Things in stories that make you NOT want to finish

true and then you feel bad but five minutes later ur reading another story :relieved: :joy:

2 Likes

What annoys me a lot is when authors take FOREVER to update the story. After a while I’ll just find another story and forget what happened in the previous one.

5 Likes

Exactly :joy:

1 Like

Yes me 2 I hate it but I understand it’s difficult to write and code :sob::sob: I’m waiting for a story to complete but it’s not completed yet

1 Like

I know right!
I mean that one Author had that really good story, and she just stoped Updating, I understand it’s hard to code and all that, but she didn’t update about 4-6 months.

3 Likes

By the way, I always stop reading a story, if the MC has a black gay Bestfriend and he has no personality besides being gay.
I mean that’s just a big NO for me!

5 Likes

Agree! It pisses me off so much, it’s literally stereotyping and they get away with it.

5 Likes

True! But as an author myself, I understand updates take time and effort but 4-6 months are for sure enough for at least one chapter to be published.

3 Likes

I’m an author too, so I know it’s hard. But, personally as a reader I prefer a story taking like… Half a year to be released full thta wait a month for one chapter.

5 Likes

It is frustating but I won’t say I never read it again. I just read something else and when they update and I do see it I read it.

2 Likes

Same here. But only if the story is like, super addictive and interesting.

2 Likes

I read a story ( I mean to be fair sometimes I look for bad stories cuz I get a weird sense of inspo from them) and this was exactly that. It truly disgusted me how much the author probably knew about gay people lol. I think I even took screenshots. (If you want to see them you can PM me, not sharing them publicly cuz yeah)

3 Likes

For updating, unless it’s a story I really like I tend to drop it if they don’t update after a while cuz I just lose interest. I understand why it’s frustrating but at the same time I’m not reading Episode stories all the time, I’m either writing my own, on here or doing something else in my life.

But I’ve started stories only to abandon them when I was sure I was going to publish and complete them. So now I’m only gonna publish once I’ve written like every episode. If like let’s say I have all episodes written except the last three or something as long as I have a solid plan for them then I’ll publish.

2 Likes

Hey,

I am a picky reader. And as an author I try to avoid that what I wouldn’t want to see in a story.
Major issues for me to stop reading a story are:

• Too many black screens for narration (get me on my nerves…);
  • Authors character taking half of the time of the storyline (I get it… You may have your own character → I have that too… But not in every episode half of the story time.;
  • Too many LI’s → I prefer 1;
  • One whole episode for only CC;
  • Mean girls and creepy ally guys popping out of nowhere → little too cliche;
  • Bad grammar and spelling → I am not a native English speaker, but I check my spelling during coding;
  • Wrong layering → like people walking through each other or kissing the wrong way;
  • Toxic relationships, violence against the LGBTQ+ community and/or racism;
  • Entering and exiting left or right → go from spot to spot… It’s irritating and weird if you see in a story a kid entering and exiting, while they grow if the leave or shrink into the spot.

Love A-W

9 Likes

There’s are lots of basic common sense no-nos of a story (grammar, cliches, rushed romance, etc). But I do have some personal particular things that just make me discouraged to continue reading a story.

• Character Customization - I know that people absolutely love CC but I just can’t. Like I can’t pick what the actors look like in a movie; I don’t want to pick what the characters look like in what I read. If the author wants me to love the character I’m playing, make me fall in love with their great personalities.

• When there’s a slight mistake in editing/coding. (Example: They try and make the person walk across the room, but they forget to add the animation so they just look like they’re gliding across the floor). I just click out. I feel so bad cause I feel obligated to give people’s stories a chance. I blame the perfectionist side of me. I get so engaged in stories that these coding mistakes just ruin it for me. Sorry, not sorry.

• When clothing doesn’t match or outfits just don’t look like they go together. I don’t know why this bothers me so much, but I literally can’t stand it when the characters don’t wear dress shoes with dress clothes or a character has a purple shirt with pink pants. It’s just hard to look at, and I don’t know why.

• When the characters don’t have any common sense or boundaries. Like, if the main character has a crush on the love interest but the love interest is in a relationship, don’t be trying to pounce on them. And it doesn’t even have to be the main character. But like if the “ex” comes back and sees that the main character and love interest are in a relationship and tries to get with one of them. It’s like… yeah Nah I ain’t watching this. It’s like that character has no other purpose but to just create some drama.

• When the love interest and the main character look like siblings… enough said for this one.

• When the love interest is a “vampire” or some entity that’s just old and the love interest sees the main character as a child and falls in love with him/her when they get older. Sorry, not watching that.

• Unrealistic eye colors. I don’t know why I notice that so much. But it’s so RARE that a black character is gonna have ice blue eyes. Unless that’s literally part of the storyline, like a whole society of them has blue eyes.

• When a story does a flashback of characters when they were kids, and they look the same as kids. Like they don’t look like little kids; they just look like shorter versions of the present them. Where’s the effort?

• Art scenes that aren’t anywhere near the same as the style used in the story. Like if you’re writing a story in INK or LL, and the art scenes don’t match the style. I just can’t. Like I want to be a good person and appreciate people’s art, but I can’t when I’m engaged in a story.

I probably have more, but those are the ones off the top of my head. I’ll probably come back and add more. Also, I’m not trying to hate on any particular stories, nor do I recommend creating a story based on my specific preferences.
I’m sure all stories are wonderful and unique in their own way. Does that mean I’m gonna read it? Sorry, no.
But if any creators want me to do a hard critique on their story let me know. I’d be glad to review and proofread your story for free. But if you’re going to let me criticize your story, don’t be getting mad at me cause I was being too harsh. It’s all opinion-based, and at least I won’t sugarcoat it for you.

12 Likes

I don’t like having 1 LI because then the love is most likely forced, however with 2+ LIs I hate how sometimes the story invalidates your choices by say … having a choice between the LIs but nothing still being set and having the MC cheat on LI1 with the other LI for the sake of story (had this happen to me in a story and I was NOT a fan of it)

4 Likes

I am trying not to force reletionship so MC kinda cheat in my story, but I have 5 love interest I regret that so much its hard, really hard,

3 Likes

I don’t like to choose. Especially if both LI’s are like I want them to be. Because you need to dump one at the end. :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Yeahhhh…we cannot just only fall for a person who’s just 'hot, attractive, handsome, popular" …young readers need to see love is a beautiful thing- you fall in love with HOW the person treats everyone, his behaviour, personality…not just fall for him because of his looks :roll_eyes:

All I see in stories is the sexual tension the first time MC sees Li and …baaam! :woman_facepalming::sweat:

7 Likes

Attraction do be like that tho, allegedly.
:woman_shrugging:
I can think people are hot, but that doesn’t mean my mind is in the gutter most of the time.

Of course, if it’s satirizing that trope, I’m on board.

3 Likes