"The Community is Getting Toxic :((((("

Please don’t twist my words :slightly_smiling_face: It’s quite unfair.

If you read my comment, I stated that the recent bans I’m aware of were not of people simply speaking out against injustices. :woman_shrugging:
You assume much, without knowing the whole story.

2 Likes

If you felt I twisted you’re words I apologize but I simply meant that the recent bans that I’m informed on were most definitely not of the issues but speaking opinions
I’m not trying to assume it’s never my attention but from a different pov I think your word choice was not well put

10 Likes

I agree with EVERYTHING you’ve said. I can’t express this enough. Stating your opinion on something or telling someone that a certain thing is wrong does not make us “bullies” or “haters” we just want the person to recognize what’s wrong or right. Some people automatically think that when we accuse someone of doing a certain thing is not ok and call it “toxic”. Imma be honest, I don’t like cancel culture but I don’t like it when someone does something wrong, doesn’t apologize and proceed to pretend nothing happened

11 Likes
  1. I said different POV I’m looking at something differently then you
  2. You shouldn’t assume on what issues I know or don’t know your telling me to not do something yet doing yourself

From different shoes no from yours I suppose

7 Likes

Yes, this is the whole problem with the community right now, and they also refuse to change their ways

7 Likes

The person I’m talking about dmed no one. I have no idea who you’re talking about, but it certainly isn’t the same person.

6 Likes

Lemon, you literally tried to invalidate my experience without any information :joy: I’m not sure what you don’t understand. This is getting far too off topic though.

2 Likes

Fair enough. We should drop it then. Apologies for any derailment it caused.

1 Like

I’m not invalidating yours I again apologize if you see it that way but it also feels like your not respecting
I mean Nothing but sharing of my opinions it’s only meant well
If you take it with Bad intention I can’t help you cause it’s most certainly not

8 Likes

Ok :joy: I accept your apology

1 Like

Thank you so much for this thread. It genuinely disturbs me that people on these forums seem to be more concerned with tone policing and acting as if mildly disturbing an author’s feelings is worse than calling out toxic themes and behaviors. The original thread was basically calling for censorship based on what the OP personally didn’t like seeing (including saying she was tired of seeing posts about BLM because it’s “political”, which it is not).

If you can’t handle constructive criticism, that is on you. It is not your place to call people “toxic” for stating their opinions. And if you think people calling out racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. is more “toxic” than the people actually being racist, sexist, homophobic, etc., you are part of the problem.

11 Likes

THIS :clap::clap::clap:

7 Likes

In my world, calling someone a paedophile sympathiser on an open platform is the very definition of libel.

I agree that this community is toxic, but not necessarily for the reasons OP has stated.

I feel like the biggest clashes here come between the younger generation who are living in a world where it is taken for granted that their opinions are valid enough to shout from the rooftops, and a slightly older generation like me who were taught unequivocally that if you don’t have anything nice to say, then STFU.

That said, I’m aware this platform is aimed at younger readers, and I have been trying hard to adjust my viewpoint and accommodate all of these opinions flying around. I don’t believe I’m the only one who struggles with this though.

I see regular posts calling out creators in the community as being ‘too old’ or ‘Karens’ or whatever. Yes, we may be coming at this from a different viewpoint to you, but that doesn’t make our opinions invalid. If we are expected meet in the middle, then so should you, surely?

I hate this ‘cancel culture’ with a burning passion. Yes, everyone has a right to express their opinions, but no, I don’t believe anyone has the right to ‘cancel’ another author. It smacks of arrogance & entitlement. What happened to having your say then moving on? I cannot and will not ever condone these witch hunts that take place.

6 Likes

There are some writing tips that boil down to “write whatever you want; no-one should have any say in your writing” etc that sort of thing.

I really, truly, sincerely hope people are smart enough to realize this advice is about sappy romance cliches, Mary Sue MCs, and over-the-top action and fantasy sequences that would ruffle the traditional critic and would stop the writer from running free with their imagination.

It does NOT, for f*ck’s sake, mean your writing can be homophobic, transphobic, anti-Semitic, Islamophobic, racist, sexist, or preach hate and prejudice and condone thinly-veiled p * dophilia.

“I don’t like that X ended up with Y, I wanted them to be with Z :///” THAT is someone you can feel free to ignore.

“Please revise X scene, I’m not sure if you know this but it has racist undertones and makes a lot of us uncomfortable” ----> DO listen to what they have to say, especially if you are not a part of the group that your writing has effected.

I will say that most of my friends that come under fire for being hypersensitive and overreacting rarely “tear down” a story without just cause. Say you have a story that contains “dark and edgy” themes with a central “romance” rooted in problematic origins (you know which one I’m talking about, yeah that one :slight_smile: )

By all means, DO write about taboo topics if your intent is to condemn them as they should be. BUT as a student of Literary Criticism, there is just no way to separate the intent of the writer from their writing; i.e. no writing can be judged one way or another without CONTEXT. And the context is where we see a lot of authors’ problematic intentions shine through.

For example: Character X is a horrible person. He has done some very horrible things and the only reason the story itself hasn’t been universally condemned is because its supporters would have you believe the author does not support X’s actions but in fact stands against them.

So you would let yourself believe that is the case from the story alone. Now look at the author’s comments on their personal page, their interactions with followers that for some reason romanticize the character and paint him as a tragic, flawed hero. You wouldn’t see the author correcting them, telling them in clear, concise words that the character is not one to be idealized.

THAT CONTEXT is where a lot of our problems stem from. If you want it to be clear that you do not support your characters and that you as a writer exist separately from them (which is possible!) then say so instead of vaguely alluding to it.

15 Likes

You are so right! Why can’t some writers realize that they don’t need curse words and inappropriate themes to make a good story. A story can be made for all ages.

And taking accountability when making a mistake is crutial. I don’t understand how someone can’t just apologize when people point out something sexist, racist, etc… in their story, even if it wasn’t on purpose.

8 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly with every last thing in this thread.

Say it louder for the people in the back :clap:t4: :clap:t4: :clap:t4:

4 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. Accountability needs to extend to what people are writing on social media also.

3 Likes

Right. As an author, the number 1 thing you should always be ready for is criticism, and many confuse that criticism for hate. If you know that you can’t take criticism well, then you shouldn’t have dedicated yourself to writing. And by the way, I’m not saying you have to take hateful criticism well, because that’s not what I’m trying to say. If the criticism was hateful, then yes, you can ignore it etc. But I’m saying the people who can’t take the littlest criticism that is trying to help them. People need to start holding them selves accountable instead of playing the victim, because people have young fanbases that eat stupid shit like racism up and claim it’s “dArK hUmoUr”.

Don’t even get me started on that. I remember, there was this problematic story, which included racism and stuff like that, and the author’s WHITE fans started defending them, saying they didn’t need to apologise and stuff like that. :skull:

IF :clap:YOU’RE :clap:NOT :clap: THE :clap: PEOPLE :clap:THEY :clap: OFFENDED :clap:ITS :clap:NOT :clap:YOUR :clap: PLACE :clap:TO :clap: ACCEPT :clap: THE :clap:APOLOGY :clap:

Alright, thanks for listening, that concludes my ted talk.

12 Likes

In which case criticism needs to be delivered in a constructive rather than hateful way.

I respectfully disagree here, bc many authors, artists & creative types are actually highly sensitive people and hateful words in the guise of criticism do hurt! We aren’t robots.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this topic

4 Likes