The Episode Community Book Club!

Okay… I hope you feel better.

1 Like

Alright, I’m feeling more and more unmotivated with this thread since no one is voting AND reviewing. So unless you tell me otherwise, this will be the last review week and then I’m closing the thread. Sorry, but this is supposed to be a book club, NOT a review thread.

• Yes, it’s time to close it!
  • No, please, don’t!
  • I will review stories from now one.
  • Just tag me each week and I’ll review.
  • Up to you, you choose, Caliope.
  • Other, I’ll comment below…
0 voters

This week’s book is…

A cupcake, please!, by Naomi M. & Yasmin D. (@NanaM & @Yasmin.D)
It’s a romance and here’s the link.
About: What if love begins with a cupcake and ends with it at the same time? Can you still find the love of your life?

Find the review form at the top of the page, and ANYONE can review the story.

Those who voted on other stories…
@Rihanna90, @SkyM, @AMagic

Those who have been interested in the page this year…
@RainbowCat, @The_Saminator, @24aya, @lanafrazer_episode, @LillyR, @JannahJackson, @Mashia, @Dr.Smile07, @OueIman, @ELx, @EmpressVanessa, @leia.valentine, @Spes, @loveyourself, @xRubiesAndThrillsx, @Annieways, @LyraKeiken, @TheBigMystery, @AddieAhogey, @Ella, @talesbyrose, @sofia.sigma, @keiji, @mysterypuppy03, @JemU776, @GSG.episode, @granolias, @gabyg, @Skyye, @Atreus, @EliseC, @XxAlphaBetaxX, @Rubyllee, @FallenAngelNight13, @Gaea, @Daisy_W, @AureliaStacy, @appleqrl, @DazzledSnowFlake, @Zelda04, @Episode.Cameronwrite, @EmmaZedler, @Tellyg47, @aprilish, @Episode.BriarRose, @LunaWinter, @CinnamonToast, @hanna_epi, @CStation, @khrema.episode, @brinn, @Shania_Rayne, @thegreennebula.ep, @wanderingechoes

4 Likes

I’ll review later tonight

1 Like

Guys, less than a day to get your review in. PLEASE submit your review for A cupcake, please!, as we have only had one review!

Those who voted on other stories…
@Rihanna90, @SkyM, @AMagic

Those who liked the previous posts (and poll too)…
@Tellyg47, @appleqrl, @Mashia, @aprilish, @Ella, @XxAlphaBetaxX, @LyraKeiken, @Episode.Cameronwrite, @mysterypuppy03, @wanderingechoes, @ELx, @EmmaZedler

4 Likes

aH wHaT i thought i had more time ;o

2 Likes

Umm… (puzzled) it always closes around the same time/day every week…

2 Likes

ah yep I realised but like my brain felt like it was too fast heh- but anywho, I’ll see if I can review ASAP~

2 Likes

Please make sure to get your review in for this week’s book, "A cupcake, please!" , to share your thoughts, to get your review and opinion out there! (wink)

@Summersprit, please check the first post, as your recommendation has already been reviewed in this book club! (wink)

Please only vote for a story IF you are going to review it (or if it is your own work), PLEASE?!

About stories...
Adventure

Adventurous: Space Pirates, by Khrema (@khrema.episode)
About: Meeting the most wanted criminals in galaxy wasn’t exactly a part of your plan but now you’re in the game, will you survive playing cat and mouse with cops?

Clue: The Traveller, by Abby Taylor (@abbytlr)
About: England. 1889.
A psychic traveller named Rosetta returns to the town of Norwood to investigate her mother’s death but finds herself distracted by love, magic and Harry Cromwell.

Drama

Monster In Me, by Cameron Oakley (@Episode.Cameronwrite)
About: After your soulmate arrives at your birthday party, you go on a trip to find her missing brother. Will you find out about their past or turn away because she’s an alien?

Dirty Little Secret, by Anongirl (@Daddyissues)
About: A new girl in town. Briella Hart. She gets detention thanks to Grayson Sanders. She hates him and he hates her. These two play a cat-and-mouse game. But who is the winner?

Mystery

Wicked Eight, by Elizabeth Zaleski & TessS (@fcukforcookies and @Tessx)
About: What seems innocent has sinister consequences in this twisted show. Each night the fight for life is on. The only way to get out alive, find the killer before he finds you.

Vogvhathos, by Corvaena (@Vaena)
About: Powerful and sexy, this dragon is now bound to you in magical servitude. Can you survive or will the dragon’s curse destroy you both?

Romance

Play My Heart, by Maayan (@Maayan)
About: Eden, an aspiring actress, is given the opportunity of a lifetime. Can she handle her new life on set besides a well-known actor, all while being in high school?

Which one do you want to discuss as the thirtieth book of our book club?
(You can vote for up to four stories)

• Monster In Me
  • Adventurous: Space Pirates
  • Wicked Eight
  • Play My Heart
  • The Traveller
  • Vogvhathos
  • Dirty Little Secret

0 voters

Note: I’ll be voting too. I vote based on the stories’ blurb and whether it interests me! (wink)

@brinn, @Tellyg47, @AMagic, @SkyM, @appleqrl

More Recommendations NEEDED, please?!

3 Likes

Can I still review a cupcake please?

1 Like

Yes, I did say a day to do it.

1 Like

Oops, missed that. Sorry for bugging u with my stupidity

1 Like

It’s fine, though I guess you’re reviewing it now.

1 Like

Yep, I’ll try to get the review in later just depends on what device I’m on

1 Like

Okay, cool, though I will be closing the form for this week’s story in a few hours. (wink)

1 Like

Hey :slight_smile: just wanna let you guys know that Wicked Eight is unable to read at the moment, Episode moved the story from our shared account to mine but they didn’t move backgrounds and overlays so we are waiting for a lot of approvals atm. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alright, you guys win in votes then I’ll just postpone it for a few weeks until you tell me you’re ready. (wink)

1 Like

Our twenty-nineth story for our Community Book Club was reviewed by two people, and all the scores will be an average. The book was…

A cupcake, please!, by Naomi M. & Yasmin D. (@NanaM & @Yasmin.D)
It’s a romance and here’s the link.
About: What if love begins with a cupcake and ends with it at the same time? Can you still find the love of your life?

This story was recommended by @CrazyCaliope!

First Impression (Cover/title/summary)

Rating: 3.75
Love the covers and the description, they’re both intriguing. However, on the small cover, the text is very thin and small which makes it a little hard to read on top of the background. Maybe make the text bigger, outline it, add a shadow, or blur the background. … Everything is simple and clean, but a little mundane. Nothing really stands out to attract the reader.

The story (Content and Flow)

Rating: 4
Pretty good and easy to follow, though it was a little slow at the beginning. … There’s a clear plot, that’s conveyed very well. I like how the bakery is involved in the love story, it’s a really cool idea. There were some plot holes, like if Alara’s sister was late, and they have locations in 15 other states, then there would be many employees available, so even if they chose to work, there would be a lot to cover for the father. And if Pete was available to take the shift, why didn’t her father replace himself with Pete earlier? Also, businesses normally don’t buy their resources from little retail shops (it would be too expensive and not have enough product), so usually they buy things from suppliers in bulk.

Characters

A little more backstory would have been nice, but they were still written rather well. … More depth in them would be nice. A lot of characters have bold actions but the intention is never explained. Like Leona says ‘I hate that you do what you want!’, which is very blatant but has no depth or in between. Adding a female love interest felt like an afterthought: a lot of the pronouns were wrong or just misspelt (as here instead of her), for example, Dyson said “Girl, this dude was hella hot!” when she wasn’t a dude, then “Pack your ass and follow him!” when she wasn’t a him, and Alara said something like “But he didn’t come”. Dyson also seems a bit stereotypical (using ‘girl’ excessively and such).

Visually (The directing)

Rating: 4.35
Not too bad, it was pleasing to the eye, but there were a couple of minor errors. The timing on the opening splashes were a little long. The younger love interest CC wasn’t on screen, the words after the CC blended into the background, making it hard to read. … The other reader played this on the iPad and unfortunately, the authors didn’t pay much attention to how it would look on that device, so the intros and splashes weren’t really visible. You also forgot to change the customization template (so that when customizing your LI, it wouldn’t say ‘I look amazing’ as an option). They really liked the mirror overlay though. Besides that, the directing was pretty good.

Language (Grammar)

Rating: 2.85
Not too bad, though the written emojis aren’t necessary, as it is a story, not a text message. Also, don’t use two dots; it’s one for a period or three for an ellipsis. There were number of incorrect words (or not even words) used, as well as incorrectly formed sentences. … Spelling mistakes like ‘imagen’ instead of ‘imagine’ and some grammar ones with misplaced commas and incorrect punctuation. One sentence specifically that needed to be worked on was 'Well I chought a weird girl insead my future wife". They would suggest getting a proofreader for this and also felt like they went a little overboard with the text effects, so maybe they could limit them a little.

Choices

A few but the reader can’t really get a feel for how important they are. … They were enjoyable. Though I would have liked some choices with more or an impact, I can understand why they would want to keep the choices light for a light story.

2-3 was the average number of episodes read by the two reviewers.

This reader enjoyed it and it’s still in their recommendations. … There could be some improvement, but it was a nice read and they liked the premise a lot.

Final Book Club score is … 3.74

Now for next week’s book, get voting because we only have 18 hours left.

There were two top stories this week, so @Tessx’s story will be up on another week when she informs me that the story is ready. (wink)

This week’s book is…

Monster In Me , by Cameron Oakley (@Episode.Cameronwrite)
It’s a drama and here’s the link.
About: After your soulmate arrives at your birthday party, you go on a trip to find her missing brother. Will you find out about their past or turn away because she’s an alien?

Find the review form at the top of the page, and ANYONE can review the story.

It’s passed now…

MORE recommendations would be appreciated! (WINK)

5 Likes

Guys, a day and a half to get your review in. PLEASE submit your review for Monster In Me, as we have only had two reviews!

Those who voted…
@SkyM, @mysterypuppy03

Those who wanted me to tag you each week…
@Tellyg47, @AMagic, @appleqrl, @Mashia

Those who liked posts above…
@CinnamonToast, @Tessx

MORE recommendations would be appreciated! (WINK)

2 Likes

Oop- since I’m reading I’ll read that after I finish the current episode. Sorry for forgetting :confused: still not used to this

1 Like