This needs to be said - The community has become toxic

I’ll PM you as I fear i might go off topic

Update: I can’t.

What would you suggest to educate people to debate in a civilised and mature manner?

Yeah I agree with this.

3 Likes

I’m confused. I haven’t seen any authors except racist and toxic ones leave or be exposed in the community. Also, you realize this is happening on INSTAGRAM, right?

4 Likes

I’ve seen it on forums as well unfortunately.

1 Like

Say it louder! Accountability is not oppresion.

6 Likes

I can kind of see where you are coming from, but there’s so many options you can go. You can report someone, and if nothing’s done, then block the person if the platform allows blocking. If it’s the forums, and you can’t handle or you don’t want to see a certain topic, back away. Don’t go into a topic if it’s controversial. You can hide it by muting it. If someone does something to harass or bully you, flag it.

If people are dragging stuff outside of the platform to here, necessary actions can take place to deal with it. If the moderation team doesn’t do anything, then don’t give that person any attention. Trolls don’t thrive if people don’t feed into them.

11 Likes

Yeah, I did too. And at first, I thought with all of these forums about the same topics were getting out of hand but in actuality, it’s spreading awareness, I will admit, I was a bit tired of seeing the same topic and author being exposed, but when I read about all the cultures and religion she was disrespecting in the process, not to mention the plagiarism, I was glad I found out now. And not later.

5 Likes

Period. And moderation actually did do something to help block out these certain topics.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I’m saying. In the end victims get punished and bullies get away with it. What message does that send?

Can you give an example of when this occurred?

1 Like

I know who you’re on about and I won’t say anymore but we can discuss it in private so we don’t go off topic. This post is about discussing how to debate in a civil manner to write prevent taking away the general section and to stop toxicity.

I’m not sure what side of the forums you’re on, but I’ve never seen a victim get punished. What I have seen are people that write racist, homophobic, misogynist stories get away with writing these things people because people think calling out injustices is “bullying”.

3 Likes

I’ll PM you

If you want to teach people how to debate respectfully on contraversial topics then you could start a thread titled something like “Tips for debating Respectfully” or “Respectful Debating” and include your views and add others as they respond.

Though this probably won’t do much as they aren’t using the forums to say these things…

1 Like

I’ve seen many threads like that and they’re useless but thanks for your input. We just need to educate people but there has to be another way to get through. My friend is gonna attempt to educate using her story while being very careful not to break the guidelines. Fingers crossed

Chile,I’ve distanced myself from this community a long time ago, I love the people here but the community as a whole has went down the toilet. I prefer to keep things I post and talk about solely about art and writing. People are no longer allowed to disagree on anything, grow or even write about non-problematic but unpopular topics.

Instagram especially, we cannot be a hive mind who enjoys all the same things, it will never happen, we can’t even express how much we love an art style (INK, Classic, Limelight) without someone coming for our throats. People need to remember that this is a WRITING community and not a drama community. Censoring everything and silencing and banning everyone is not going to help at all either. Things always get worse when that happens.

I’m all for calling out art stealers, racists and other horrible people of course. But we tend to pile hate onto people that really are just writing or stating things that we don’t like. For example; if someone writes a ‘bad boy love story’ or a ‘pregnant by the XYZ’ story they’re sometimes torn to shreds for it. Is that what we want our community to become? We can all do a part in this by trying to be more mindful on how our words and actions affect others.

Honestly Episode has tried to alleviate this problem but none of their tactics have really worked as far as what I’ve seen, in fact most were counter productive. They cant really control what happens outside of the app and forums, and things that happen on instragram and such are usually brought to the forums after it has already escalated. The only people I think who can nip this in the bud are the community itself. We need to actively call out these things and drop our support for people who do these actions until we see positive change

18 Likes

I agree. I’ve only been in the community for a few weeks and some of the stuff I’ve seen is quite shocking. We’ll leave story topics off this thread but feel free to make a new thread about problematic stories. But this is what I’m getting at. People don’t know how to debate without respecting others hence why I made a suggestion to maybe remove the general thread. But obviously in practice that won’t work but I thought I’d try. But I’ve been a reader for 3 years and I never knew the community existed until now and I’ve seen from a bit of research how it was back then and how it is now. We all need to work together to make this community great again

Can you give me one thread where people called out an author for doing nothing?

1 Like

I was just using story topics as an example

But I don’t think removing the general thread would work. I do think that eventually it will happen, every now and then something is removed from the forums which leads to more drama and chaos. Sure we need to learn how to debate respectfully but I don’t think that’s something that episode and their mods can make us do. Personally I think closing the threads temporarily works best, usually after the threads are open users have already had time to reflect and are warned of what can happen if they continue this behavior

6 Likes

This honestly is one of the best takes I’ve seen. We shouldn’t be giving people who mistreat and harass others a platform, but people do it anyways. I remember seeing someone drag a story on a thread, and at first, people were like kind of ganging up on the story.

Then the author comes in, and slowly, it starts revealing how the OP of that thread was a bit toxic towards people and the author. I get wanting to criticize a story, but some peeps are getting too extreme. If you have to use death threats or say some messed up stuff to express yourself about your hatred for a story, you’ve lost the plot imo.

13 Likes