The Handmaid's Tale - RP SIGN UPS -

In the near future, fertility rates collapse as a result of sexually transmitted diseases and environmental pollution. With this chaos, the totalitarian, theonomic government of “Gilead” establishes rule in the former United States in the aftermath of a civil war. Society is organized by power-hungry leaders along with a new, militarized, hierarchical regime of fanaticism and newly created social classes, in which women are brutally subjugated, and by law are not allowed to work, own property, handle money, or read. Worldwide infertility has resulted in the conscription of the few remaining fertile women in Gilead, called “Handmaids”, according to an extremist interpretation of a Biblical account. They are assigned to the homes of the ruling elite, where they must submit to ritualized rape by their male masters in order to become pregnant and bear children for those men and their wives. These rituals will NOT be featured in the RP.

Alongside the red-clad Handmaids, much of society is now grouped into classes that dictate their freedoms and duties. Women are divided into a small range of social categories, each one signified by a similarly-styled plain dress in a specific color: Handmaids wear red, Marthas (who are housekeepers and cooks) wear green, and Wives (who are expected to run their households) wear blue. Econowives, the lower-class women who still have minimal agency, are sort of a mixture of all these categories, and they wear gray. Women prisoners are called Carols and are worked to death clearing toxic waste. Another class of women, Aunts (who train and oversee the Handmaids), wear brown. Additionally, the Eyes are a secret police watching over the general populace for signs of rebellion, Hunters track down people attempting to flee the country, and Jezebels are prostitutes in secret brothels catering to the elite ruling class.

The people in Gilead have been living under this government for three years, and while some are completely content with their new positions in life, some are very unhappy (and rightfully so). There are whispers of a revolution. The Eyes - the secret police - seem to be on the people’s side nowadays, not officially, of course, but the people are still starting to have hope. Will the people of Gilead finally get their freedom?

You will be able to roleplay as Handmaids, Marthas, Wives and Commanders (the husbands).

Each household must have one Wife, one Commander, one Martha and one Handmaid (if the household doesn’t already have children).

Tagging the people who said they’d be interested/maybe would be interested ~

@SilverStar @Chocolate_Mama @epi.alyssaa @Vanille @queenkhadijah999

Cool!

Reserve for handmaid

Reserve for handmaid

Reserve for a Martha! :wink:

Reserve for a Eyes

Bump!

This is pretty good for a roleplay. Could we have more than 1? Reserve for a wife, carol, and handmaid if i can.
Reserve for only a carol if i can’t.

There’s no position for a carol
@Ypsilon

I’ll put down one reserve for a Martha please!

Feel free to just reserve for a wife and a handmaid. :relaxed:

Thanks for confirming

buuuummp

A question, does alcohol exist in the timeline? I need it for my Form.
And do all handmaids become into wives?
@Ypsilon

Yes, alcohol does exist, but drinking is frowned upon. And no handmaids can ever become wives, and wives can never become handmaids (there could of course be exceptions, but probably not).

oh thanks.

bump

Reserve for a handmaid! I love this show sm! My sister’s planning on getting the book this summer so I’m gonna read it! Am I, like, the only one who actually watches this show here?

Yeey! And yeah, seems like it, haha.

Bump