The Episode Community Book Club!

Please make sure to get your review in for this week’s book, “Adventurous: Valour” , to share your thoughts, as we have only had one review! (wink)

Please only vote for a story IF you are going to review it (or if it is your own work), PLEASE?!

About stories...
Action

Somewhere Between Reality and Truth, by Cori (@Episode.Cori)
About: Sienna heads down a new exciting, yet dangerous path. Who can she trust when her life is built on lies?

Adventure

Adventurous: The Prophecy of Time, by AJ Nicole (@AJ_Nicole)
About: Alayzia is forced to the land of Terratopia. She must gain courage and take risks to fulfil the prophecy & mend the heart of time before time runs out. Can she do it?

The Show Must Go On, by Amy June & Natasha
About: After DJ loses his battle with Cancer, he leaves behind a bucket list for his friends to complete. Hoping it will open their eyes to live life to the fullest and no regrets.

Drama

College Days: Becoming Me, by Galaxy Girl (@Episode_Queen4)
About: It is your first year of College.You have been bullied your whole life but Is this your chance to make friends and find love?

In A Flash, by Jam C.
About: Oliver has been given a chance on meeting a beautiful stranger who’s a lot like him. Unluckily, he never got the chance to meet her name. Will they meet again?

Monster In Me, by Cameron Oakley (@Episode.Cameronwrite)
About: After your soulmate arrives at your birthday party, you go on a trip to find her missing brother. Will you find out about their past or turn away because she’s an alien?

Strength, by Csr (@csr)
About: Stephanie had her daughter at 17 and her father kicked her out. 18 years later her daughter Katrin struggles with dramas and with her messed family. Will they find happiness?

The Star Necklace, by Mayah (@Maya6)
About: You are the most rich girl in your country…on the top of this you’re famous…But what happens when The Star Necklace uncovers your true identity?

Fantasy

Black hearts golden desires, by Madhu (@Madhu)
About: Nand a sorcerer princess of solataria has two beautiful loving sisters, her other two halves.But what happens when it becomes the vice versa and an old enemy from their past comes back for revenge? Will nand overcome it? or will she fail??

Lascivious, by Saul (@saulwinter)
About: An act of treason by a friend throws you into a sinful world where you’re forced to live with & marry a lascivious, sexy stranger. Love, lies & betrayal ahead!

Your Silhouette, by Anby.episode (@anby)
About: You’re a Shade - an elite fighter in Firea. But even with a war on horizon, your greatest plight springs from - a kiss.

Mystery

Clue: Red Eyed Cat, by RachelleFaucet (@RachelleFaucet)
About: Parson Gold, a lonely private eye, made it his mission to discover the truth behind the red eyed cat and the string of murders that follows it.

Romance

A cupcake, please!, by Naomi M. & Yasmin D. (@NanaM)
About: What if love begins with a cupcake and ends with it at the same time? Can you still find the love of your life?

Which one do you want to discuss as the twenty-seventh book of our book club?
(You can vote for up to five stories)

• Lascivious
  • Black Hearts Golden Desires
  • College Days: Becoming Me
  • Strength
  • Your Silhouette
  • The Star Necklace
  • In a Flash
  • Monster In Me
  • A cupcake, please!
  • Somewhere Between Reality and Truth
  • Adventurous: The Prophecy of Time
  • The Show Must Go On
  • Clue: Red Eyed Cat

0 voters

Note: I’ll be voting too. I vote based on the stories’ blurb and whether it interests me! (wink)

2 Likes

Is there something wrong with the poll?

1 Like

Please, could you read the first post and look for how you recommend stories.

I copy and pasted and forgot to change the date. Whoops.
Is the app working for you yet, lovely?

1 Like

Yes thank you, I will hopefully get a few reviews done over the summer because I have been busy with school

1 Like

Guys, about 12 hours to get your review in. PLEASE submit your review for Adventurous: Valour, as we have only had two reviews!

Those who voted…
@LyraKeiken

Those who voted on other stories…
@Episode.Cameronwrite

Those who liked the previous posts (and poll too)…
@MdSava, @Madhu, @csr, @khrema.episode, @JiangShi

MORE recommendations are REALLY needed!

Our twenty-sixth story for our Community Book Club was reviewed by three people, and all the scores will be an average. The book was…

Adventurous: Valour, by TheGreenNebula (@thegreennebula.ep)
It’s an action and here’s the link.
About: You got released from prison after your reign as a super-villain, what will happen when you’re given a scholarship to a mysterious university that’s swarming with heroes?

This story was recommended by @CrazyCaliope!

First Impression (Cover/title/summary)

Rating: 4.98
Hooked by the summary, this reader loved the cover and how it depicted the main character as having two different personas. … Perfect. This story definitely makes you click on it, despite the one grammatical error in the summary.

The story (Content and Flow)

Rating: 4.17
The story was great and made this reader want to continue reading, though some readers may have found the chapters a little short. … The plot idea seemed awesome, however, another reader didn’t feel like it was orchestrated well. Scenes were pretty short, with very little dialogue, and all over we are kept in the dark. Who is Mc? How she got her powers? Why did she go to prison? Would’ve been lovely, if we get some more background info through dialogues. … There were a lot of jumps in time. This reader didn’t think it was necessary to show everything but would like a line of dialogue to tell them how they got there and how much time passed. It just could have been conveyed in a clearer way. For the first and second chapters, there’s not really a goal for the MC. The idea of the story is really unique and could go really far!

Characters

Rating: 3
This reader would like the main character’s best friend who passes away to be more developed. That would make the reader understand how traumatic the event was for the main character and how it affects her currently. They also would have liked the characters to have more depth. Sometimes they’re just saying the dialogue and it feels like they have no other significance. Maybe have them use unique phrases and have unique styles, as some high contrast with other characters would go a long way since there’s not much time to completely flesh them out within the 3 chapters. They really liked the unique superpowers, and how those, kind of, corresponded with each character’s personality, as well as each character’s unique superhero outfit. This may seem unimportant, but it really helps to distinguish each character as a full, detailed character.

Visually (The directing)

Rating: 3.67
Simple but clean. There were a couple of times where the spot positioning left the character not quite standing on the floor. … And sometimes characters just pop up on the screen, so try to spot them outside the screen, then have them walking in, instead of using enters from left/right. Speech bubbles were sometimes pointing the wrong way. However, fight scenes looked good. This reader is a little concerned about the flashing lights for people with epilepsy. Perhaps put a choice to allow the reader to remove flashes to avoid this. There were a couple of issues with character placement, and they would have liked for there to be some faster zooms to convey how quick things happen, like with the best friend’s death. The MC says it happened so fast, but the zooms are really slow and dramatic.

Language (Grammar)

Rating: 4.6
Practically perfect but just a couple of rather wordy sentence.

Choices

Rating: 4
Great impact on the story but there weren’t too many. … Making the MC choose between something serious or a potential relationship was good. Maybe don’t reveal what would have happened with the other option though. That’ll dull the reader’s curiosity of what would have happened, which is what makes big choices so difficult. Maybe there could be more choices to show the reader’s reaction. Like during the phone call when she finds out she’s going to the school, there could be a choice of reacting angrily, calmly, or surprised.

3 was the average number of episodes read by the three reviewers.

GREAT! It’s still in this reader’s recommendation list on the app. … Loved the plot and the whole idea. There could be some changes but overall it was a really good story and they enjoyed reading it. … The idea is great. However, what is in the description doesn’t seem to translate well in the actual story. This story has so much potential, but it needs work. The directing needs adjusting. Keep an eye out on spotting, the layers, and also the speech bubbles. We need more dialogue, which yields actual information. There were scenes that were unnecessary, like going to eat donuts, where we didn’t learn anything. The superhero costumes looked really good, and I loved the number of options that were provided. The only real issue for me was the lack of information. Please add some more dialogue and narration to the story, to make it more appealing.

Final Book Club score is … 4.07

Now for next week’s book, get voting because we only have 16 hours left.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback, I’ll definitely work on it! I’ve noticed that the sentences are very wordy and I’m working on improving that. Also, could you point out the error in the summary please? Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for the story. (wink) I’ll read through your summary and edit it for you.

Summary

Old:
You got released from prison after your reign as a super-villain, what will happen when you’re given a scholarship to a mysterious university that’s swarming with heroes?

Tweaked:
You have just been released from prison after your reign as a super-villain, but what will happen when you’re given a scholarship to a mysterious university that’s swarming with heroes?

This week’s book is…

It’s a mystery and here’s the link.
About: Parson Gold, a lonely private eye, made it his mission to discover the truth behind the red eyed cat and the string of murders that follows it.

Find the review form at the top of the page, and ANYONE can review the story.

Those who voted…
@brinn, @Shania_Rayne,

@csr, @SkyM, @ELx, @khrema.episode, @Episode.Cameronwrite,

MORE recommendations would be appreciated! (WINK)

2 Likes

Ah, so I just said it awkwardly. Thanks :smiley:

1 Like

Guys, a day and a half to get your review in. PLEASE submit your review for Clue: Red Eyed Cat, as we haven’t had any reviews yet!

Those who voted…
@brinn, @Shania_Rayne,

@csr, @SkyM, @ELx, @khrema.episode, @Episode.Cameronwrite

Those who liked the previous posts (and poll too)…
@thegreennebula.ep

Please make sure to get your review in for this week’s book, “Adventurous: Valour” , to share your thoughts, as we have only had one review! (wink)

Please only vote for a story IF you are going to review it (or if it is your own work), PLEASE?!

About stories...
Action

Somewhere Between Reality and Truth, by Cori (@Episode.Cori)
About: Sienna heads down a new exciting, yet dangerous path. Who can she trust when her life is built on lies?

Adventure

Adventurous: The Prophecy of Time, by AJ Nicole (@AJ_Nicole)
About: Alayzia is forced to the land of Terratopia. She must gain courage and take risks to fulfil the prophecy & mend the heart of time before time runs out. Can she do it?

The Show Must Go On, by Amy June & Natasha
About: After DJ loses his battle with Cancer, he leaves behind a bucket list for his friends to complete. Hoping it will open their eyes to live life to the fullest and no regrets.

Drama

College Days: Becoming Me, by Galaxy Girl (@Episode_Queen4)
About: It is your first year of College.You have been bullied your whole life but Is this your chance to make friends and find love?

In A Flash, by Jam C.
About: Oliver has been given a chance on meeting a beautiful stranger who’s a lot like him. Unluckily, he never got the chance to meet her name. Will they meet again?

Monster In Me, by Cameron Oakley (@Episode.Cameronwrite)
About: After your soulmate arrives at your birthday party, you go on a trip to find her missing brother. Will you find out about their past or turn away because she’s an alien?

Strength, by Csr (@csr)
About: Stephanie had her daughter at 17 and her father kicked her out. 18 years later her daughter Katrin struggles with dramas and with her messed family. Will they find happiness?

The Star Necklace, by Mayah (@Maya6)
About: You are the most rich girl in your country…on the top of this you’re famous…But what happens when The Star Necklace uncovers your true identity?

Fantasy

Black hearts golden desires, by Madhu (@Madhu)
About: Nand a sorcerer princess of solataria has two beautiful loving sisters, her other two halves.But what happens when it becomes the vice versa and an old enemy from their past comes back for revenge? Will nand overcome it? or will she fail??

Lascivious, by Saul (@saulwinter)
About: An act of treason by a friend throws you into a sinful world where you’re forced to live with & marry a lascivious, sexy stranger. Love, lies & betrayal ahead!

The Abomination, by Costa (@saulwinter)
About: You’re an angel-demon hybrid that’s viewed as an abomination by everyone. Discover your purpose, battle Lucifer, and survive in the superatural world.

Your Silhouette, by Anby.episode (@anby)
About: You’re a Shade - an elite fighter in Firea. But even with a war on horizon, your greatest plight springs from - a kiss.

Mystery

Romance

A cupcake, please!, by Naomi M. & Yasmin D. (@NanaM)
About: What if love begins with a cupcake and ends with it at the same time? Can you still find the love of your life?

Which one do you want to discuss as the twenty-eighth book of our book club?
(You can vote for up to five stories)

• Lascivious
  • Black Hearts Golden Desires
  • College Days: Becoming Me
  • Strength
  • Your Silhouette
  • The Star Necklace
  • In a Flash
  • Monster In Me
  • A cupcake, please!
  • Somewhere Between Reality and Truth
  • Adventurous: The Prophecy of Time
  • The Show Must Go On
  • The Abomination

0 voters

Note: I’ll be voting too. I vote based on the stories’ blurb and whether it interests me! (wink)

As no one else has reviewed this week’s story AGAIN, despite voting, I ask that you PLEASE NOT vote unless you know you WILL review it, @brinn, @Shania_Rayne,

I also ask this of you @csr, @SkyM, @ELx, @khrema.episode, @Episode.Cameronwrite, and @thegreennebula.ep, even though you voted for other stories.

2 Likes

I’m sorry I’ll try to review the next one

1 Like

Our twenty-seventh story for our Community Book Club was reviewed by two people, and all the scores will be an average. The book was…

It’s a mystery and here’s the link.

This story was recommended by @aprilish!

First Impression (Cover/title/summary)

Rating: 4.95
Loved the cover and description, they were really well designed, and they resembled that of a mystery film. … This is exactly the type of story this reader would be interested in and it was actually in their list of stories to read. However, there was one error that hindered the summary.

The story (Content and Flow)

Rating: 4.4
This is a fantastically interesting story, although the one tiny thing that ruins it is the reader messages. You don’t need to write things like “body drop” and “ominous sound”, the directing is superb, we can actually see and hear that happening.
This part is explained, has the reader completed the chapter. That’s why I ask people to review complete chapters, please! - There was one scene that left the other reader a bit confused. When Mrs Landchester and Parson arrive at the body, why is it still there? Usually, the police would take it in and the coroner would examine it, even if the private eye was working on it at the same time. Sometimes there are very brief scenes that seem a little unnecessary and short. They do wish there could have been a trigger warning for the suicide scene, despite it being in a dream. They stopped reading after that because scenes like that affect them, and they’re sure other readers too. Besides all of that, the plot was really interesting and it left them wanting to read more!

Characters

Rating: 4.5
Superbly written! … One reader was curious as to why Ms Landchester trusts Parson with stuff that could easily incriminate her. Besides that, I found the characters very unique and personal, especially Parson, who is a hard character to flesh out.

Visually (The directing)

Rating: 5
What a great opening, it must have taken forever to do. Well done. The transitions between scenes are also good, with the same red running through the episodes. Absolutely flawless! … The other reader loved the filter, it really put them in the mood of a detective story. They really appreciated using the silhouettes over the red background, that too was reminiscent of a detective show.

Language (Grammar)

Rating: 4.8
Mild mistakes with incorrect word forms used and a couple of weirdly worded sentences. Another one, it’s “dinner”, not “diner”, as a diner is a type of restaurant. A few missing commas too.

Choices

Rating: 0
Choices, there aren’t really any. Readers like choices because it helps them to feel involved. Plus, despite this story being amazing, it was a contest entry, and entries won’t win without proper choices.

1.5 was the average number of episodes read by the two reviewers.

It was great! They wished they could have kept going. … This story was really dark and incredibly awesome, but some choices would have been good too.

Final Book Club score is … 3.94

Now for next week’s book, please check it out and review it below.

1 Like

This week’s book is…

The Abomination, by Costa (@saulwinter)
It’s a fantasy and here’s the link.
About: You’re an angel-demon hybrid that’s viewed as an abomination by everyone. Discover your purpose, battle Lucifer, and survive in the supernatural world.

Find the review form at the top of the page, and ANYONE can review the story.

Those who voted…
@SkyM

@csr, @ELx, @khrema.episode, @Episode.Cameronwrite, @brinn, @Shania_Rayne, @thegreennebula.ep

MORE recommendations would be appreciated! (WINK)

2 Likes

How many chapters should we review?

For more attention to this thread, sorry if you don't want to be tagged

@sam.c
@Summersprit
@xetic
@eilyk
@amberose
@AMagic
@rubywrites
@Rihanna90
@stqrhli
@Diamond.Heart
@keiji
@Luio

7 Likes

I’m down.

2 Likes

I’ll read it. Actually… I’ll reread it since I’ve already read that story and it is my favorite one! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Same tbh :rofl:

2 Likes