There’s more than one kind of Asian!

This is a pet peeve of mine

People from East Asia are referred to as “Asians”… like Thai people… Japanese, Vietnamese, Chinese, Malay, Korean…

But if you’re from anywhere else in Asia… you’re not Asian.

Why are people trying to take their CONTINENTAL IDENTITY away from them?!

56 Likes

It would be like only referring to people from Spain, France, Italy and Portugal as European!!!

5 Likes

Do you mean like South Asian people? People automatically think they are Asian or deny they are from Asia for it?

4 Likes

Yeah! People have actually asked me “so your dad’s black… and your mum? Is she Indian or Asian?”

Um… both? :thinking:

I seriously wonder where they think India is

11 Likes

Same. :roll_eyes: Whew, Chile. The ignorance :sneezing_face: :sweat:

6 Likes

I think because some have lack of knowledge on which a country belongs to and just assume.

8 Likes

Well, they technically are European if they’re from those places :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

people need to become much more geographically aware, i constantly get asked if I’m half asian and my mum is from PAPUA NEW GUINEA for crying out loud i mean honestly :tired_face:

9 Likes

true

proudly southeast asian

which hardly gets any recognition…

10 Likes

It’s people being ignorant :rofl:

3 Likes

People usually think Asians are Chinese. Not true though. In both of my story I actually touch on the different Asians :grin:

9 Likes

Yeah whenever I tell someone I’m Indonesian they say “Woah, you don’t look asian at all!” Like… how do Asians look like…umm???

10 Likes

I know. I said “only”. Its like ONLY calling people European if they’re from those places and missing out most of Russia, Germany, the Czech Republic, Norway, Switzerland, and everywhere else.

5 Likes

I wish it was just geographical ignorance! I had this conversation once:

Them: So you’re not half Asian?

Me: I am.

Them: Your mum is from India

Me: Which is from Asia

Them: Yeah but “Asian” isn’t just about someone from Asia.

Me: Yes, Yes it is.

14 Likes

That’s so dumb. What that person told you doesn’t make even sense. :joy::joy:. More like programmed in their mind that when you say Asian it means slanted eyes. I’m pure Asian though and I’m not good in identifying European countries. So it’s a same same to me. Just educate them if you ever face that question although it’s annoying.

11 Likes

Yeah I know! I am not called Asian even though I live in Asia lol. It’s so true.

6 Likes

they’re crazy

7 Likes

Omg yes!

4 Likes

Give me strength :sob:

5 Likes

You’d think some people would break out into hives if they ever saw a globe. Sheesh.

The things that come out people’s mouths baffle me. Lmao Asia is a MASSIVE continent with LOTS of countries and A LOT of DIVERSITY :exclamation:

I’ve seen people look at me like I have told them the theory of relativity when I tell them my ethnicity :sob:

8 Likes