The stuff that blacks have created

Me and my mom looked up what black people created; Our accomplishments, We made the stoplight, Toilet paper, Cellphone, The first cellphones, Tvs, Computers, Perm, Wash and dryer, Microphone, the Supercomputer and helped invent the light bulb and the cooling system for to transport frozen dinner to keep them fresh, brakes in cars, the blood banks, heart surgery, etc. so much more! It is so cool!

Black peeps created so much stuff in America that the thought of them never being born like so many peeps that r racist want, America would be so outdated looks like the stone ages, seriously, no toilet paper?!

I am seriously afraid of what would become of us.

I am seriously afraid of what would become of us.
Did u know that a black peeps made most of the stuff in America, even toilet paper?!?!

I know that post may tick most of the people on this site off

The List:

3 Likes

Thats Great! Just wondering why you posted this here?

Just wanted peeps on here know. Just seems on other sites, most peeps don’t to notice them.

1 Like

Tell em sis! You just made my day! :heart:

I’m black, too. This is what me and my mom calls us. :expressionless:

This reminds me of an article I read that discusses how black Americans were historically denied the ability to take credit for their own work, which leads to many of us today not realizing how integral black inventions were, are, and will continue to be in everyday life. It’s incredibly uncomfortable yet necessary for privileged white Americans to acknowledge how much undeserved power we have over matters like this. White Americans have shaped the narrative of our whole country’s technological progression to be entirely in our favor, to the point where black innovators could never get the credit they deserved because they legally couldn’t even apply for a patent.
The article is linked here if anyone is interested in reading it.

6 Likes

:clap:t5::clap:t5::clap:t5::clap:t5::clap:t5:

Moved to General Chat as this is not Episode-related. :wink:

From what I remember from history class, black people didn’t invent the computer?

1 Like

Charles Babbage invented the first Modern computer. He was White and British lmao. Perhaps @Trying_To_Help should change the list to The stuff that African Americans have Produced rather than created.

Not all black people are African Americans btw. Not all Black people in America are even African Americans lmao. The list needs to be more specific.

1 Like

I don’t understand why you posted this though? Lots of white people invented amazing things as well but nobody really cares what race you were or who invented the item. We just use what we’re given.

1 Like

Maybe OP meant Mark E. Dean? He led the design team that invented a one-gigahertz computer processor chip & is the co-creator of the modern IBM personal computer.

Either way, topics like this are nice because historically, a lot of inventions made by marginalized groups (specifically women & racial minorities) were incorrectly credited to white dudes. It’s nice to spread awareness & give credit where credit is due.

3 Likes

Can you give me some examples of those please?
(I’m just curious as to what ones you mean :slight_smile:)

Sorry for butting in, but in reference to the lovely article I linked earlier, here are just a few examples:

1. “Slave owners often took credit for their slaves’ inventions. In one well-documented case, a black inventor named Ned invented an effective, innovative cotton scraper. His slave master, Oscar Stewart, attempted to patent the invention. Because Stewart was not the actual inventor, and because the actual inventor was born into slavery, the application was rejected. Stewart ultimately began selling the cotton scraper without the benefit of patent protection and made a significant amount of money doing so.”

2. “One such innovator was Henry Boyd, who was born into slavery in Kentucky in 1802. After purchasing his own freedom in 1826, Boyd invented a corded bed created with wooden rails connected to the headboard and footboard. The ‘Boyd Bedstead’ was so popular that historian Carter G. Woodson profiled his success in the iconic book ‘The Mis-education of the Negro,’ noting that Boyd’s business ultimately employed 25 white and black employees. Though Boyd had recently purchased his freedom and should have been allowed a patent for his invention, the racist realities of the time apparently led him to believe that he wouldn’t be able to patent his invention. He ultimately decided to partner with a white craftsman, allowing his partner to apply for and receive a patent for the bed.”

3. “Benjamin Montgomery, who was born into slavery in 1819, invented a steamboat propeller designed for shallow waters in the 1850s. This invention was of particular value because, during that time, steamboats delivered food and other necessities through often-shallow waterways connecting settlements. If the boats got stuck, life-sustaining supplies would be delayed for days or weeks. Montgomery tried to apply for a patent. The application was rejected due to his status as a slave. Montgomery’s owners tried to take credit for the propeller invention and patent it themselves, but the patent office also rejected their application because they were not the true inventors.”

While these innovators experienced varying degrees of success in promoting their work without patents, the fact remains that none of them were awarded rightful credit for their inventions due to oppressive legislation that made receiving a patent impossible.

4 Likes

Amen!!!

Philip Emeagwali, using 65,000 processes invented the world’s first super computer — able to perform 3.1 billion calculations per second.

Yes the Black man created the super computer no one did it before him. lmao

Patricia Bath A Black Woman
Inventing the Laserphaco Probe
In 1981, Bath began working on her most well-known invention: the Laserphaco Probe (1986). Harnessing laser technology, the device created a less painful and more precise treatment of cataracts. She received a patent for the device in 1988, becoming the first African-American female doctor to receive a patent for a medical purpose. (She also holds patents in Japan, Canada and Europe.) With her Laserphaco Probe, Bath was able to help restore the sight of individuals who had been blind for more than 30 years.

Philip Emeagwali, using 65,000 processes invented the world’s first super computer — able to perform 3.1 billion calculations per second.

Yes the Black man created the super computer no one did it before him. lmao

Patricia Bath A Black Woman
Inventing the Laserphaco Probe
In 1981, Bath began working on her most well-known invention: the Laserphaco Probe (1986). Harnessing laser technology, the device created a less painful and more precise treatment of cataracts. She received a patent for the device in 1988, becoming the first African-American female doctor to receive a patent for a medical purpose. (She also holds patents in Japan, Canada and Europe.) With her Laserphaco Probe, Bath was able to help restore the sight of individuals who had been blind for more than 30 years.

I’m so damn happy you posted this as a topic! :heart:

1 Like

Let the Caucasians tell it (the prejudice ones I am speaking of)- they have created everything when the truth is minorities have made great contributions that the Caucasians took credit for. “His Story” is what the history class is all about a whole lot of lies and social control. Blacks, Hispanics, Africans, Mexicans, Native Americans etc. we all have made great contributions but you will not hear of it in History class only what Caucasians have done and it is selfish and prideful.

We all have to live here so we might as well get along.
The Texas Board of Education had a meeting and part of the discussion was as follows:
There were efforts by Hispanic board members to include more Latino figures as role models for the state’s large Hispanic population were consistently defeated, prompting one member, Mary Helen Berlanga, to storm out of a meeting late Thursday night, saying, “They can just pretend this is a white America and Hispanics don’t exist.”

“They are going overboard, they are not experts, they are not historians,” she said. “They are rewriting history, not only of Texas but of the United States and the world.” that is what happened in the meeting

We hear everyday what Caucasians do.
Why are you mad because we post what Black people have done. I don’t get it, why should that make anyone angry.

-------and I am not prejudice at all.
To hate someone because of their skin shade is ridiculous.

1 Like

Not mad. Just curious :slight_smile: