The difference between fair silencing and unfair

It’s fair enough if someone’s silenced for breaking the TOS. It is NOT fair if people are flagging and silencing others when they’re not breaking the TOS, or making up rules/links to rules just to silence them.

Asking people to stay on topic is not off-topic. Having an opinion should not cause a silencing because said person “derailed the topic”. They were on topic. It’s up to the repliers how they reacted to that. No one on here should be responsible for other people’s reactions.

Let’s be fair here.

22 Likes

A topic starter cannot be off-topic.

5 Likes

Moved this thread to the Site Feedback section since it is not appropriate for General Chat. Please review our Forum Tutorial for more info on where to correctly create threads. Thanks! :peace_symbol:

3 Likes

But why was it flagged as off-topic and why is it hidden?

3 Likes

Because creating a thread about a specific topic in the incorrect sub-forum is considered to be off-topic. Also, your thread is not hidden.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen that happen before.

3 Likes

I wish I’d screenshotted the little hidden icon.

3 Likes

Once a topic get’s flagged it is auto hidden until one of the forum staff takes care of it. Your eyes did not deceive you, the topic was hidden for a limited time, just like all the others :smiley:

3 Likes

Okay back on topic.

The execution of the forum rules are actually at this point strangling people of their ability to express concerns with Episode as a whole. Eventually the community will get sick and migrate to a new platform because their voices are never heard.

13 Likes

There’s nothing inherently wrong with the rules themselves, but they’re being used as a way to silence useful discourse between individuals of different views. That, and the flagging system doesn’t tell people the difference between ok content and not so okay content when there’s ambiguity. The forums are full of young people who don’t quite always understand the TOC and there’s a lack of clarity about what abides by the TOC and what does not. Things change constantly and people suffer as a result.

10 Likes

Literally, everyone else in one topic was off-topic but when I decided to be on-topic but some of my comment was off-topic, I get flagged as a whole while the other comments stay.

13 Likes

It’s like they pick and choose who to flag or not. Specifically, they choose to flag minorities speaking out and defending themselves.

11 Likes

It makes you question the consistency of consequences on the forum as a whole. An example of fair vs unfair silencing:

People get away with saying outright racist things – that’s against the TOS – but telling them to get back on topic is flagged? That or the thread is only closed when POC defend themselves?

Topics like that should be closed well before they generate argument. They’re against the TOS.

10 Likes

Commenting that a clothing asset should be renamed because it appropriates a culture… on the thread announcing the release of said clothing asset is on topic.

6 Likes

It ridiculous and these moderators are jerks for it. I can’t even defend myself without getting flagged and put on hold when the one who insulted me and my religion gets flag only a small amount of times then freely can carry one with their racist and discriminatory ways.

7 Likes

@Jeremy why has it been flagged again?

2 Likes

That was dumb. We were just saying to change the names and then we get flagged because we were respectfully disagreeing and defending tartan while the others who kept silencing us were free and weren’t on hold.

5 Likes

I seriously also think that the notification you get when something’s flagged should be changed. It says “by the community” whether it was the community or the moderators.

7 Likes

I’m tired of these corrupt ways of the forums. I should be free to defend my religion, my race, etc when I am not harming anyone.

9 Likes

I don’t understand why the first post has been hidden again. @Jeremy saw what I wrote.

6 Likes