The First Chapter

The first chapter is one of the most important chapters in overall stories, because it determines if a reader will stick with the story. With that being said, it also makes it one of the hardest chapters to write, so I’ve come here to ask y’all.

Basically, my story is about a girl trying to find the murderer of her sister, so she accepts a job working at the White House because she thinks that will give her a lead on her sisters murder. But slowly, the MC falls for the LI. I don’t know how I would start the first chapter though. I was thinking possibly having the future scene (the ending, where it all falls down, but not including any of the clues to her sister’s murder). Does anyone have any ideas?

5 Likes

personally, I’m not a huge fan of beginning a story with the ending, I think it can ruin the tension and cliffhangers throughout because we’ve already seen a glimpse of the ending. I think for a story like this starting with the sisters murder could be a good idea, or maybe the MC frantically trying to get the job at the white house so she can start to uncover the truth. Something like this will create a sense of mystery from the get go.

2 Likes

I really like that idea of her trying to get the job. I think I could add glimpse of her sister, like her finding her sister dead possibly, which will just motivate her more?

3 Likes

personally I hate this.
1: its a spoiler
2: reader have to wait on it in forever. lets say it happens in chapter 15. for me it take a mounth to write a chapter. that would be 15 mounts wait time.
3: it locks your story, meaning this have to happen, which means if you change mind, on what is happening it can make it difficult for you.

5 Likes

i think thats a good idea, its important to have a solid reason why the MC is doing what shes doing and this will do that i think

3 Likes

Moved to Share Feedback since this is about story ideas. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

I personally love when stories start with a climax set in the future. So I think it’s a good idea, as long as it won’t reveal too much as you said. Here are some ideas how you can continue after that:

• MC is on her way to the job interview with a cab. She seems nervous, the driver offers her a mint. She goes over her plan in her head.

• MC is already in the interview, at the end. The interviewer says “Impressive CV, miss X. Thank you for your time. We’ll contact you.” Then on the way back home she “explains” the situation to the readers.

• MC’s bestfriend is on the phone with her. Screaming and squieling into her ear. She says “You got the job, am I right?”

I think starting the story with her new job is the best way to introduce it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

I personally don’t like things that give a flash forward… I think it’s incredibly overused and I prefer being in the present… or the past! Starting in the past would be interesting!

3 Likes

You can start with a flashback of mc with her sister, or at least include a scene somewhere to establish the sort of relationship they had and also to get the reader to actually care about her. The rest of the episode I agree could be mc trying to get the job after something makes her decide to look for her sister’s murderer.

5 Likes

Hi! I agree with some of the other posts that don’t want a spoiler at the beginning, but what if you did a mystery-style intro that had like important clues for the ending? Kind of like an easter egg kinda thing? :eyes:

Also welcome to the forums @savdrinkstea!! :yay:

2 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile: I’ve been lurking for awhile but finally decided to actually make an account haha

5 Likes

That’s a good idea, thank you.

Welcome to the forums!

1 Like

Hii what’s your story name? I’d love to read it :slight_smile:

Hey! Sorry for the late reply! But it is called Discovering Justice!

It isn’t out yet sadly

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.