THEN command not working!

Hi all,

I wonder if I’m just being plain stupid or whether I need to file a ticket.

The following code has both characters walking to a spot facing rear at the same time. ‘Miller’ completes the sequence fine, but ‘Megan’ doesn’t stay facing rear despite the use of the THEN command.

Any help would be appreciated.

Script

INT. DORM ROOM PASTEL PINK - DAY
&cut to zone 1
&MEGAN spot 1.236 68 -195 in zone 2 AND MEGAN faces right AND MEGAN is idle_rear
&MILLER spot 1.236 128 -167 in zone 2 AND MILLER faces right AND MILLER is idle_rear
&MEGAN moves to layer 2
&MILLER moves to layer 1
&MEGAN walks to spot 0.991 166 120 in zone 1 in 3 AND MEGAN faces right AND MEGAN does it while walk_neutral_rear THEN MEGAN is idle_rear
@MILLER walks to spot 0.991 241 124 in zone 1 in 3 AND MILLER faces right AND MILLER does it while walk_neutral_rear THEN MILLER is idle_rear

Visuals

1 Like

Can’t guarantee it’ll work cuz im not much of a troubleshooter, but here’s what I’d try

• It could be that Megan’s sequence is being messed with because it uses & and so it would occur with all the prior commands at the same time, which could confuse the portal. Try making both of their walks use @ signs or adding a pause with the @ symbol before you have her & sign walking command.
  • next thing I’d try if that doesn’t work, is try merging their command together, so combine their entire walking commands with AND and use @ for it.
  • you can also try and take certain parts out of the command to see if u can pinpoint which part exactly ends up causing the problem

&MEGAN spot 1.236 68 -195 in zone 2 at layer 2 AND MEGAN walks to spot 0.991 166 120 in zone 1 in 3 AND MEGAN faces right AND MEGAN does it while walk_neutral_rear THEN MEGAN starts idle_rear
@MILLER spot 1.236 128 -167 in zone 2 at layer 1 AND MILLER walks to spot 0.991 241 124 in zone 1 in 3 AND MILLER faces right AND MILLER does it while walk_neutral_rear THEN MILLER is idle_rear

Also if this is the beginning of your scene you don’t need to cut to zone 1.

So I’ve tried merging them and they won’t walk together, and if I replace the & with the @ they don’t walk together at all.

I’ve never had a problem writing this code this way before.

I’ve tried using ‘starts’ and it also doesn’t work.

I’ve had to just pop an extra bit of dialogue with Megan first to fix it, I’m not sure why it wasn’t working.

Did you replace your code with mine, because it works perfectly.

Starts isn’t what makes the difference. I just forgot to change it back.
You’re using &, which are overriding each other.

Yes, entirely.

I in fact already coded it this way previously to test it out and it still wasn’t working so I think I might need to send a support ticket because there is absolutely no reason for it to not be working!

1 Like

&MEGAN walks to spot 0.991 166 120 in zone 1 in 3 AND MEGAN faces right AND MEGAN does it while walk_neutral_rear
&MILLER walks to spot 0.991 241 124 in zone 1 in 3 AND MILLER faces right AND MILLER does it while walk_neutral_rear
@pause for 3 THEN MEGAN is idle_rear AND MILLER is idle_rear

Maybe give this a try, it worked in my script. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you try just adding a pause there where you put the new dialogue? (like @pause for 0.2) It’s possible that the dialogue ended up fixing the issue because it kept everything from happening simultaneously and made the previewer less confused.

Also, are you previewing through web or your phone? Cuz sometimes that makes a difference as well

Previewing from web. I only ever double check my episodes at the end on the actual mobile portal usually.

I’ll give the pause a go :slight_smile:

1 Like

You need to cut up the & commands.

&Megan spot x y
&Megan walks to spot x y

These two things are happening simultaneously at the same time as your first @, therefore potentially causing a problem.

let me give it a go!

1 Like

#try that

That worked so much better, thanks!

1 Like

No problem!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.