The Episode Community Roundtable (Current Events Happening)

I found a really interesting article I think really could shed some light for us.

3 Likes

Neither of them can understand each other, unfortunately.

1 Like

Big truth.

1 Like

My post is defying me
actually making me really upset. X’DDD I’m trying to quote you.

Big truth.

EDIT: There we go! >.> Jeez, wtf

1 Like

Does anyone watch Steve Crowder’s Change My Mind series?
I personally do but feel as if he does not go into his conversations with an open mind, but it is fun to see how people react.

I don’t think we can truly specify Hate Speech because it differentiates over periods of time and everyone views it differently and giving that ability to decide what is and isn’t hate to the government can slowly transform to fascism. Our government representatives are constantly changing, which means the definitions can most definetely change.

3 Likes

I love his Change My Mind videos! Some of my favorite things to watch. My favorite one ever I think is “there are only 2 genders” the first version. X’DDD The second one
eh, I agree, he was kind of extra dickish. Really unnecessary.

Agree with everything else you said, too <3

1 Like

Absolutely.

There are only 2 genders was one of the ones where I actually think that he had some interesting points to make. Like the question, okay if there aren’t 2 genders how many are there? I do think that Steve is amazing though, how is he so calm when so many passive aggressive people come and literally spit in his face, interrupt him etc. I do remember one view he made though in that video, about how we are accepting various different cultural beliefs from so many different places who are we to say which are wrong and which are right? What do you think on that matter?

1 Like

That’s deep

1 Like

Would love to see more stories that feature or revolve around their country and cultures. I understand most are writing from the USA and its the most familiar place to the whole world in terms of plot position and shared culture. But I am from South Africa and I try to feature South africa and its cultures in my stories. Would love to see other stories that do this too, featuring life in those counties, like France, Australia, china, Italy.

Might even be educational to learn some basic ideas of what another country of an entirely different culture is like.

4 Likes

I’d love to see a story set in Europe, Asia, Africa or even South America.

1 Like

I personally don’t think it is too difficult to tell what is wrong and what is right. The problem we have, that’s actually talked thoroughly in the fee.org article I linked up there, is that a lot of people can’t agree on what is moral and what isn’t. There are plenty of things that people can see and a majority of people can agree what is right and wrong, but there are other things that people just can’t agree.

For the specific question, “Who are we to say which are wrong and which are right?” We are the people that live in the west. The cultural practices that are not compatible with our greater values in the west, free speech, freedom of expression, free market, etc, those are the practices I think we have every right to reject and say “Those are wrong, those aren’t compatible with our values.”

We the people, a country run by a government that is supposed to be run by us, by the people for the people, decide what’s right and what’s wrong. Any cultural practice that says “you can’t say X”, the people of the west want to reject that and we should. A cultural practice that says “wear this or else”, we should refuse it.

That’s the beauty of our republic. We have a document of law. As long as your cultural practices do not violate our document of law, ie slavery, cannibalism, policing fashion, language, expression and/or media, we can accept them, sure. I don’t think we should force others to accept new practices, though.

So if you find something in a culture that you like and decide to adopt it or something like it for your own life, you cannot force people around you to acknowledge, respect, like, or change themselves for the new ideas you’ve adopted. Once we go that far, it is too far.

2 Likes

There’s a line between autocracy and democracy. We must respect that line.

1 Like

How do you feel about female representation in journalism?

1 Like

I feel like its fine I guess shrugs No comment? >.>

1 Like

Yeah, because it has nothing to do with you?

1 Like

Maybe a little shrugs. I don’t necessarily want to go into journalism, so that could be a reason why I’m not too into it.

:thinking: I don’t think there’s like “not enough” women or anything like that. Just fine shrugs. I do personally hope that you get in, though ^^ If that’s still what you want

1 Like

Maybe. I still have a few years of high school left

1 Like

If this report from 2016 is any indication, it could definitely be better.

If it’s an industry you want to get into, don’t let it discourage you though. Join the school paper if you can to feel it out.

2 Likes

Interesting
 I’m a woman of color.

1 Like