There's nothing wrong with criticism!

Exactly, beautifully said!

But I am not talking about themes that people disagree with or themes that feel forced.

No story has a singular theme. Even bad stories have many.

I really don’t understand what your point is. Please explain!

Also, I feel like I need to point out that the dictionary definition of “criticism” used doesn’t take into account the meaning of literary criticism, which is the type of criticism used when discussing a story.

If it’s about whether the theme is problematic or misleading or not then of course it is up to criticism.

But if for example, I personally am not really into cheesy romantic stories, so when I give my feedback to the author, I suppose I can say “the theme is not for my personal taste, but others might enjoy”. I find that to be more of an ordinary opinion than a criticism.

But does that mean we shouldn’t say anything? I don’t think so. We’re all entitled to our opinions and we’re all free to share them online. As long as it doesn’t get moany or entitled.

I’d rather people criticise my stories than lie and say they like them when they don’t.
However listing complaints without any positive feedback whatsoever is different

I never said we shouldn’t say anything. It’s well within your rights to say whatever you want. My point was, for me, it’s perfectly fine to say the theme isn’t your personal taste, but still should acknowledge that the theme might appeal to others also (again, that is if the theme isn’t problematic or misleading).

But in the end, it still feels more to me like an subjective opinion than a constructive critisism, which is something you say to help the author improve on their writing skills. They can’t really do anything about it when it’s your personal taste, can they?

And if you share them online for the purpose of reviewing that story to others, I don’t think the fact that the theme isn’t your thing should be what makes you skip out the possible good directing and writing and other technical skills.

But if it’s just someone asking you how that story was for you then you can say whatever you want.

I agree, I feel like there are ways to provide productive criticism which will help the writer. Just slating someone doesn’t really help anybody. Criticism should be about how to better your work :slight_smile:

Thanks, @casella.epi, for explaining it better!! That was what I was trying to say.

Definitely! Saying something is bad without saying why is just hate. When you’re telling someone what you think, there’s no point if the sole purpose is to make them feel bad about their work!

Again, you put it beautifully!