Thick as Thieves Fan Club

It’s not even out and I’m hyped already

5 Likes

This is me

5 Likes

:see_no_evil:

5 Likes

To be honest, I had a different experience than some of you because I was immediately drawn to Vera. I love angry women and clever women, so I knew I would love Vera. But I didn’t realise how much of an impact her story would have on me.

We know this in the thread and it hasn’t come up in the series yet, but Vera offering Basil and job and keeping him employed as an attempt to soften the blow of Nylora devastating his family and legacy shows her unyeilding commitment to justice. She makes a comment about how she’s seen him kill against orders. He doesn’t really listen to her and his anger is all consuming and while she’s threatened to fire him (out of a cannon lol) at least once and probably hundreds of other times, she never once let go of him. She’s loyal to her people, despite the fact that she has no idea how to care deeply about them, and despite the fact that they are not loyal to her. I really think that cannot be overlooked.

I love that she is aware of how people see her and she doesn’t care that people find her unlikeable - she cares about whether people will come to trust her judgment because she wants to be seen for who she truly is, even when she’s spent six years never fully able to be or recognize herself. And despite all that, she has stuck by her abusive mother’s side doing what was in her power to do and waiting until she could rectify all the damage Nylora has caused. Her rejection of femininity is particularly interesting because it’s not absolute or based on how people look or how people look at her. She has seen her mother use her feminity and her beauty for her own gain and Vera has no desire to be associated with that kind of weaponized, manipulative feminity. But the best part is that that rejection is subconscious and not her actively rejecting any part of her that is feminine.

Her self-awareness is so impressive and so grounding. Even though I’m very different than Vera, I really relate to that aspect because I know who I am and I know how people see me. And it’s so refreshing for a character to have that level of unapologetic self-awareness without needing to be “Well, I just am what I am and I’m an asshole so deal with it.” She wants to be better. She wants to emulate her father because she recognizes that empathy and deep caring are important and she has no idea why she cannot feel or access those things. So much of her life has been traumatic and I expect she will have a lot more to process now that she’s got her heart back and we’ll probably see a lot of stuff come up for her that she has never been able to access or accept before. And I just…FEEL for her omg. Emotional overload is such a struggle on its own. And she’s riding high now on all these newly accessible feelings and adrenaline but once that’s over…{Mirror_Oof.png}

I think because she’s cold and demanding and unrelenting in much of her anger it can be easy to overlook just how traumatic her life has been. Her father was murdered and for 6 years she had no idea why or how her only friend could do that. Her mother was emotionaly abusive even before we got to see the real her, she was so isolated and alone, she had no ability to heal from all her emotional wounds. She has suffered so much and been so alone her suffering that she’s been completely unable to see that no one deserves to suffer on their own. Carrying such a heavy budren in isolation really messes you up. And for the most part she didn’t even know how much she was suffering! It was so repressed and the byproduct of all that fear and grief and hurt was anger that she never had enough places to direct.

I won’t say everything she’s ever said or done is 100% on the nose. But the fact that she just kept going and going and convincing herself not to give up because she wanted to be worthy of the loyalty her father had to her and the loyalty she wanted to earn from the people speaks so much to how important justice is to her. And while she’s not “nice” really, she is kind because kindness is about duty and service to others in the building of a just world. So much of the time she doesn’t know what to do and she has so little information about her own life and she just chooses over and over again to keep going. Even when she’s stubborn and refuses to admit what she can see right in front of her, she keeps trying to convince herself she’ll find the right answer so she can do her duty.

And her whole sense of knowing that intentions are not inherently more important than impact? :chef: This is easily one of my favorite things about her. She wants to care and she doesn’t know how but she knows that the net impact of her actions will be positive and for once in her life she is begging for that to be enough. She doesn’t like accepting help and she doesn’t like admitting she may be wrong and she doesn’t like to feel helpless but in that moment she is…begging…she just wants to be enough for once in her life. You know how much it cost her to admit that? Ugh I’m crying. Loyal loyal loyal to her kingdom and her people even when they couldn’t care less about her. Unbelievable. I’m crying.

And finally she thinks there’s no answer but to do what she said she would never do - “give in.” Her life for her people’s and for her friends’. Byeeeeeeee. But the heartbreaking part is she truly believes all her loyalty is worth not being alive. Not just because it would save her people. But because she has spent so long having very little to live for that now that she does have something to live for - something monumental - she thinks the only way people can see her for who she could have been, the only way for people to be free and happy is for her to die. Like the parallels to suffering from trauma and mental health issues are just…astronomical. Her desire to do the right thing has so many parallels to the real world as well. Like, never knowing what’s right, knowing it could all go wrong, not feeling like she has the energy or capacity to do what’s right…and doing it anyway because it’s the right thing. It’s so hard to learn that lesson and she tries over and over again to get it right. And after all that, and after not recognizing that there are people who see her for who she is underneath all the anger and the emotions she can’t access, she feels like the best thing for them would be her death. Ya’ll she’s so emotionally drained and fucked up and I can’t tell how much I related to that and how much I felt alongside her.

And even when she was annoyed at the Mirror, and even when she was so devastated by the myriad of possibilities in the Crossroads, and even when she thought her life and her death were worthless, she still paid attention and she still latched on to a hope he hasn’t felt in so long. That is like a true testament of will and strength. And she has accepted her duty to suffer - or her fate, rather. And the emotional overload getting her heart back? weeeeeooooooo. Ya know I picked to kiss Jasper babey because she was so overwhelmed and there was the person who’s always known her and always seen her (omg im literally crying right now yike) and for the first time she gets to not be in control of every single emotion she had forgotten and been unable to feel. And her concern for possibly violating his boundaries harkens back to her sense of self-awareness. Which we know now is a core component of her being, no matter what she can or cannot feel. Y’all. Y’ALL. But it doesn’t take her long to face her duty - to her people and to her friends. The relief at being able to call people her friends!!! Knowing that she can respect and value them properly and she can see all the ways they’ve been rooting for her - because they believe in her not just because they hate Nylora! The sheer happiness at that realization! And at knowing she can feel for her people, no matter what they think about her, as she rushes to save them.

I know she still has so much to sort out. So much trauma to process. So much love to process. But her sense of justice is absolute. And I can’t say that will always lend itself to making the best decisions. It certainly won’t lend itself to not making reckless decisions. But she is truly special. And she’s already handled so much that she knows she cannot stop trying now, no matter the cost. And she trusts her friends enough to also do what is right. What a relief! Being able to trust people again! We love to think that healing is just being loved, but it’s not! It’s the ability to love, and truly love, and feel freedom in the mutual connections - service to others is also about love. and love is radical practice that encompasses so many feelings. it’s not just a singular feelings. So I know she has a long way to go still and I know she will get there because she has made the choice to keep pursuing justice and to let herself feel again now that she finally can. immmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cryin. I’m cryin. Literally one of the best protagonists of all times across any medium. I am excited about Rosie and I will love her, but Vera is my number one. Forever. EVER. FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRR.

Anyway, that was my thesis and I now have a Master’s Degree. thank u.

8 Likes

haha oh no :skull:

5 Likes

All of this. :pleading_face: :raised_hands:t2:

6 Likes

Skdsk Maccy, what does this mean

5 Likes

Excellent analysis, as always. It lowkey made me tear up :pleading_face: :skull:

6 Likes

Woah. Just woah

how much do you charge to write college application essays

7 Likes

I want to write a Spirit :tm: story but I…don’t know if I can :,( I just want 2 make u proud, Spirit

6 Likes

I’d say you passed with flying colors :grin:

5 Likes

I know this is drunk Maccy talking, but you will and do make me proud. And anything you write will be great and it doesn’t have to be a Spirit :tm: story with the kinds of tropes I write or have the typical story structure I tend to gravitate towards to be a good story. If you just write and put your heart into it, I will see it and know it is a Maccy :tm: story and that’s special.

7 Likes

Me: looks over at my drafts
My drafts: hahaha death

In all seriousness everyone is going to write amazing things because everyone have unique styles and unique perception of the world
And if you worried for other opinions don’t be I’ll be hyping your story up no matter what :heartpulse::revolving_hearts:

7 Likes

@Spiegel.TheMirror who made your cover it’s so good :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

This thread is so wholesome :revolving_hearts: :pleading_face:

7 Likes

But all art is self-portrait, you see. They might revolve around death as murder mysteries, but the heart of that I think is writing intrigue and getting to put together puzzles for people to figure out. And because you enjoy making mind-twisters, the passion and love for it will show in your work.

6 Likes

How do I run into your arms and give you hug
That made me feel all warm and fuzzy

6 Likes

Spreading love is the Pisces way! :cherry:

6 Likes

I don’t know how to properly express my love but just know that it is there :pleading_face::revolving_hearts::two_hearts:

6 Likes

Don’t worry, I can always sense the love. :nail_care:t2:

6 Likes