This Place is Too Heavily Policed

Wow…

2 Likes

I remember that happened to me and my friends. We were taking about a situation with a mod and they liked the post. We were in a pm and I was confused.

2 Likes

I think it’s pretty sick (in the bad way) that the mods can violate our privacy by looking into our PMs but us community members can’t use just emojis in a comment or get off topic.

And did I mention that they don’t flag rude comments?

7 Likes

I understand the feeling of violation of your privacy. I’m not saying that it’s right, but maybe they do that because of previous cyber-bulling on forums. If they keep track of what going on, they’ll try to terminate future altercations (though it still might go on either way). When you think about, we are not safe on any social media platform. They still have access to our accounts and messages that they can read as well. Our information is exposed everyday just like phone numbers and apps you download on your devices. We need to really start paying attention with a lot of apps that ask for (access to contacts, location, etc) that it’s not required for. It’s not much we can do about it sadly :woman_shrugging:t5:.

Wait what? Since when did that become a problem? That sounds a bit strange :face_with_raised_eyebrow:.

5 Likes

You can get flagged if you send only a emoji as a response.

2 Likes

Hmm…interesting. Thanks for telling me.

1 Like

Just as an aside, the vast majority of flags are not given by the mods. The mods don’t have time. Fully 99% of flagging is user initiated. Posts can be hidden without a mod ever touching the as part of an automated process. If you are interested in how the process works, and what the automatons are and what triggers them, here are the details:

I am going to go play FF VII on hard mode now, so I can achieve 100% of the trophies. Because I am not even supposed to be here until Monday morning. I just felt the need to weigh in. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Pending Review

Regarding the forum team reading private messages. We have explained many times in the past but I don’t mind reminding everyone :cat_typing: . Yes, the forum team will read your private messages if and only if they are either tagged in them or if the private message has been flagged. This is something we have always admitted to and is 100% accurate. This is done so the forum team can read the entire context of the private message and make the best and most educated decision on how to appropriately handle the flagged content in question.

This is not entirely accurate. Spamming emoji’s aka making a post/reply/thread with nothing but an excessive amount of emojis is considered spam and is not allowed. Replying to a post or thread with a single emoji does not violate any of the forum rules and is not a flagable offense, never has been one :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

We’ve seen someone get flagged using a single emoji as a response to a comment, so it’s confusing. I get the excessive amount of emojis being spam because it wouldn’t really add to a discussion, but what about giving someone a thumbs up as a response? Is it more likely just a user flagging stuff like that?

1 Like

Heeeey I can understand the cause for confusion :wink:. Keeping in mind that the majority of flagging is done by the community and not the forum team…it is :100: possible that a community member flagged another members post that includes only a single emoji as a reply. Once the forum team sees this incorrect flag is gets rejected and the user who was flagged is completely unaffected.
Giving someone a thumbs up response would never get you into trouble :ok_hand:

1 Like

I’ve always wondered how people know that the mods flagged them? I mean, it’s understandable for them to think that (since some mods have done questionable things in the past) but how do you know that they flagged your posts for sure? :thinking:

1 Like

Good question.

1 Like

:heart: Fantastic question! In Discourse (the forum software we use) there is absolutely no indication sent to users stating who has flagged you. So anyone stating that they were flagged by a member of the forum team is stating their opinion and does not know the facts behind the flag. Hope this helps! :grin:

2 Likes

This is why @Nick is THE BEST :clapping: :It makes sense and he explained it really well. I started reading this topic very confused and kinda mad but, by reading Nick’s explanation, it makes so much sense! So thank you!

4 Likes

Im confused what a limelight wish list thread is for then

Im sorry I realized that sounds meaner than I made it out to be

The limelight wish list thread is for outfits that someone wants from a feature story (But they don’t do gem choice outfits I believe). If you want something that not already in the portal like hairstyles, animation, prop and so on, you have to make your own thread :slightly_smiling_face:.

Thank you! I was so confused as to why my replies were getting flagged

1 Like

No problem :wink:! Also, if you do make your own thread for wanted items, make sure you do it correctly or they will close your thread.