🖤 TEMPLATE: Showing Individual Character Points in A Choice 🤍

I didn’t know what to call this and yeah, I think you’ve heard that many times :rofl: :blob_hearts:

:sparkling_heart: Template: Showing Individual Character Points For Each Character in A Choice :heart:

Let’s say you make characters named STRENGTH, SKILL, WILLPOWER, GOOD and EVIL for a fantasy story. These characters don’t need to appear in your story at all but you can assign points to them in your script (whether that’s adding points or losing points). You can read more here: https://www.dara-amarie.com/points-system (so, just a reminder that you can assign character points to characters present in your story like ALEXIA, CHELSEA, ROSE, etc. and/or you can assign character points to characters like LOVE, KIND, MEAN, etc. who don’t appear as actual characters in your story)

And now let’s say you go on your journey along the way and you’re on episode three where the max points possible for each of the categories mentioned are 4 at that point (in this fantasy story, for the first few episodes, you can’t lose any points however much later on there could be an option to lose these points by selling them for cash or losing them after heavy battles). Anyways, you can show your reader how many points they gained individually using this (this will set up a menu with all of these options for a choice; feel free to test it out):

label checkpoints

NARR
What points would you like to check?

choice
“Strength”{

if (STRENGTH =0){

NARR
You gained 0 strength points.

goto checkpoints

}elif (STRENGTH =1){

NARR
You gained 1 strength point.

goto checkpoints

}elif (STRENGTH =2){

NARR
You gained 2 strength points.

goto checkpoints

}elif (STRENGTH =3){

NARR
You gained 3 strength points.

goto checkpoints

}else{

NARR
You gained 4 strength points.

goto checkpoints
}
}
“Skill”{

if (SKILL =0){

NARR
You gained 0 skill points.

goto checkpoints

}elif (SKILL =1){

NARR
You gained 1 skill point.

goto checkpoints

}elif (SKILL =2){

NARR
You gained 2 skill points.

goto checkpoints

}elif (SKILL =3){

NARR
You gained 3 skill points.

goto checkpoints

}else{

NARR
You gained 4 skill points.

goto checkpoints
}
}
“Willpower”{

if (WILLPOWER =0){

NARR
You gained 0 willpower points.

goto checkpoints

}elif (WILLPOWER =1){

NARR
You gained 1 willpower point.

goto checkpoints

}elif (WILLPOWER =2){

NARR
You gained 2 willpower points.

goto checkpoints

}elif (WILLPOWER =3){

NARR
You gained 3 willpower points.

goto checkpoints

}else{

NARR
You gained 4 willpower points.

goto checkpoints
}
}
“Evil”{

if (EVIL =0){

NARR
You gained 0 evil points.

goto checkpoints

}elif (EVIL =1){

NARR
You gained 1 evil point.

goto checkpoints

}elif (EVIL =2){

NARR
You gained 2 evil points.

goto checkpoints

}elif (EVIL =3){

NARR
You gained 3 evil points.

goto checkpoints

}else{

NARR
You gained 4 evil points.

goto checkpoints
}
}
“Good”{

if (GOOD =0){

NARR
You gained 0 good points.

goto checkpoints

}elif (GOOD =1){

NARR
You gained 1 good point.

goto checkpoints

}elif (GOOD =2){

NARR
You gained 2 good points.

goto checkpoints

}elif (GOOD =3){

NARR
You gained 3 good points.

goto checkpoints

}else{

NARR
You gained 4 good points.

goto checkpoints
}
}
“Done Checking.”{

}

NARR
Are you sure you’re done checking?

choice
“Yes”{

}“Nope”{

goto checkpoints

}

#continue story

Now, as they gain more points, to show each individually, you can keep on adding elif in between, so you can use elif for all between if and else (however many elif you’d like). You should keep if for the first one, well else should be for the last one. You can read about if/elif/else here: https://www.dara-amarie.com/remember-choice

*Also note the max points possible for each is 4 (0-4) in this specific template, if my character has, let’s say 5 SKILL points, and I use the above coding [0, 1, 2, 3, 4(else)] then it’ll play through else. That will be very strange, your character having 5 points and it’s saying 4. If you want to show 0-5 points, just add an elif in. Hope this makes sense.

Use text effects to make it fancier. Check out: Reader Messages / Text Effects Guide Updates ^^

READ MORE

You can also show different outcomes depending on how many points were gained (mentioned more in the Points Article from Dara’s website linked above which you really should check out) and according to that article, you can show “an outcome based on which character has more points than another character”

For example, when we can compare GOOD and EVIL points.

if (GOOD > EVIL) {

#good points are greater than evil points
NARR
You’re more on the pure side, good work!

} elif (GOOD < EVIL) {
#evil points are greater than good points

NARR
You’re more on the dark side, haha!

} else {
#evil points and good points are the same

NARR
You’re just a neutral person.

}

To know what the symbols > , < , = mean you need to read the Points System Article. To know how to subtract or add points throughout your story, you’ll find that information in the Points article as well since I will not be discussing it here (I have written way too much already). Also, the # symbol is used to take notes in your story (plan out a scene, write random or not random notes that only you can see in your script but they’ll never show up in your story when you read (you and your readers will not see); in addition, you can read about gotos labels and gotos here): HOW TO: Labels and Gotos 🖤

You can test other pathways. When you start your story again, you can reset your character points by writing:

@STRENGTH =0
@SKILL =0
@WILLPOWER =0
@EVIL =0
@GOOD =0

in the beginning of the script for episode one or you can reset character points by going to story modifiers: character points. Check out this thread to see a visual of how to reset character points (so you’d change the number by adding or subtracting a number (or numbers) - you can manually input a number in or select one that’s available and then save): HOW TO: Reset Story Progress + Bonus Stuff :blob_sun:

Thanks for checking this out and I honestly hope I didn’t make it too confusing :blob_hearts:

17 Likes

@Writer_SA I was inspired after helping you to make this :joy: :blob_sun:

Made and written on mobile btw, I can’t go on a computer atm :robot: :blob_hearts:

3 Likes

:fire::clap::blush::heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: boookmarked!

2 Likes

Thank you Jem!

1 Like

:joy::joy: Glad I was Helpful! Thanks @JemU776 this will be really Helpful!

1 Like

Bump :blob_hearts:

Bump :metal2:

Bump :blob_sun:

1 Like

Thank you so much Jem :hugs:

1 Like

Bump :heart:

Bump :christmas_tree:

1 Like

Bump :blob_sun:

1 Like