There’s more than one kind of Asian!

:clap:t4:

1 Like

It’s a part of their identity. Of course they care. Someone is telling you that you’re not part of that group when you are and it’s not fair. There are some ignorant people out there so it helps having a thread where we can talk about it. Imagine if you’re part of something and someone told you you’re not. You can’t be. You would of course be frustrated. No one wants to be told they don’t belong when in fact they do. Plus, sometimes people end up learning new things. Maybe someone didn’t know Indians are Asians and then they happened to come across this thread and learned something new!

8 Likes

I compare this to excluding depression from other mental illnesses since it’s more common. I just will never understand this community’s desire to control others…

2 Likes

If I’m being 100% real, I definitely didn’t think of India as Asian, either, before this thread, LOL. It just kinda reminded me. Since I don’t think about this sort of thing a lot, shrugs it never was all that relevant, but the more you know, ya know? ^^

As I mentioned before, I’d always say like, “Ah, look, an Indian.” If I saw an Indian instead of “Asian”, but if I saw someone Chinese, I’d think of them as Asian. Just kinda how we categorize things, also keeping in mind a lot of people can’t tell the difference between different types of Asians, so Asian is a broader term that is still correct if you can’t tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese people. (Some Asians can’t even tell the difference between each other X’DDDD) Just depends. XP

6 Likes

Narcissism isn’t a good thing. Humans are wired to care about others.

5 Likes

I never said that it was a problem I just don’t understand the topic like what is the difference? I don’t look at a person and say ‘o that one is Asian’. no I look at a person and just see a human because of this I don’t understand the topic

1 Like

This topic isn’t talking about that… This topic is literally saying “Stop telling Asians they are not Asian because they don’t fit the Asians -commonly East Asians- you know.”

8 Likes

Well then you’re not the person this post is aimed at. Have you ever told an Indian that they’re not Asian? If not, does every post need to apply to you?

8 Likes

O that’s what it’s about I think that I kinda Get the topic now

1 Like

And why would I do that …if I am from India only 🤷…
I know some people are racist but stop believing everything … Simple

5 Likes

And now I want to say something … About Indiana Jones…

I don't fight .. i am classy .. relax kidding guys 😂

Yes, people in India do eat Monkey brains as depicted in the mentioned movie. So also:

1. Every other year comet / aliens approaches Earth, and US successfully defends our planet
  2. Game of Thrones is not fiction, Westoros actually exists
  3. Superman, Batman, Spiderman, et all are legendary heroes and we must learn to develop abilities like them
  4. The curious case of James Bond is puzzling scientists in that how can one man be such a perfect fighter, secret agent, womanizer, can drive any vehicle, can operate any gadget, etc
  5. Megatron is leading a quiet life now, being driven as a premium taxi

Just a few of the bitter truths!

And Of course yes, so I came to US and found dinosaurs and anacondas roaming here as shown in some movies.

100% truth, no kidding.

Indiana Jones: The Temple of Doom was Banned in India. due to its portrayal of India.

Indian Government did not even allowed it to shoot in India.

the Indian government demanded final cut of the film in order to censor what they deemed unworthy, which forced Watts and Scott (producer and Production designer) to pack up and leave and the shooting was done in Shri-Lanka.

It would be really nice if people just stopped judging India and its culture by a bunch of movies like Indiana jones

My Dear Friend, as an Indian , I am assuring you we never ever eat this kind of food, for you information in my relegion Hindu we love animal and the nature the most, we do worship of animals, monkey is one of our greatest god symbol known in whole world bajarangbali, hanuman ji, snake is our naag devta god, so how can we eat our god?

4 Likes

:sweat_smile: OMg yes. Couldn’t have said it better.

1 Like

Because it’s rude. Duh.

I am an Indian and thus, an Asian. You tell me that I am not an asian and I am bound to get offended. It’s like telling someone who lives in Africa that they are not African. Kind of?

It may not seem such a big deal to you but it is to those who it is directed towards lol.

3 Likes

I can imagine someone being called Malay and her friends going, ‘Hey, Malay-lay!’

Anyway :joy: I agree. I’m Japanese, so I’ve never experienced this, but I’ve seen so many people asking black people, ‘Wait, so are you Indian or Asian?’

Can I just ask why it was bothering you? Your friend did say you’re half white half Asian, so how is that not a fact? You keep hammering on the fact that you are half white half Filipino but you know The Philippines IS in Asia right? Which clearly makes you half white half Asian. So I guess you want others to recognize not the Asian continent itself but rather the country specifically - and you’re saying that while generalizing the entire ‘white’ race? That just seems odd to me.

2 Likes

He KNEW I was Filipino/Asian, but he kept on telling me I was white (just white & also is a fact)… I left it out, but we went back and forth a couple more times. He didn’t say I was half Asian until I said where my mom was from. This may be a stupid reason but :woman_shrugging:

I know The Philippines is in Asia and no just no.

Everyone on these forums has a right to speak their own opinions as long as they don’t violate the forum rules. Thanks.

1 Like

In that case he probably wasn’t able to tell your ethnicity from just your appearance. When you told him your mom is from The Philippines he switched to saying ‘half white half Asian’ right? I don’t really care what happened though and I understand your frustration when people just assume your race but it can be hard for others to tell especially if you’re mixed. I just wanted to touch on the last part of your conversation with him where he corrected himself to say you’re ‘half white half Asian’ and yet you still felt like claiming to be ‘half Filipino’ after that when it comes down to basically the same thing. All this while grouping together the entire ‘white’ race which consists of so many different cultures, countries, continents even… so yeah. Western or ‘white’ people might not always know every corner of Asia and simply aren’t that knowledgeable when it comes to that part of the world the same way a lot of Asian people can’t distinguish Germans from Dutch people to give an example. For you, as a mixed person who has gotten the privelege to inherit bits of multiple cultures can’t be mad at someone who simply hasn’t been given the same cultural education from birth. Now if someone’s just being rude, racist or closed-minded in a sense that’s obviously unacceptable. But again, I don’t see that being the case in your situation.

1 Like

Like I said in my previous comment, he did know. It wasn’t about my appearance or “assuming” my race.

Why is it so hard for him to say I’m Filipino? Why does it make you want to argue with me just because I want him to say I’m Filipino instead of Asian? He knows I am, but doesn’t say it.

I honestly don’t know why you’re saying this. I know it can be hard to distinguish certain ethnicities. However, this isn’t about him not being able to tell my ethnicity by looking at me. Also, the grouping together ‘white’, I’m not trying to sound close-minded or rude. We’re in America, I know by “white” he meant “American.”

Not mad, I’m annoyed.

2 Likes

Well, let say some people like to insult others. Which is VERY VERY DISRESPECTFUL! I would hit them with a frying pan if I could, like, ”Show them some respect, would you! They’re nice people!” Some people are evil. And I know better than that. I don’t believe you people would eat monkeys. OR harm any animals.