The issue no one is talking about: Tracing

Hey you beautiful people of episode!

It has come to my attention a general issue on the forums that no one is speaking up about, so I’d like to talk about.

Scrolling through the talented art shops some caught my eye. I’m not pointing fingers at anyone but I started to notice some tracing. Tracing other people’s art and movie scenes to images without credit. Tracing is not the same as a reference! Referencing is drawing while looking at the image, not putting your drawing utensil over it. I’m not particularly worried if you do trace or not, it’s the simple thing of: giving credit. Yes, tracing movie scenes does need credit! The photo does not belong to you, nor did you draw it from scratch- therefore credit!

I deeply apologize if anyone is pained by this I just felt like I needed to point out the elephant in the room. If you didn’t draw it from scratch there’s no shame in saying you didn’t! Art is fun and for everyone but credit is needed for the other people who put time and effort into that original drawing or picture. This isn’t a statement it’s a fact.

26 Likes

Can we also talk about photo smudging for a second? This right here is not okay. I understand that people want to be as creative as possible on this platform, but tracing and smudging photos isn’t the way to do it. So please, if you are one of the people smudging and tracing pieces of art or photos , please stop. Artists spend hours upon hours bringing artwork to life, and I can bet it isn’t for everyone to go and trace it. Now back to photo smudging. Photographers also spend hours upon hours making the pictures look just perfect. And again I say, it isn’t for you to trace them. :skull: Don’t think it isn’t noticeable, because it is. Like it is stated in this thread, please give credit if you do however trace a scene from movie, etc etc. But, it isn’t okay to trace artist’s and photographer’s works even when giving credit. So please, stop this.

that was long oops

16 Likes

Tbh, this was an issue that everyone was talking about at one point. So much so that @Melani3 made a post about it Episode Explained: Art and References

6 Likes

That’s a shame no is still talking about it I see it so much it bothered me

1 Like

yess!! i made a topic about this earlier and it’s bothering me on how many obviously traced artwork i’ve come across!

as an old victim of having their artwork traced, it’s absolutely disappointing to find beginner artists trace over your artwork and claim it as theirs.

those reading this: please don’t trace over artwork, it’s extremely obvious that you did it. there’s no way you can cover that up :))

4 Likes

I’m very sorry that happened to you
It’s completely unethical, I hope we can make people aware how Important credit is in tracing

2 Likes

We are all here to support each other so it should be that way…there is no harm in asking for help or giving credit to the right person

3 Likes

in my opinion, i believe even with credit, you shouldn’t be making a ‘business’ with traces artwork (even for free). if people should want that certain art style, they should go straight to the original artist for commissions or look for someone else.

it’s like making fake branded products, y’know?

4 Likes

I also believe so! But I didn’t want to discourage or start a war in the post :joy: I really think tracing in general isn’t the way to go maybe if your practicing and keeping to yourself. Making money off it is worse.
No one wants a fake Gucci bag :joy:

2 Likes

yess!! hoping to see less traces artwork, especially on this platform :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Backgrounds I can understand if someone random searches up one on the Internet or recommends it to them but doesn’t know who it belongs to. But artwork, people usually share it along with their name and user. It’s completely unreasonable why they can’t just use it as is and credit the maker at the end. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I still even think backgrounds should be credited
But yes I agree :triumph: I will slap people to get it through to them

3 Likes

sorry i just saw this :skull: but yaass you’re right
Me trying to write something related to the topic but cant :skull:

2 Likes

gasp
BUMP THIS SHAT

3 Likes

Bump bump, I’m 154746% agee with you! More people should acknowledge this as there aren’t many people talking about it. Tracing anyone’s art or real photo, it’s still tracing bruh

4 Likes

Just a tips for artist that are struggling with anatomy without tracing!

Put the face of your episode character on the muse for the right head proportion, then with a blue pencil do the shapes of the pose (the bust as a rectangle, the arms as long ovals, the hands and shoulders as circles). Then move the pic of the muse so that it can be at the side of your drawing and you can use it as a reference, but you still have the base. Do the lineart with a black pen so u can see the contrast.
I don’t think I explained well, but hopefully you are still able to understand what I mean.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting this thread! This definitely needs some acknowledging. :sparkles:

1 Like

:pensive: the tracing art scenes cop43jo’fcre

1 Like