The Episode Community Book Club!

No, sorry, I’ve not received any reviews.

@CrazyCaliope I totally forgot I was going to review this! I’ll submit my review tonight. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll send it again, sorry :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries at all. (smile)

Don’t be sorry, It’s sad it didn’t go through the first time!

1 Like

Guys, just a day and a half left to get your review in. PLEASE submit your review for 2.5 Million Light-Years Away, as we STILL haven’t any reviews yet!
I’m going to do mine in the next 12 hours. (wink)

Those who voted…
@Shania_Rayne, @talesbyrose

Those who voted on other stories…
@ColeCatalyst, @wanderingechoes, @Episode.Cameronwrite, @csr

1 Like

Our twenty-first story for our Community Book Club was reviewed by one person, and all the scores will be an average.

**This makes me sad guys, that Caliope is one person is the only person to review it despite other people voting. **

The book was…

2.5 Million Light-Years Away, by JiangShi (@JiangShi)
It’s a comedy and here’s the link .
About: Are you ready to leave everything and everyone behind to discover the secrets of another galaxy 2,5 million light-years away from home? Then get on board! (CC, choices and my madness included)

This story was recommended by @talesbyrose

First Impression (Cover/title/summary)

Rating: 3
The first sentence of the summary is very lengthy without breaking it up with commas or new sentences. Also, it’s “2.5”, not 2,5. Also, the cover with all the characters is a little mundane.

The story (Content and Flow)

Rating: 4.5
The story was enjoyable and flowed well, though the only thing this reader had a problem with was the CC. It’s awesome letting readers customise the character, but if you’re going to name the character yourself then we need to know a little more about the character before creating them. So maybe put the intro after finding out who she is.
Another thing, if we said yes to getting engaged, didn’t they get married that night, 'cause he called her Mrs (surname) in bed? So why does she continually say she’s only engaged?
Just a random thought: They were off in a rocket, yet they can take showers and walk around like there’s gravity. This isn’t explained, why aren’t they floating?

Characters

Rating: 5
The characters were awesome, and fairly well-developed.

Visually (The directing)

Rating: 4
Visually, the story looked really great. Although, some of the zooms looked a little jumpy and should probably be changed in the script to “zoom to position in 0”. There were also a few times where a character walked in too quickly.

Language (Grammar)

Rating: 3.9
There were a few grammatical errors with incorrect use of plurals, commas, and some mix-ups with present and past tenses. Some sentence structures are a little waffly with too many words. Also, people don’t normally use “moreover” or “hereafter” in their daily speech, as it’s more for an essay or formal piece of writing. There is some language that is a little inappropriate from Episode. The number of curse words per episode for one, and when in the bathroom, the words “balls” and “nuts” don’t need to be mentioned the way that it is, especially so much. Am aware it’s for humour purposes, but the app does have young readers.

Choices

Rating: 2.5
There were a few that seemed important, but not many overall.

3 was the average number of episodes read by the one reviewers.

Pretty good story and it has been added to this reader’s recommendations list on the app.

Final Book Club score is … 3.82

Start a discussion below of this book if you want to! (wink)

Now for next week’s book, get voting because we only have 7 hours left.

2 Likes

Okay, since were have a three-way tie, we’ll have another vote.
Although, please only vote for a story IF you are going to review it (or if it is your own work), PLEASE?!

The poll and summaries above

• Subverted
  • Single Species
  • My Kalona

0 voters

Okay, sorry guys, since I only had one reviewer last week and no one really voting, I'm tagging all...

@fcukforcookies, @RainbowCat, @The_Saminator, @24aya, @lanafrazer_episode, @LillyR, @JannahJackson, @Mashia, @Dr.Smile07, @OueIman, @ELx, @EmpressVanessa, @leia.valentine, @loveyourself, @xRubiesAndThrillsx, @Annieways, @LyraKeiken, @TheBigMystery, @AddieAhogey, @Ella, @talesbyrose, @Tellyg47, @aprilish, @JemU776, @Episode.BriarRose, @LunaWinter, @CinnamonToast

5 Likes

Thanks for taking your time writing the review! I’ve already made some changes in the script, and I plan to do more later - after I’m back from holiday. I also want to write a better synopsis. :,D

“he called her Mrs (surname) in bed”
Dario called her ‘Mrs’ only because he’d already considered her as his wife. It was like role-playing or dunno how should I say. The manifestation of his desires, lol. I need another coffee. :,D

1 Like

You’re welcome, though I’m sorry that more people didn’t do it.

Oh, yeah, that doesn’t really come across like that, especially since I remember him saying let’s marry tonight, after the proposal (even if they didn’t).

Nah, not tonight but wedding night. :,D
“We have no time for a ceremony right now, but we can still have the wedding night.”
They agreed on getting married after the expedition.

1 Like

Sorry for being so late with this, guys, I’ve been super busy!

This week’s book is…

My Kalona, by Ray Edwin (@Ray_Edwin)
It’s a fantasy and here’s the link.
About: While 17 yr old Naomi desperately tries to bond with her estranged father, she becomes the prisoner of a Native-American curse that threatens all. Help Naomi defeat the curse!

Find the review form at the top of the page, and ANYONE can review the story.

Those who voted…
@JiangShi, @JemU776, @Shania_Rayne

@Episode.Cameronwrite, @Annieways, @aprilish

MORE recommendations would be appreciated! (WINK)

3 Likes

Please make sure to get your review in for this week’s book, “My Kalona”, to share your thoughts, as we have only had one review! (wink)

Please only vote for a story IF you are going to review it (or if it is your own work), PLEASE?!

About stories...
Action

Adventurous: Valour, by TheGreenNebula (@thegreennebula.ep)
About: You got released from prison after your reign as a super-villain, what will happen when you’re given a scholarship to a mysterious university that’s swarming with heroes?

Scars, by inxmyxeyes (@xinxmyxeye)
About: The past created who she is right now. Life never goes easy on her. That’s why she became ruthless for anyone she’s ever met.

Somewhere Between Reality and Truth, by Cori (@Episode.Cori )
About: Sienna heads down a new exciting, yet dangerous path. Who can she trust when her life is built on lies?

Adventure

Adventurous: Across Worlds, by Katherine Pierce (@katherinepierce3)
About: Join bold, carefree, and audacious Valentina as she travels across worlds through a twist of fate. Will her tenacity be up to par as she embarks through this foreign planet?

Adventurous: The Prophecy of Time, by AJ Nicole (@AJ_Nicole)
About: Alayzia is forced to the land of Terratopia. She must gain courage and take risks to fulfil the prophecy & mend the heart of time before time runs out. Can she do it?

Bubblegum, by Sarah Dove
About: On the surface she has everything. After a tragic accident, Alessia Marsh finds herself hopelessly confined to a wheelchair. How will another tragic event help her out of it?

The Show Must Go On, by Amy June & Natasha
About: After DJ loses his battle with Cancer, he leaves behind a bucket list for his friends to complete. Hoping it will open their eyes to live life to the fullest and no regrets.

Comedy

Horror High, by The Saminator (@The_Saminator)
About: It’s the last day of school, what could go wrong? Everything when zombies are invading.

Drama

College Days: Becoming Me, by Galaxy Girl (@Episode_Queen4)
About: It is your first year of College.You have been bullied your whole life but Is this your chance to make friends and find love?

DD: Rock Your Socks Off, by Isaiah H (@ihicks01)
About: Lies,Love, Lust, Gangs and Death! People may think the dancing industry is simple… But what happens when it can get you killed?You Choose!

In A Flash, by Jam C.
About: Oliver has been given a chance on meeting a beautiful stranger who’s a lot like him. Unluckily, he never got the chance to meet her name. Will they meet again?

Monster In Me, by Cameron Oakley (@Episode.Cameronwrite)
About: After your soulmate arrives at your birthday party, you go on a trip to find her missing brother. Will you find out about their past or turn away because she’s an alien?

Strength, by Csr (@csr )
About: Stephanie had her daughter at 17 and her father kicked her out. 18 years later her daughter Katrin struggles with dramas and with her messed family. Will they find happiness?

The Star Necklace, by Mayah (@Maya6)
About: You are the most rich girl in your country…on the top of this you’re famous…But what happens when The Star Necklace uncovers your true identity?

Fantasy

Black hearts golden desires, by Madhu (@Madhu)
About: Nand a sorcerer princess of solataria has two beautiful loving sisters, her other two halves.But what happens when it becomes the vice versa and an old enemy from their past comes back for revenge? Will nand overcome it? or will she fail??

Lascivious, by Saul (@saulwinter)
About: An act of treason by a friend throws you into a sinful world where you’re forced to live with & marry a lascivious, sexy stranger. Love, lies & betrayal ahead!

Single Species, by aprilmeijune (@EpisodeApril)
About: After a tragic attack in your school leaves you blind, a mysterious nymph queen attempts to revive her species…starting with you.

Subverted, by Epithet (@Epithet)
About: A king and queen welcome their gifted princess into the world under the eyes of rival fae leaders, unleashing a powerful revolutionary. ~5 LIs, LGBT options, choices matter, CC~

Your Silhouette, by Anby.episode (@anby)
About: You’re a Shade - an elite fighter in Firea. But even with a war on horizon, your greatest plight springs from - a kiss.

Romance

A cupcake, please!, by Naomi M. & Yasmin D. (@NanaM )
About: What if love begins with a cupcake and ends with it at the same time? Can you still find the love of your life?

Which one do you want to discuss as the twenty-third book of our book club?
(You can vote for up to five stories)

• Subverted
  • Single Species
  • Adventurous: Across Worlds
  • Horror High
  • DD: Rock Your Socks Off
  • Scars
  • Lascivious
  • Black Hearts Golden Desires
  • College Days: Becoming Me
  • Strength
  • Your Silhouette
  • The Star Necklace
  • In a Flash
  • Monster In Me
  • Bubblegum
  • A cupcake, please!
  • Somewhere Between Reality and Truth
  • Adventurous: The Prophecy of Time
  • The Show Must Go On
  • Adventurous: Valour

0 voters

Note: I’ll be voting too. I vote based on the stories’ blurb and whether it interests me! (wink)

Guys, only about 20 hours left to get your review in. PLEASE submit your review for My Kalona, as we have only had two reviews!

Those who voted…
@Shania_Rayne

@Episode.Cameronwrite, @Annieways, @aprilish

3 Likes

I just submitted mine! I was a bit late though, I hope it’s okay…:grimacing:

1 Like

Perfect timing, thank you. I won’t be summarising for an hour or so. (wink)

1 Like

Our twenty-second story for our Community Book Club was reviewed by five people, and all the scores will be an average. The book was…

My Kalona, by Ray Edwin (@Ray_Edwin)
It’s a fantasy and here’s the link.
About: While 17 yr old Naomi desperately tries to bond with her estranged father, she becomes the prisoner of a Native-American curse that threatens all. Help Naomi defeat the curse!

This story was recommended by @JiangShi!

First Impression (Cover/title/summary)

Rating: 3.4
The cover was very eye-catching. It contained beautiful font, a cool bird, and a sad girl. Also, loved how the author included their name on the story cover. The description also sounds very interesting and My Kalona is a very unique story name. … Both the cover and the title looked/sounded mysterious. … The summary really got this one reader interested and made them want to start reading, but the cover and title weren’t really up to much.

The story (Content and Flow)

Rating: 4.16
So far, it flows smoothly and it ended up on a cliffhanger where Naomi accidentally dials her father. This leaves the reader curious for more. … The story was engaging from the start. The writer used a lot of show-not-tell, which was great. It was well-paced and gripping. The cliffhangers were excellent. … The chapters were long enough and usually ended with cliffhangers that made the reader want to read on. They never felt bored or thought the scenes or dialogue was unnecessary.

One of the readers thought the chapters seemed really short, finishing them in about five minutes. The flow of the story was a bit fast and things just happened suddenly. Like, I met a guy at a pool party (I didnt even go inside), and wow, he is hot. The events just follow each other haphazardly. (Other example, diner scene, we just talk like two sentences, then, even though theres a sudden rain, and it`s pretty dark, daddy takes us into an abandoned cave. What? )
The story seemed really illogical in some places. Could be an amazing story, with longer dialogue, more background info on characters, overlays, and full body animation.

Another reader thought the flow and the story weren’t bad, although this reader really isn’t a fan of spotlight either. Also, just so you know, there was also a really long pause just before Gal answers the phone.

Characters

Rating: 3.79
Characters were done well, one reader really loved their conversations and they were likeable. Love Gal’s joking personality and Naomi is also a very cool character. … Another reader was happy to see Native-American characters since they’re underrepresented in Episode stories.

Other readers thought:
The best friend had a great personality, but everyone else needed a little more development.
Not much information was given about the characters, which could be due to MC not knowing her dad, who became basically the second interesting character. I felt like there was just not enough said about anybody really.
The characters were diverse and realistic, which was great. However, Ken’s relationship with the MC, Naomi, is very poorly explained. When he comes to her bedroom, he’s shown to have hit her with a car (?) but when they meet at the airport, it’s their first time meeting? I was extremely confused here. Also, Naomi’s relationship with her dad isn’t written well either. They seem to be meeting each other for the first time in years, but they’re talking too comfortably for that. This was not realistic at all.

Visually (The directing)

Rating: 4.22
It’s in Spotlight and this reader loves Spotlight! The style reminds them so much of the app, Choices. So far, there were no directing errors I came across.

Being a spotlight story, another reader can’t say much about directing. They think the author got the best of this directing style. … Its a spotlight story, so theres not that much directing in it, like in a regular one. However, the directing seemed good. Could use more characters in this reader’s opinion, that would make the story more visually appearing, and some overlays would be nice. … Some of the character’s actions (animations), however, were not that appropriate and quite repetitive. This could be changed.

Language (Grammar)

Rating: 4.55
The grammar was amazing! The author has well-written dialogue that’s very interesting to read. There were a few errors though, however, despite these minor errors, the grammar was very good and the story was very easy to follow. … The language of the story was polished, with some typos and grammatical errors (e.g: ‘your’ and ‘you’re’ were often switched).
The first “Gal”, you meant to say “Girl.” Wait, her name is Gal? That’s really odd. Also, spaces between words are needed, a missing comma or two, and you have the question mark and exclamation mark around the wrong way, it’s “?!” You don’t need capital letters for terms of endearment. Commas should be used where you placed some periods.

Choices

Rating: 3.98
The choices were fantastic and had an impact! This is honestly a very amazing Spotlight Style story. … There were enough choices that led to different scenes or shaped the relationship between the characters. … The number of choices was alright, and they seemed to affect character relationships.

On the other side of the table, there need to be more to make the reader feel involved.

3-4 was the average number of episodes read by the five reviewers.

This is honestly a fantastic story so far, this reader has a great first impression of it and will definitely be continuing. … It’s a real hidden gem and deserves way more reads. …

A friend recommended this story to me, however, one reader thinks it needs some work. The chapters are really short. … It’s not a bad story, though it’s just not another reader’s cup of tea. … A third reader thought the plot was excellent, but Naomi’s poorly developed relationship with Ken and her father was a real put-off. If it is clarified in the later chapters, it should be brought in earlier, and if it isn’t mentioned at all, the changes should definitely be made.

Final Book Club score is … 3.82

Start a discussion below of this book if you want to! (wink)

Now for next week’s book, get voting because we only have 21 hours left.

Guys, think of Gal Gadot aka Wonder Woman! :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, its not a really popular name, but hey, its a name :smiley:

1 Like

It`s great how you put these reviews together btw.

1 Like

Yeah, for people like me, who know about superheroes/Marvel/DC, but don’t know the character’s real names, I didn’t know this. I read past this, but I also thought that Gal was just slang for girl.
If you really want the name, then maybe mention it in the story for uncultured people like me. (wink)

Thank you.
Though, just remember that in the review form, I have two parts to each category; the first is for the score and the second for the comment. (grin)