was the best way to :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:! It works out perfectly in this case because now I just have to add the events that actually led up to the climax. All in all, I think the best way to start out a story in general, after an opening hook is to make it align with the beginning or have it connect to the beginning and the rest of the story.

The last thing you want to do is add scenes where it starts one way and jumps to something else without any context :grimacing:. You can run into a lot of things here, especially if it’s not planned out. You can create plot holes or forget vital information from the plot.

Just as long as the rest of the story and scenes to follow line up with the route you want to direct your story, you’re golden! I don’t think there’s no right or wrong way, just as long as it’s going somewhere. Just to be clear, this is just my opinion and what works well for me! I hope that makes sense :sob: :blob_hearts:.

2 Likes