Theme of next contest and the old themes

Some people have loads of ideas and struggle figuring out which idea to focus on. I’m not one of these people :joy:. I usually have a few ideas floating around, but none of them are usually good to the point where I have to write them (if that makes sense?). So for me, when a prompt is a little more specific it makes it easier for me to think of an idea. I usually do a brainstorm chart and go from there.
For example- mysterious. The prompt was “mysterious in the digital age”. My original idea was a murder mystery (not that exciting) and then after the Cupid’s Arrow winners were announced, I realised that my original idea probably wouldn’t cut it as it really wasn’t that unique. I then focused on the digital age aspect of the prompt and came up with Cyberstalk (which worked out well for me :joy:).

2 Likes

Same answers, same favorite contest. Are you my twin Annie?! :open_mouth:

1 Like

3 H&V already… we all really loved this contest :rofl:

2 Likes

I combine them all and somehow create a story :joy:

1 Like

Yeah I realized this after posting my comment, good thing that I didn’t mention my second fav was Fantastical :smiley:

2 Likes

Is the third one Dream Job? :dizzy_face:

1 Like

No, I wasn’t on Episode yet at that time, or if I was I didn’t know anything about contests.

2 Likes

I didn’t know anything about contests as well. I wasn’t fully aware of how to use the app so I was only able to read contest entries and featured stories. I thank every contest winner for keeping me on this app :rofl:

2 Likes

I think Thriller is my second favourite. Some of my favourite entries didn’t actually win, but I read something like 70 entries and enjoyed most of them. I like that the stories had to be complete and in general, thriller is one of my favourite genres.

Slightly off topic: I understand that people have lives/other commitments, but I find it disappointing that nearly every single contest where your entry didn’t need to be complete has at least one winning entry that either says it’s been discontinued or hasn’t been continued since the deadline.

6 Likes

Thriller is my 4th fav. But just for being thriller. Its not a very original contest so I wasn’t very fond of it but I liked the stories.

(Not off topic since we are having old theme’s discussion >:) )

I agree. But I don’t believe the “I’m busy with real life!!” anymore. Because if you check the winner’s IG after they won the contest and didn’t update for 2 months now, you can see that they are entering the new contest/working on a new story. This happened a lot. And this is why I say there should be a limit to entering contests or a rule enforcing continuation. You’re basically making Episode look like a fool because they can’t pick a winner that will continue their WINNER story. :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

It honestly makes me feel anxious enough having one ongoing story lol. I hate the thought of having multiple :joy:
I actually wanted to enter H&V but I was still working on finishing my spotlight story and I didn’t want to enter any more contests until that was complete.

This honestly bothers me too :see_no_evil:. I hate unfinished things. I put one ongoing story on hold while I worked on Thriller and I felt guilty enough about that lol.

5 Likes

I had 4 ongoing stories… :upside_down_face:
And I was working on more
error 404 logic not found…

Lowkey angry right now. It was just a spotlight story!!! Spotlight!!! Why didn’t you join >:(

I had 3 WIP and 4 ongoing story and I was still working on Thriller sfsdlkfjskld. I need help

2 Likes

And it’s my most popular story ever :joy:
I’ve never had so many people demanding updates before :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Yeah this is bad part of gaining exposure. You don’t realize how fun not being-known can be until you lose it. Loyal base of readers that will read anything, people becoming friends with you just for you…(not for exposure)

But you also get mad for not having readers when you’re not known enough :joy:

1 Like

Hahaha yeah, there are always pros and cons to every situation :woman_shrugging:
I didn’t mind and I was glad that people were involved in the story, but that’s why I didn’t want to put it on hold :joy:. I think you can also risk losing readers if you put something on hold for too long.

2 Likes

Yes I actually realized it today. A lot of people lost interest in my story because I was busy writing 10 more stories. The only way to get picked in Editor’s Picks is having an active reader base and publishing it at least twice a month. how naive i was…sigh

@FallenAngelNight13 this might be good for discussion maybe? Pros and cons to having a lot of readers/not having a lot of readers

3 Likes

Same. I’ve discovered so many gems through that contest shelf ONLY TO FIND OUT the writers haven’t updated in like a year. :frowning: I get commitments too, I just get sad as a reader.

2 Likes

@EliseC @kw.episode Do you think there should be a rule in the announcement thread enforcing continuation? Or would you prefer a short story contest all the time? (5 episode is max)

1 Like

How would such a rule be enforced? Something like “if you don’t update at least once every three months (until completion) then we have the right to remove your story from the contest shelf”? I feel like that may be a bit harsh, but I’m not sure how else you could enforce a rule like that?

1 Like

Not really a removal as that would be too harsh and many people would be mad.

Maybe a reminder instead of enforcement? An email like “You haven’t updated your winner story for the past 3 months. Are you still continuing it?” would help a little maybe? I want people to continue their winner story (since it won…and…it won…) but only completed story contests would make a lot of people lose interest and make the contest die :grimacing:

2 Likes