Theme of next contest and the old themes

I want to speed up my process of writing so I thought joining the contest would make it easier to get reads and deadline would make me write faster.

What do you think the next contest will be about, and can anyone list me all of the old contests?

Thanks! (Oh and this might be a discussion thread about the themes if you guys want to! Just tell me and I’ll make the questions!)

2 Likes

You can see all the old contests on the app.

Based on past trends, I would imagine the next contest will be for February and likely Valentine’s related. There’s typically six contests a year (one every 2 months).

Past contests (from latest to oldest):
  • College Days (current)
  • Thriller (Halloween)
  • Dirty Dancing (special prize)
  • Fantastical
  • H&V
  • Spotlight on Love (Valentine’s day)
  • Star Power
  • Haunted (Halloween)
  • Perfect Pitches (special prize)
  • Dream Job
  • Mysterious
  • Cupid’s Arrow (Valentine’s Day)
  • Rebounding
  • All Hallows (Halloween)
  • Adventures Away
  • Summer Fling
  • Graduation
  • Mother’s Day
  • Spring Break
  • Valentine’s 2016 (Valentine’s)
  • Holiday 2015
5 Likes

Thank you Elise! But how would it work? Valentines Day is 14th February, there would be only one month to write.

They usually announce contests about 6-8 weeks before the deadline (depending on the contest, it’s usually closer to 8 weeks) so I’d imagine they’ll announce the February contest in early December or late November.

2 Likes

I just remembered we have December and January. I thought January didn’t exist for a second :rofl:
Did Cupid’s Arrow had to revolve around a real cupid? I wish there was a way to look at the old announcement posts…

1 Like

Nah it didn’t. I remember reading the rules and they said you could take Cupid literally or figuratively. I think it just had to be “love when least expected” or something like that.

1 Like

I hope we get something like that again. Just a romance story sounds blunt and I can imagine the endless amount of bad boy entries :rofl:

1 Like

Lol the spotlight one was super broad: it just had to be about love, any love (not just romantic).

2 Likes

A mother’s love for her child sounds the best in that case. I wonder if anyone did a story like that :smirk:

3 Likes
  • Thriller (Halloween)
  • Fantastical
  • H&V
  • Haunted (Halloween)
  • Dream Job
  • Mysterious
  • All Hallows (Halloween)
  • Adventures Away

These sound the best tbh

1 Like

tenor

3 Likes

It seems that Valentine’s Day and Halloween are pretty much “given” (but of course, Episode may choose to spite me and host a completely different contest for February lol).

Personally, I like the contests where your entry has to be completed. (Then you also don’t need to worry about the author discontinuing the story lol.)
I’ve entered four contests and three of them needed to be completed stories :joy:

6 Likes

Here’s a question (for anyone): Do you prefer when the theme’s are more broad (e.g All Hallows, Pitch Perfect (just had to be a comedy), Thriller, Spotlight on Love) or when things are more specific (e.g Mysterious- you HAD to solve a mystery by the end; College Days- the MC is in her first year of college; Dream Job- need to accept an offer at the end of episode 1; Dirty Dancing)?

I’ve entered both, but I honestly like when the contests are a little more specific as the prompts help give me ideas :joy:

5 Likes

I’m the opposite! I like when things are broader because I have free rein. I think I struggled with the College Days entry bc of that specifier of first year of college (story’s abandoned at this point for good reason), and mine was more suited for someone who’s close to the end of college/middle of college.

1 Like

hops into the discussion

I like stuff that are more broad- genre wise. Thriller was too Thriller for me :frowning:

4 Likes

I hope we get a Christmassy/ New Year contest next year!

7 Likes

I like it more when they give you some sort of plot to start with. I would’ve absolutely want more of this contests. But I can see why people don’t prefer this, it limits some stuff.

Also, a question: Out of all the contests that have been done before, what is your favorite? (You don’t have win/enter)

Mine was ironically H&V, I liked it a lot because it challenged a lot of writers to come up with unique plots and a lot of the stories had amazing directing that they scored 4.0 in the grading. Fantastical was good as well but…a lot of winners didn’t update their story after winning so it didn’t interest me anymore.

5 Likes

And most of the time, the title of the contest already sparks an idea in your head. Heroes&Villains, you already are thinking of a story. I read the title on the forums (it was my first time in the new forums and I was actually able to use the forums unlike the old ugly one. Shoutout to whoever designed this new forum) and immediately thought of misunderstood heroes. But Fantastical wasn’t as easy and a lot of people were confused because of what consists fantasy. (Same thing happened with thriller)

3 Likes

My favourite was H&V too. I loved the theme because I’m really into this supernatural stuff and there were indeed so many great entries.

I’m not sure about your question Elise … I feel like I agree with this:

But the H&V contest which was my favourite wasn’t very specific, right? Or was it? :thinking:

3 Likes

My favourite to enter was Mysterious however, I think that had more to do with the fact that it took me out of my comfort zone and it was fun to write in a new genre, write a completed story and also come up with a mystery. It was my first time really using gains, too.

My favourite in general is also probably H&V. I also loved seeing all the directing that came from that contest and there were some really unique entries (not just the winners).

3 Likes