There's nothing wrong with criticism!

Exactly, beautifully said!

But I am not talking about themes that people disagree with or themes that feel forced.

No story has a singular theme. Even bad stories have many.

I really don’t understand what your point is. Please explain!

Also, I feel like I need to point out that the dictionary definition of “criticism” used doesn’t take into account the meaning of literary criticism, which is the type of criticism used when discussing a story.

If it’s about whether the theme is problematic or misleading or not then of course it is up to criticism.

But if for example, I personally am not really into cheesy romantic stories, so when I give my feedback to the author, I suppose I can say “the theme is not for my personal taste, but others might enjoy”. I find that to be more of an ordinary opinion than a criticism.

But does that mean we shouldn’t say anything? I don’t think so. We’re all entitled to our opinions and we’re all free to share them online. As long as it doesn’t get moany or entitled.

I’d rather people criticise my stories than lie and say they like them when they don’t.
However listing complaints without any positive feedback whatsoever is different

I never said we shouldn’t say anything. It’s well within your rights to say whatever you want. My point was, for me, it’s perfectly fine to say the theme isn’t your personal taste, but still should acknowledge that the theme might appeal to others also (again, that is if the theme isn’t problematic or misleading).

But in the end, it still feels more to me like an subjective opinion than a constructive critisism, which is something you say to help the author improve on their writing skills. They can’t really do anything about it when it’s your personal taste, can they?

And if you share them online for the purpose of reviewing that story to others, I don’t think the fact that the theme isn’t your thing should be what makes you skip out the possible good directing and writing and other technical skills.

But if it’s just someone asking you how that story was for you then you can say whatever you want.

I agree, I feel like there are ways to provide productive criticism which will help the writer. Just slating someone doesn’t really help anybody. Criticism should be about how to better your work :slight_smile:

Thanks, @casella.epi, for explaining it better!! That was what I was trying to say.

Definitely! Saying something is bad without saying why is just hate. When you’re telling someone what you think, there’s no point if the sole purpose is to make them feel bad about their work!

Again, you put it beautifully!

Bump! :slight_smile:

Hello, bump and I need help, and I figured this is a good place to ask.

I got a criticism from someone through instagram, and originally I replied super defensive - and they got really mad. I haven’t read the msgs, but my phone was lighting up for like the next 10 minutes . . .

How can I properly reply to criticism? I usually just reply nothing on fanmail because usually they aren’t going to read it again, but this time it’s more like I can’t avoid it.

Hey there! I’ve been called in to give a little hand here. As an artist I get some pretty harsh criticism quite often. Of course, I go looking for it, but some people tell me to just overhaul my style completely because it ‘doesn’t work’. Which is silly imo. You need to first recognise what is criticism, and what’s unreasonable.

Criticism is someone pointing out that there’s something in your work which doesn’t really work or they feel could do with improvement. Constructive criticism is a nice term, but really it’s also a pointless one. Criticism should really always be to the betterment of the medium or story. People who show up to say that something is bad just because it’s bad and then get upset when the artist defends their position… Aren’t critics. Critics shouldn’t be getting mad at defenses, they should be refuting them. Of course, getting ‘defensive’ is a different story. The people who are being unreasonable don’t get a response, and those who want to help improve your work deserve your input or in some cases, a defense of what they’re critiquing.

I say be open to criticism. Your work is not perfect, and it never will be. Make sure that you take on board what a critic has to say and remember that it is always up to you to change your story if you feel a criticism makes a good point or if someone has a perspective you didn’t think of. Don’t cave to demands, respond kindly to requests and take part in discussion - ask questions, make sure a critic clarifies what they want to see. That’s what’ll help you grow

Thank you !

Bumping this

Apparently it’s difficult for the Episode community to know the difference between constructive criticism and being demanding about the plot of a story.

Not all cliches are bad