The Episode Community Book Club!

Our twenty-eighth story for our Community Book Club was reviewed by two people, and all the scores will be an average. The book was…

The Abomination, by Costa (@saulwinter)
It’s a fantasy and here’s the link.
About: You’re an angel-demon hybrid that’s viewed as an abomination by everyone. Discover your purpose, battle Lucifer, and survive in the supernatural world.

This story was recommended by @SkyM!

First Impression (Cover/title/summary)

Rating: 4.45
For the covers, they looked nice and the title was very fitting, but the summary could’ve used some help. … The other reader thought the story looked interesting, though was not sure it’s this reader’s cup of tea. Also, one mild spelling error.

The story (Content and Flow)

Rating: 3.5
Reader one: The story started out pretty good but then when we got to the birthday party I kind lost a little bit of interest. And some things didn’t add up, like, the MC’s mom is a cop and I don’t if she knew if they were gonna drink, but if she did why didn’t she stop it? The humour was something I really liked, especially the part where that weird fawn hair-coloured dude was ordering while Azazel was plotting against the MC and Stacey. I feel it flowed really well because it gave the 2 girls the time to get out of the place without Azazel finding them. And I liked the part with Synn at the end, it kept me hooked and made me wanna read more.
Reader two: Why is the character breaking the fourth wall and telling the reader to turn the volume up? It disrupts the story and splash would be better to use splashes instead. … What? Sorry, this reader doesn’t understand the joke if it is one. Taking cream and cheese out of cheesecake, isn’t a thing. The main ingredient is cream cheese and if you take it out, all you have is a biscuit base. … Love the reflection part though.

Characters

Rating: 3.75
Reader one: I liked the diversity with the bg police officers and 2 of Zathara’s friends. I like that Ipos is darker than Bael and that they are getting along like BFFs. Azazel and most of the other characters have a darker skin tone which is very nice to see. And Zathara herself has a darker skin tone which makes me think that Costa is a bit more aware of the fact. I felt like the flashback to the scene with her parents when she was running away from Azazel was really nice and added a nice effect. It gave me some insight into what Zathara was thinking and feeling.
Reader two: The characters have some great potential and are really interesting, though a little more detail and backstory would be helpful.

Visually (The directing)

Rating: 4
Reader one: The directing part was amazing and I truly loved the use of spot placing, overlays, filters, transitions, and zooms.It was nice to see the overlay use and how Azazel walked in at the same time that the smoke overlay was clearing, and filters for when we saw what Zathara would be seeing.
Reader two: Love the transitions and close-ups, especially the quick shot of just the eyes. Although, make sure that every line of dialogue has a talking animation. The overlays and music are great too.

Language (Grammar)

Rating: 3.25
Reader one: It wasn’t the best, it was missing a bit of punctuation and some words could be rearranged, but it was very good compared to some of the other things I’ve been reading recently.
Reader two: There were a number of sentences that weren’t phrased correctly and didn’t make the most sense grammatically. … Also, "Nope, Nope, Nope, people DON’T speak using text language in real life. They don’t say “WTF” or “LOL”, they say “What the f**k?” or they laugh. Don’t use slang in a story, unless it’s the character’s personality and it’s only for the speaking. As there are so many errors, getting a proofreader is definitely recommended.

Choices

Rating: 3
Reader one: There were not a lot of choices in the first episode which I really liked because I don’t really like choosing and I like the idea well enough.
Reader two: Far too few, more are needed.

1 was the average number of episodes read by the two reviewers.

Reader one: It was really good, could use some work, but I was really hooked and I really loved it.
Reader two: The directing is GREAT, but the story needs a little more work.

Final Book Club score is … 3.66

Now for next week’s book, get voting because we only have a day left.

1 Like