The Episode Community Roundtable (Current Events Happening)

Yes! ^^ Most independents are in that area ^^

Independents are usually right in center, kinda leaning one way or another depending on the issue/subject. This identity, as I mentioned before, definitely changes with time in people, too. I used to be a little more left than I am now. I’d say I was most definitely centrist, but since I’ve grown up and seen more and gotten a lot more into politics, I’ve kinda gotten more and more towards conservatism.

Like, in 2008, I would have voted for Obama no question. In 2012, I was on the fence. I think I ultimately would have voted Romney, but there’s no way to know there, honestly. I wasn’t actually paying as much attention that election. I was so thankful McCain didn’t win in 2008, though >.> X’DD The only thing I know is that in 2012, I would not have ever voted Hillary. X’DD

At this 2016 election…this election was just a damn mess. I was rooting so hard for Jeb Bush or Ted Cruz lol

1 Like

Yeah, 2016 itself was a mess. Marco Rubio, that one woman, and Bernie Sanders were my choices

1 Like

Ah yeah!! I liked some of the things Rubio was saying!!! X’D…If I remember correctly, Rubio definitely brought some laughs out of me (in a good way). Are you talking about Carly Fiorina? I totally forgot what that one woman was that I kinda liked, I had to look them up because I couldn’t remember XD didn’t make an impression, you know?

1 Like

Rubio was fierce as hell :joy:

And, yes, Carly. She was ok. In the first part of the race, she seemed legit, but didn’t leave an impression on a lot of people.

1 Like

Well…I’m really bloody angry at the Republican party right now.

James Allsup is one of my favorite political commentators. I don’t agree with everything he says all the time. But I love his content. I didn’t know that he was an elected official in his district (because I’m not over there, mostly X’DDD) And this happened…-_-

This…infuriates me. Infuriates me. See…Republicans are saying he’s far-right, but he is not.

Why? Do you now know that a handful are assholes?

1 Like

What happened?

1 Like

They’re trying to kick him off and out of the GOP and trying to villify him. It is just in this area he’s in, many of them are saying he’s supremacist and a neo-Nazi and all this jazz to keep him out of politics by taking away his rights ^^’ Media thinks it is a win, because of course they do.

Smh…I need to relax. Grusfrappa…deepbreaths.

What did he say though?

Ok I don’t where to post this so … so I am posting it here …

#Mee too campaign
I remember clearly what I was taught as a girl by people around me - If a guy “teases” you (yeah that’s literally the euphemism used for sexual harassment), look down and get away from there. Do not do anything that will bring attention to you.

I feel sorry for all those who think like that. Who have such low opinion of men and who are OK with sexual harassment and treat it like its normal.

I wasn’t taught to fight back and I wasn’t taught to speak up.

What do I think about the me too movement?

Nothing much has changed. There is still backlash, slut shaming and clear cut male hysteria over what can be called as a campaign of women speaking up about their harassment.

Every time women speak about their issues you will see a backlash which falls into one of the following -

• These rich, bollywood types don’t know the real problems faced by women. The real issues are rapes and violence against women. Western imitation. Borrowed feminism. This is what was argued by Tavleen Singh, . So, basically women should only complain if they get raped. Under that, it is all irrelevant. If it is coming from the rich, it is irrelevant. This kind of argument is basically trying to create a class divide within feminism in order to distract you from addressing the real problem. The real problem across the world is both violence against women as well as rape culture and these arguments come within the bounds of rape culture. It is a culture that refuses to believe the victims and makes it extraordinarily difficult for women to report. All of this collectively is a problem. Just because someone is reporting molestation doesn’t mean that the plight of rape victims is taken away. The women reporting molestation and feminists are going to be most supportive of women who faced worse situations. It is the detractors of me too, who are going to question the kind of clothes the rape victims were wearing. Again, just because cancer exists, doesn’t mean people should stop going to the doctor for a root canal.
  • The women used their position to get favours and are complaining later. They should have reported then itself. They didn’t because they stood to gain. This is another common one. Sure, I agree they should have complained then itself. But let’s look at professional settings, shall we? Before the The Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act came about in 2013, there were only the Vishakha Guidelines issued by the SC to deal with sexual harassment and workplace. Basically, there was no law. So, let that sink in first. Before 2013, there was no law with penalties. After, in organised sectors at least, you now have some mechanism for women to complain. But that is for organised sector. Film industry, or any other unorganised sector has literally no mechanism. So, if I am a newbie who has left everything for an ambitious career in the film industry, I am firstly, replaceable. Secondly, in a country where people think twice before filing a civil case against a person having marginally more money, contacts than them, do you really think it is easy to file criminal cases against powerful people? Most women who work in workplaces where sexual harassment is common (and it is extremely common), have literally no choice. They cannot quit. They cannot complain. They cannot refute strongly for the fear of repercussions too. Such a situation in real life is truly pathetic.
  • Why after 10 years? This is for publicity - OK, maybe it is for publicity. Sure, it is belated. And So? Literally so what? How in the wide world should a crime be ignored just because the victim complained later? Just think a little for a moment and weigh. What is more grave really? People not being able to complain because of the delay or creating a safe work space where even if delayed, an opportunity of being heard is available? Specially where our nation is in a dire effing need of it? I am not even getting into the discussion that there is literally nothing to be gained by all these women by coming up with allegations now. In fact in reality, they stand to lose a lot and not gain.
  • Men’s lives are ruined - This is such an overreaction. Firstly, all these armchair activists are the ones jumping to conclusion. There are real world consequences of either the men admitting and apologising or stepping down from their positions fearing a backlash for PR reasons. Other than people resigning over PR issues or stepping down temporarily, in the real world, nothing has changed. Social media outrage notwithstanding. What is actually needed is real world action in the court of law. Which will happen slowly, now that the law enforcers are being forced to take sexual harassment seriously. And now that more and more women are getting the courage to speak up and file cases.

Here’s what I think we, as sane and educated humans should do -

1. Encourage victims (men, women and others) to speak up.
  2. Create a society where sexual harassment is not tolerated.
  3. Set up mechanisms for complaining even in unorganised sectors.
  4. Investigate the allegations through law enforcement agencies.
  5. Try the Accused.
  6. Give them a hearing.
  7. Leave the judgment to the judge.

It isn’t rocket science.

I am happy with the movement because to bring about a change, it is just the first step…

4 Likes

Can I get a “hell yes”? I agree with everything you said.

However, it is also dividing America, and some of the falsely accused have committed suicide. What do you say to that? How does that make you feel?

3 Likes

Sexual harassment also happens at schools.

3 Likes

I don’t know much about America though so I am not going to comment on that … But false accusations…
The movement itself doesn’t encourage false accusations. The issue is that the movement is predicated on “guilty until proven innocent” and a dogpiling mentality.

I am skeptical of the accusers because they almost always include an event that happened close to or more than a decade ago, there by, it is almost impossible to prove/disprove.

Those that add their accusations after the fact are ones that should be taken with a lot of caution. Often it is done by celebrities with waning careers that are more than hungry for media attention.

3 Likes

Mhm… So if you were in this predicament, as a lawyer, how would you handle it?

1 Like

Hell yes it happens in school … Ok is Mee too campaign is helpful for a girl who is 13 years old and a school student ?

1 Like

Can I message you about something?

1 Like

Sure :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Ok.

1 Like

Are you talking about James? If you are, it is just his ideologies. He’s an American Nationalist like me, and some people think that means you’re automatically racist or something. The guy that spoke about him to his section was saying that he’d participated in a Nazi march, which he didn’t. He filmed it, he wasn’t part of the march, he was just taking video coverage of it.