Things you should know when writing with Asian Characters

Wheres my Filipino team at? @nayu.ep @isabelle.episode

2 Likes

Thank you for tagging me @rina.writes :heart:

She does look alright to me :> if adding limited CC, try to only put brown eye colors since other colors of eyes are really rare (if you want to lock the eye color, just lock the eye color to brown black)

I’m not sure if u want to limit skin color since Filipinos have varying skin tones from one another (and there are some here who use skin whitening products to make their skin rosy white), if it helps, her skin color is also okay :>

What are the names you have for her? Usually Filipinos here have very western (American?) first names + Spanish last names. Im not good at thinking of names unfortunately :((

2 Likes

Okay wait I’m not sure if this has already been mentioned, but NOT ALL ASIANS ARE SHORT. I mean I look at some stories on Episode and the adult Asian characters look like children. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I’m 13 and 5 ft 4.5 inches. Full Chinese. My dad is taller than six feet and he is completely Chinese too (obviously :grin:), so it varies just like with any other race.

7 Likes

OMG I agree, I’m 5 ft 4

1 Like

And I’m not much older than you.

Same here. I’m 5 ft 11 and I’m 23.

1 Like

Skin tones vary. Some are tanner, like your character and some are lighter. So in this case, I would limit the skin tones, meaning only allow certain shades Filipinos can have (research instead of guessing). The eyes should be brown. All the other features vary as well.

I know that probably didn’t help but I’m not an expert on what Filipinos look like despite me being a Filipino. Everyone looks different with different features. There is no “perfect” Filipino look. So I would say research Filipinos and see what you should limit or not. And when you do, make sure they are fully Filipino and not half, if you are creating a 100% Filipino.

For names, it really depends on what you want to name her. First names vary. Me and my sisters’ names are French. Our last names are Spanish.

2 Likes

Thank you @nayu.ep and @isabelle.episode for your help! I’ll do my research, don’t worry. :blush: I always do.

About the names, I have few names that I like:

• Reyna
  • Tala
  • Marisol
  • Dalisay
  • Jaslene
A bit about MC herself

The story takes place in a fictional city in Germany. Her occupation is art restorer. She lives with her two best friends Darya and Marcel. Her mum and her stepdad have a flower shop in the same town.

I’m still planning the whole story. :grin:

3 Likes

I’m late af to the party but whatever lol

• Not all Asians have monolids, small eyes. I have big brown eyes and they are double eyelids. (like Round Medium) :llama:
  • Not all Asians are nerds. I have a lot of friends that like to throw parties and stuff. :llama:
  • Not all Asians look the same. Although we look/act similar in some way (like habits, common features like brown eyes), but we are still different. :llama:
  • Not all Asians look in some what way (like fox eyes, small lips), we are diverse af lol :llama:
  • Not all Asians are good at math (like wtf I failed at math bruh), the typical stereotype LOL :llama:
  • Not all Asians are ONLY Japanese, Korean and Chinese. There still other countries out there too. :llama:
  • Not all Asians watch aNimEs and K-PoP- :llama:
  • Some Asian surnames like Wang, Tan, Lim etc are common and normal, so don’t be weird out about it. :llama:
8 Likes

Oh my god, this one!!! I hate when people only name a few Asian countries to make a point. (Not directed to anyone here.) Also, why name just the most “popular” ones?? I get it’s more commonly mentioned but do your research on the different countries when talking about Asians :woman_shrugging:t2: Naming a few doesn’t represent the rest of Asia

Again, not directed to anyone!

5 Likes

You’re welcome! If you want my input on your MC, you can always PM me on Instagram, account same as here. I don’t know if I’ll be of help but I’ll try :joy:

2 Likes

ikr? I know nothing about anime-
My classmates: talking about anime
Me: standing there awkwardly-

4 Likes

SAMEEEE! My best friend is obsessed with anime and I’m Asian but I know nothing about anime at all.

1 Like

Anyone here AAPI have a story to recommend for the upcoming AAPI shelf?

le bump because this thread deserves attention :cowboy_hat_face:

indirectly bump

I can’t believe I overlooked this but who the hell drinks soya sauce :sob:
I use soya sauce for cooking, to dip sushi (yas) and for hotpot sauce stuff :thinking:

I have 6ft tall azz Asian friends :rofl: but yeah, we ain’t all shorties :sob:

3 Likes

Very True :joy: I’m tall, my sister is tall, my brother is tall and so is my dad :joy: :lol:

2 Likes

I drink it :sob: I can’t help it I get cravings for it lmfao

2 Likes

I envy tall ppl :sob:

1 Like

what :flushed:
howwwwwww-

2 Likes