The Episode Community Book Club!

I think you’re be all gravy! From what I heard, your story is AMAZING!

1 Like

Please make sure to get your review in for this week’s book, “Telvoikai”, to share your thoughts, as we haven’t any reviews yet! :wink:

Please only vote for a story IF you are going to review it (or if it is your own work), PLEASE?!

About stories...
Action

Pyrrhic, by Christina Dawn (@christinadawnstories)
About: Your nation is counting on you, but is anyone who they say they are? Choices matter.

Adventure

Wild West, by Moon W (@MoonW13)
About: When something befalls the hero of your sleepy mining town of Acheron, it is up to you to take your place as the new hero. Take a quiz and find out which hero you are and save the day!

Comedy

Lazy girl rain, by Sripriya (@DazzledSnowFlake)
About: Until now Rain is a lazy girl but what happens when she moves out to a different city to find a job… Will she get a job or Will the recruiters go crazy.

Oblivious, by The_Saminator (@The_Saminator)
About: When socially awkward Leanna catches the eye of equally awkward Kai things can’t get more awkward, can they?

One of the Girls, by Amberose (@amberose)
About: Nobody could have prepared Jesse for his first year of college. Why? Because the college administrations board has officially enrolled him as a female.

Psychology 101, by Annie Edison (@Annieways )
About: You enroll in college just to continue living off your parents. It will be fun, right? Well that’s what you think until you meet the craziest just on campus.

The Pregnancy Curse, by Dr Smile (@Dr.Smile07)
About: Being the bad boy always seems like fun and games, but for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Too bad Tristan Stuart realized this way too late. [Male MC]

Who We Are, by Jay M Santiago (@Jayyy)
About: Penny just arrived at her dream college. Will she be able to handle classes, friendship and most importantly, love? Fasten your seatbelt and get ready for the crazy ride.

Drama

Stars & Scandals, by Ella (@Ella)
About: Becoming an actress for the next big-hit TV show is every girls’ dream, right? How will you manage fame and relationships when every move you make is being watched?

The Wrong Number, by Layton Beckett (@LaytonBeckett)
About: When you receive a text from an unknown number pleading for help. Will you put your heart on the line to save a stranger? (CC)

Fantasy

CYBER, by Vivi (@viviwrites)
About: You are a gamer with no life. Harsh, but true. With a tournament coming up in your favorite VR game to play, CYBER, who knows what will happen?

Pine Hollow: Hex of the Three, by Elzbiet Zaleski (@fcukforcookies)
About: As Katarina and her family move to the town of Pine Hollow, they find themselves intertwined in a world of supernatural forces; what secrets will rise to the surface?

Silhouettes, by Aprilish (@aprilish)
About: Arion’s ready to risk it all to make her dreams come true. Leslie sees him every day, yet fails to recognize who he is. Watch them fall in love…without ever meeting each other.

Welcome to the Amazon Forest, by XxAlphaBetaxX (@XxAlphaBetaxX)
About: Khalil’s life revolved around nothing but botany. That is until a search for a mystical flower transports him to a forest full of 6’+ women in the middle of a crisis. [3 endings]

Romance

And in time…, by Atreus (@Atreus)
About: With a haunting past and a stale present, will she be able to bring you out of the dark you have to succumb to? Or will history repeat itself?

Anticipation, Participation, by JasmineLilac (@JasmineLilac)
About: She’s vain, she’s vile, she’s vexing his friends. Can a creative non-fiction final writing assignment get her off her high horse and expose her vulnerable side to him? (CC)

Dreams and Nightmares, by Dreamer (@RainbowCat)
About: Scarlet had a rough past and it looks like it’s not getting better after she was bought by some mysterious guy. Will she ever turn her life from a nightmare to a dream?

MC: The Golden Line, by Shana Ravi (@appleqrl)
About: Your mission for the last 2 years has been to find your mom’s murderer. But what happens when you meet an alluring man. Also when his darkest secrets are revealed. Love or mission?

Thriller

Casilla Brothers: Prince Of Thieves, by Gabi G (@gabyg)
About: The Casilla Brothers are experts at pulling off heists, but when Elias encounters Sindel during a mission, everything changes. Will she discover he was the one under the mask? *CC

Which one do you want to discuss as the ninth book of our book club?
(You can vote for up to five)

• Dreams and Nightmares
  • Oblivious
  • Casilla Brothers: Prince Of Thieves
  • One of the Girl
  • And in time…
  • Welcome to the Amazon Forest
  • Who We Are
  • Pine Hollow: Hex of the Three
  • Anticipation, Participation
  • The Pregnancy Curse
  • Wild West
  • Pyrrhic
  • The Wrong Number
  • Psychology 101
  • Silhouettes
  • MC: The Golden Line
  • Stars & Scandals
  • CYBER
  • Lazy girl rain

0 voters

Note: I’ll be voting too, so since I don’t really read many Episode stories, I’m voting based on the stories’ blurb and whether it interests me! :wink:

2 Likes

Guys, two and a half days left to get your review in.
PLEASE submit your review for Telvoikai, as we haven’t had any submissions yet!
I’ll be doing mine tomorrow! :wink:

Those who voted:
@XxAlphaBetaxX, @fcukforcookies, @Annieways

Those who voted for other stories…
@Spes, @RainbowCat, @appleqrl, @Ella

Those who liked the previous post, which announced this week’s book…
@Mashia

3 Likes

C’mon guys, one and a half days left to get your review in.
PLEASE submit your review for Telvoikai, as we have had only one submission; MINE! It’s not fair, please get your reviews in!

Those who voted:
@XxAlphaBetaxX, @fcukforcookies, @Annieways

@Spes, @RainbowCat, @appleqrl, @Ella

@Mashia

Those who liked the very first post of the thread…
@The_Saminator, @24aya, @lanafrazer_episode, @LillyR, @amberose, @JannahJackson, @Dr.Smile07, @OueIman, @kheyrwrites, @ELx, @EmpressVanessa, @leia.valentine, @loveyourself, @xRubiesAndThrillsx, @LyraKeiken, @TheBigMystery, @AddieAhogey, @talesbyrose

5 Likes

Guys, about 14-15 hours left to get your review in.
PLEASE submit your review for Telvoikai, as we only have four submissions!

Those who voted:
@XxAlphaBetaxX, @fcukforcookies

@Spes, @RainbowCat, @appleqrl

@Mashia, @loveyourself, @24aya

Those who liked the very first post of the thread…
@The_Saminator, @lanafrazer_episode, @LillyR, @amberose, @JannahJackson, @OueIman, @kheyrwrites, @ELx, @EmpressVanessa, @leia.valentine, @xRubiesAndThrillsx, @LyraKeiken, @TheBigMystery, @AddieAhogey, @talesbyrose

4 Likes

Our eighth story for our Community Book Club was reviewed six people, and all the scores will be an average. The book was…

This story was recommended by @amberose!

First Impression (Cover/title/summary)

Rating: 4.08
One reader had a very good impression of this story since the cover was phenomenal, yet they don’t like adventurous stories so the description didn’t leave them wide-eyed or anything. However, it was still a good description. Another loved the cover, but the summary wouldn’t really make them want to read it.
Another didn’t know what the title meant but it made this reader intrigued to find out, especially when the summary was superb and gave them just enough to want to press play. However, the cover is interesting but doesn’t really give a feel for the plot. One of the readers said that they probably would have scrolled over the story because it doesn’t have something to catch their attention.

The story (Content and Flow)

Rating: 4.32
LOVE the tappables and the originality of this story! The menu part is original and so cool.
A good length, though this reader wonders why it is possible for readers to read the scenes out of order. To them, it doesn’t make sense because the scenes follow each other and reading out of order would get confusing. Definitely an original plot, especially for Episode. You don’t see many (if any) sci-fi stories on the app. It’s rather refreshing.
A very unique, creative and refreshing idea! They’re not sure about the pacing though, sometimes it was too slow, then they felt it was too quick and got a little confused about the plot.
Another reader wasn’t sure about what was going on at points, but I think it’s because they were too wowed with the graphics to pay attention. This story is meant for higher level thinkers, but they’re sometimes too clueless to keep up.

Characters

Rating: 3.87
The characters seemed realistic and really helped to develop the story. However, I found that the MC didn’t really have much of a personality. They liked how Caithe was characterized, and the author did a good job at distinguishing the characters.
The characters were very diverse and although we spent little time with a few of the characters, we could tell they were well-developed outside those limited interactions. They just wish the story was longer so we could really delve into the personalities and lives of the characters, but because of how extremely heavy the coding was it was most likely not possible.

Visually (The directing)

Rating: 4.42
The author did an awesome job with the amazing tappable overlays and backgrounds. This story is in Spotlight but will leave you stunned. The author does anything and everything to ensure you understand the mechanisms of the story and adjust it the way you like it. The author put their sweat, blood, and tears into that directing, and it shows. The directing is really amazing!

Here’s where one reader was on the fence. The directing in the story was beautiful and a lot of work has clearly gone into it. However, they’re not really a fan of Spotlight, as that reader doesn’t seem to connect as well with the story, BUT DID thoroughly enjoy it! On a downside, they got stuck on the map (find the water thing) and couldn’t move on. Tappables annoy them when you can’t find the thing you’re looking for and there’s no way to move past it.

Side note from one reader: the customisation needs to be updated with the new hairs and mouths.

Language (Grammar)

Rating: 4.14
The narrator parts are written very well and very descriptive. But there was a part where Caithe sighed, and I don’t think it was necessary to have her say ‘sigh’, the readers can work out from the animation that she was sighing. Also, an extra word noticed that needs to be removed or the wrong word used, but the rest was perfect!

Choices

Rating: 4.3
They didn’t know how some choices affected the story, but the author did have some that seemed meaningful as well as gender and CC choices. There were quite a few but was not quite sure how much they mattered.
Other thought there were a good amount of choices in the story and felt they have some effect on the plot too.

3-4 was the average number of episodes read by the six reviewers.

The story is a really unique idea with great implementation. After reading this, they would love to see more sci-fi related stories on Episode. One of the best stories another has ever read. The self-made art scenes, the extremely impressive directing and functionality of the coding, and the representation of multiple races. They’re just speechless at the level of uniqueness this story has accomplished. Would definitely recommend it to sci-fi people. It is very well-written and the author knows what she’s doing. The descriptions are pretty cool too. Give it a chance; it’s worth people’s passes.

On the other side of things, they loved the main menu, the overlays were used perfectly, however, they found it a little boring. Another reader would have continued but got stuck on a tappable game. They couldn’t find the thing in the water and would have liked to skip past it. And a third reader had a few problems with reading and understanding the plot, which is probably because their first language isn’t English… so they didn’t understand everything.

Final Book Club score is … 4.19

Start a discussion below of this book if you want to! :wink:

Now for next week’s book, get voting because we only have 11 hours left.

8 Likes

Thank you all for taking the time to read and share thoughts! Below I snipped a few parts (mostly bugs and difficulties) in case anyone wants to know-

“why it is possible for readers to read the scenes out of order.”

That shouldn’t be happening, it is likely a bug. It should have stopped them from being able to open further chapters.

“On a downside, they got stuck on the map (find the water thing) and couldn’t move on.”

If anyone wants to know what this is and/or if this person wants to keep reading, it is a yellow duck, somewhere near the center of the scrollable screen space. Scrolling diagonally from bottom left to bottom right should put you about where it is.

“There were quite a few but was not quite sure how much they mattered.”

Literally all of them matter, including things that may seem unimportant. (Accumulated points.)

I appreciate you being willing to share the positive along with the negative opinions. I know it is hard for a lot of authors to take any negative opinions, but if expanded on it is helpful. (Ex: ‘the MC doesn’t have much personality’ is specific enough to work with.)

The ONLY thing I don’t think should count toward anyone’s story is this-

“Side note from one reader: the customisation needs to be updated with the new hairs and mouths.”
Simply because Episode is constantly coming out with new materials and for an author to go back and edit their story indefinitely (especially once ‘complete’) is a bit much. It does say ‘side note’, so it might not have mattered :slight_smile:

ANYWAY- If anyone does want to talk about it (good or bad) I’d be willing to join the conversation, too, and you don’t have to worry about me getting upset. Or if you don’t want me to join in and anyone wants to chat that is fine, too.:slight_smile: Thanks again!

7 Likes

I wasn’t this person, but I remember that I had some issues with this scene too but it wasn’t because I couldn’t find the object. For some reason I wasn’t able to tap it or I could only tap certain parts of it maybe? I remember getting really frustrated but I read it a while ago.
I figured it was likely my fault somehow lol.

3 Likes

Not likely your fault. I can get in and tweak the code a bit, or perhaps add an ‘I can’t find it!’ button :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do read on a tablet, so I thought that could have had something to do with it (perhaps the object was too high on the screen or something when I tried to tap it? I can’t really remember now, though).

2 Likes

Also very possible. I know when tappables first were available some devices couldn’t pan properly and I had to add a sidestep- if you click scene three a few times I think it helps you get things off the screen, but I’d have to go back in to be sure what it was I added. Regardless, a skip button is a good idea :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Honestly, you have a heart of gold and a very creative mindset since you not only thought of all these possible problems/glitches that readers where experiencing but also tried to find solutions to them (instead of just saying “restart the app” or “just stop reading”) and that shows you care a lot about your readers and are willing to do lots of extra steps just for them to have the best experience possible. That’s one long sentence.

8 Likes

Thank you <3

Lmao at that spoiler, too.

2 Likes

Lol. You’re welcome.

1 Like

This week’s book is…

CYBER, by Vivi (@viviwrites)
It’s a Fantasy and here’s the link.
About: You are a gamer with no life. Harsh, but true. With a tournament coming up in your favourite VR game to play, CYBER, who knows what will happen?

Find the review form at the top of the page, and ANYONE can review the story.

Those who voted…
@RainbowCat, @XxAlphaBetaxX, @Annieways,

@Ella, @fcukforcookies, @talesbyrose, @Episode.Cameronwrite, @Zelda04, @appleqrl,

6 Likes

submitted :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Where do I put my review

1 Like

WOW! That’s early! :astonished::astonished::astonished:

Up the top in the first post, you’ll find the link under the story!

1 Like

I was already reading it ) Just finished 4th episode

3 Likes

HAHA! Yeah, I’ve already done my review too. I love this story so much! :face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes