The Do's and Dont's of Writing Romantic Fiction

I understand :grin:

-You as well :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

ExCuse Me SiR bUt My PhYcHo Is AuCtAlLy A gOoD sTorY!!!

6 Likes

Mostly all of them are good lol

1 Like

Lol :joy:

2 Likes

Something that really bugs me is bad communication between characters for the sake of creating drama. Like so many stupid problems and misunderstandings would have been solved if they just talked to each other.

Classic example: “Oh, a girl is calling his phone. I’m just going to assume he’s seeing her too and not ask about it.”

14 Likes

This! I always have the feeling that authors do this because they run out of ideas but they want to add some drama. I know many-many stories that could have finished somewhere at episode 20 but they are kept dragged on with unnecessary breakups and misunderstandings that don’t make any sense.

Although I kind of believe in it, I usually feel that love at first sight is very forced in most of the stories so I don’t like reading anything like this. If romance, I prefer reading about slowly developing relationships and I love the stories where the characters are only friends first and they really get to know each other before anything happens between them. I love some hints though, sometimes I find myself cheering for a character like: “Kiss her already!” and I really enjoy when it still doesn’t happen :smile:

I agree with everyone who mentioned abusive mafia romance, that’s something that shouldn’t be glorified at all, and to be honest most of the pregnancy stories are just plain stupid, boring and predictable.

6 Likes

don’t:

sees LI
casually fucks
the next day fucks the other LI
then the LI fucks the mean girl, and MC gets triggered… :flushed:

11 Likes

Heya! Such a good question. I agree with most of the stuff people have already said. One thing I’ll add:
It really turns me off when the main characters get the ship train moving ONLY when they are drunk. Like, can’t the author come up with something interesting while they are sober? Is alcohol really so necessary?

Turn on:
Good relationship development
Also when the main characters have actual lives and responsibilities rather than existing only when the other is around. I feel that it gives depth to the character.

4 Likes

In relation to what you said, you have to see this Y'all... what on God's green earth is this?!
:laughing:

4 Likes

Dont. Make. Everything. About. Love,

I saw his deep, blue eyes, staring right into my soul. It turned me on.

As he strolled through the park doing his grocery shopping, I couldn’t help but have the urgent feeling to kiss him, right there and then

Have no idea if u get what i mean but please dont do it

11 Likes

Turn Ons

• Slow burning relationships. I like seeing the slow development of a relationship. I know its obvious when they’re introduced as a LI, but I’d like to see the character development of the MC and people around her.

• Love Interests outside the Golden Boy/Bad Boy archetypes. Sometimes the guys you end up dating are ordinary blokes. You might already be friends with them or know them. You might be connected to them through someone else. They don’t need to be the rebel or the jock. Just make it someone ordinary. Regular people have depths too.

• Deconstructed tropes. I kinda like stories that knock at episode tropes, subtle reminders that Love Stories Aren’t Real, and your actions have consequences. Show (rather than tell) that the bad boy just doesn’t want your help. Pointing out that the jock/gold boy is an ordinary person like you, he’s just dedicated to something you don’t care about.

Turn offs

• I hate when the LI takes the MC out for a surprise. Why does every author do this? I hate surprises. And even when I make the MC say “i hate surprises.” the LI keeps doing it. It’s inconsiderate. I’d call my boyfriend out if he kept doing something I specifically asked him to stop doing. No matter how romantic his intentions are.

• Romanticizing trauma and mental illness. I don’t expect everyone to diagnose the MC/other characters. But its important to portray these things honestly. I know going to therapy isn’t super romantic but I hate reading stories where MC’s severe depression/PTSD is cured because a guy comes along. I know everyone has a unique experience with mental illness and trauma, but reading stories like this bum me out, and make me feel like the author is minimizing the gravity of these things.

• Stories where suddenly everyone turns into one-dimensional characters. It seems like once the MC falls in love, everything else in the story takes a back seat. They forget about their dying family members. They forget about very real troubles. They forget about school. They forget about their friends. They suddenly have no hobbies. They drop everything for a guy/girl because they don’t want to break their little love bubble.

23 Likes

Hey there, I get this is just an opinion but this Would be unrealistic.
People are extremely different…
Not everyone is shy… Not everyone is confident,
Some people like shy girls/boys others like confident girls/boys. Some people are attracted to good girls/boys others are attracted to bad girls/boys and for others they are okay with either good/bad girls/boys

Also not everyone you vibe with should be a serious “partner” some times people just do it for fun.

Again, I know it’s just your thought/opinion
But I think being rigid and open minded creates room for a lot of good drama and captivating story line.

Exactly. So why not make shy characters then? You don’ really see shy characters a lot and if you do, they tend to be cliche ones. Why not make a realistic shy character? People would relate o that.

9 Likes

You shouldnt use ppl for “fun” especially if you vibe with them thats wrong.
And i rarely see shy MCs that are realistic i only see these ‘strong’ female MCs that are tough as nails.
What was so…“unrealistic” about it…
Idk why outta everyone my comment got singled out…

4 Likes

And I wonder how being shy is “unrealistic” when they clearly stated not everyone is confident. Or shy. So why not do something in between and stop making constant confident characters?

3 Likes

thats what i was thinking very…wishy washy.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand how this is unrealistic or rigid though. All they said was they think shy moments are cute? You can create shy characters realistically. You can create confident characters realistically.

You can write about how shy people are attracted to confident people’s candor.
You can write about how confident people find someone’s shyness enduring.

As for sex though, I think that’s something that’s subjective, and to be discussed between partners. If someone takes sex seriously and you don’t, you probably shouldn’t hook up with them. And vice versa. It’s not fair.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your thorough response. I 100% agree with all your points especially the incorrect portrayal of mental illness & the when a romantic a story solely is about the romance. I mean I get it. It’s a romance. But people have lives; they exist outside of their relationship & this is one of my biggest pet peeves.

8 Likes

You’re welcome and best of luck with your story! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi :slight_smile:
I’m also working on a story now and I have found your post helpful @kheyrwrites
For me, the turn offs would be everything stated above!
But for the turn ons, definitely slow building romances that make my heart flutter.
And the little things are so important! Like an inside joke between the MC and LI. Or the LI and MC dancing to an old song, the MC taking the LI out for once lol, and those long talks about any thing and everything.

4 Likes