The Episode Community Book Club!

Our fifth story for our Community Book Club was reviewed seven people, and all the scores will be an average. The book was…

First Impression (Cover/title/summary)

Rating: 4.38
It has an Epy Awards badge, so I know it’s going to be good! The artwork is very nice and definitely shows that the story is going to be dark and enticing. It looks right up the readers’ alley, a good concept. There are not many supernatural stories, besides werewolves and vampires, so its a nice change.
On the opposite side of things, it didn’t really pick one reader’s interest based on the cover or title, the description did appeal to them though.

The story (Content and Flow)

Rating: 4.71
Super intriguing! I love the in-depth info on different types of paranormal entities this story provides. Each chapter contains information contributing to the plot and the flow is consistent and not rushed at all.

On the other hand, one reader thinks the first episode moved on too fast. Another reader’s thoughts are a bit more lengthy. They are not a fan of immediate CCs. They need a little more story information before creating, so they know whether they want to create themselves or a character. Realistically, if someone is clinically “insane” and in an asylum, then it will take a lot longer than one good week (the patient’s word) and then two more weeks before she’s released. Especially one who spend her childhood there. Though the disclaimer at the end of the chapter was a nice touch. The length of the chapters was great and the story was definitely intriguing.

Characters

Rating: 3.85
I feel like we didn’t really get to see much of the MC’s personality in the first episode, but I’m sure it’s different for the others. You could definitely tell that Sylvia was terrified. So a little more depth into the main characters’ personality is needed. Yes, the backstory was given, but their feelings and emotions only really hit the surface and didn’t dig deeper. The demons and monsters, however, were really awesome. The character’s personalities seemed a bit flat, some had too many flaws and others had none. Maybe they could be a bit more realistic and diverse. Also, all the minor and background characters looked like the default ones. It was a bit off-putting seeing Gabe in the first scene.

Visually (The directing)

Rating: 4.75
Most people thought it was beautiful and amazing! Perfect and flawless!
Though, one reader thought that the first bit of sound and fire overlay was perfect and instantly drew you into the story. But was not a fan of all the panned zooms. Most of the time it is better to cut to a close up in zero seconds, as it makes the story look a lot more professional. For example, the first zoom in the cafeteria looks really jumpy, going in and out, and up and down. Then when demons showed up at her door on the first night, the zooms could be a little more snappy (zoom on 0) to heighten the fear of the reader.

Language (Grammar)

Rating: 4.8
Six of the readers didn’t spot any errors, found it easy to understand with very realistic dialogues.
BUT ONE READER (I think we all know who :flushed::flushed::flushed:) thought it was almost perfect! There were a number of errors with tenses, and a missing comma or two.

Choices

Rating: 3.07
Aside from the CC, there weren’t any in episode one and very few in the others, which really disconnects the reader from the MC since you’re supposedly playing as yourself. If it weren’t for the bomb-ass directing, one reader probably wouldn’t have read ahead.

5-6 was the average number of episodes read by the seven reviewers.

I really like the storyline, it seems unique and intriguing. It’s very rare to come across a supernatural thriller, especially one with good directing, and this one is definitely in my top 5 list! The originality is also amazing. Haven’t seen anything like it on the app.

Final Book Club score is … 4.26

Start a discussion below of this book if you want to! :wink:

Now for next week’s book, get voting because we only have 14 hours left.

7 Likes