There’s more than one kind of Asian!

Karate is an ancient Japanese martial art almost as huge and influential as kung-fu, with about half as many different styles. It’s probably the single most popular martial arts style here in the west.

The second one you’ll have heard of would be tae-kwon-do which is Korean, and has a few diffferent iterations but the main thing is that it was derived from karate as a pure form of self defense for the Korean military.

Kung-fu and it’s off-shoots are Chinese, of course.

Tai-chi is from China, but popularised in Taiwan

Muay Thai, and it’s sister style Muay Boran is from Thailand.

There’s also the semi-popular Japanese styles like Jiu-Jutsu, Kenpo, Aikido, and many more.

4 Likes

That’s scary. Also the fact that North Korea has a larger militia in the world! And I’m Korean!

Seems like most of the popular ones came from Japan! That’s really interesting.

3 Likes

That’s awesome!

3 Likes

Also I forgot a huge one! Israel has the immensely popular these days; Krav Maga!

4 Likes

What! But what does that mean!

@ChaoticDeluge is also a big Asian myths and legends person. He’s written about many for his ongoing series on Wattpad.

Have you written about anything from Thailand?

3 Likes

Not many apart from Naga and Singh, the really popular ones that lots of westerners would know on sight

1 Like

Naga – the one J.K. Rowling used that came from India :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah naga are just all over Asian mythology xD

2 Likes

Oh, and of course Garuda. Garuda is one of my favourite mythological creatures :3

2 Likes

Nope, I’m in the USA, because I’m adopted. I also have grammar problems. There is a myth about a woman in Chian that is said to be the Goddess of Healing, comfort, or… Yeah healing.:thinking:

Nagin means snake in most Indian languages… except mine where Sarap or Harap is “snake” and Nagi means “naked”. God knows

2 Likes

What’s a Garuda?

2 Likes

Yeah Thailand was massively influenced by India over the centuries, a lot of it’s mythology is basically Hindu mythology if you don’t look back REEAAAALLY far

4 Likes

:scream:NAKED! As in, 100% naked? Brrr!

A bird god that Vishnu supposedly rides that’s a natural enemy to all naga :smiley:

2 Likes

I hate it whenever my parents see someone who’s Asian walking by, they automatically assume they’re Chinese.

They by like:

Mom: There’s a Chinese girl walking by.

And I’m like “Uh, what if they’re not Chinese, what if they’re Japanese?”

Dad: No, Chinese and Japanese are the same thing.

6 Likes

Also has the feet and wings of a bird, but the body and face of a human. Pretty fun

3 Likes

Chinese and japanese people aren’t the same.

3 Likes