Okay so this one might not be as common as most, I see a few authors write about Canadian characters but not much.
I just wanted to mainly give you a little education on Canadians!
First off, us and Americans are actually very different!
Here are some of the categories that I will cover!
Laws/Country Features/Famous People difference
So there are actually a few of these, first off let’s start with drinking age!
We are legally allowed to start drinking at the age of 19-18 instead of 21 (pretty luck, eh?)
Next is that we actually have our medical bills all covered, we don’t need to pay for them!
(Another lucky feature!)
Also I would like to mention that we do have famous actors and singers in our country (Justin Beiber, Shawn Mendes)
We don’t drink maple syrup people, yes we love it and it is delicious but we do not drink it!
In fact, some of us actually hate it!
Next, WE DONT ALL PLAY HOCKEY!!
Seriously, my entire community plays basketball and baseball for some unknown reason (I’m a 100% full blood hockey fan)
Things we have and you don't!!! Haha
We have something called “ketchup chips” yup those are the best! Period!
We also have something called maple cookies, it’s like an Oreo but it is filled with maple syrup frost instead.
Hickory sticks!!! Omg these are the best! They are like smoked flavoured French frie chips!!
We also have something called beaver tails and no they aren’t the beaver tails on the animal! They are like a waffle type bread filled with goodness, you have to search it up!
All dressed chips! These are like ranch, salt and vinegar and bbq mixed all on one chip which sounds disgusting but is actually amazing!
We also have something called “coffee crisp” it’s like a latte coffee flavored chocolate bar and they are amazing!!
We have smarties which are actually called rockets for you guys (I think!)
There are so many more but you have to search it up! Lol
What we look like?
We are a mix of so many cultures that we actually don’t have one specific look!
But let’s just say, we like plaid… And we say “eh” a lot. I can’t deny that.
Fun Facts about Canada
Credit to @epi.sophia for these fun facts!
- We wear toques, not beanies.
- In Quebec, there is a french holiday called “Carnaval du Quebec” (carnival of Quebec) every year With loads of fun activities and a snowman called ‘Bonhomme’.
- We spell the word “color” with a “u”, “colour”, Grammarly is annoying for this!
Things to know if you don't want to offend a Canadian or sound "Stupid"
Credit to @epi.sophia for this one too!
- We have one NBA team, the Toronto Raptors.
- No, we don’t know your second cousin that lives in Saskatchewan.
- We don’t live all in igloos. Shocker right!
- The national sport of Canada is lacrosse, not hockey. (Some would argue that the National Sport should be hockey)
- Though Him Horton’s is good, we aren’t all obsessed with it and need Tim’s to survive.
- It’s not always winter here. Summers in Canada are quite beautiful.
- Idk why I needed to say this but It needed to be said. We don’t live under a rock, we know many american singers, Actors etc…
- No, not all of us are obsessed with beer and need it to survive. (I’m not hating on anyone who loves beer lol)
- We don’t say ‘sorry’ all the time.
- We don’t live in the middle of nowhere. We have beautiful cities!
- Not everyone speaks french.
- We are not obsessed with Maple syrup. It’s delicious but we’re not obsessed with it. (Some people love Maple Syrup, i’m not hating)
- We’re not all obsessed with hockey.
- We don’t all love bacon.
- It’s not always cold and snowing. (This may depend where you live but for the most part, it’s not always cold and snowing)
Credit to @GRH for this one!
Our national holiday is 3 days earlier, (July 1st, “Canada Day”) our Thanksgiving, a month earlier. (October). November 11th is Remembrance Day. There’s usually one long weekend in each month of the summer, because.
Canadian Celebs (You will be surprised)
Credit to @epi.sophia for the Celebs list!
Tegan and Sara (Band)
Justin Trudeau lol (He’s not a Celebrity, he’s our current Prime Minister lol)
Don’t forget that there are definitely a lot more!
I hope you learned a little something from this topic and maybe you will one day come to Canada to try some our odd, yet amazing features!
Feel free to follow me!
@brii_writes_epi on Instagram and feel free to message me for more questions you may have!