Thoughts on mafia story?

So i’ve been thinking about the story “Devil In Disguise” and how the mafia life is really glorified and i am in no way shape or form trying to hate on the author- Sapphire, because she is an amazing author who is very sweet and talented but the way the mafia life is being shown is very different from actual life and knowing that there are young kids is kind of worrying but that is just my opinion!

11 Likes

i kinda agree, in a lot of stories the mafia is completely glorified and romanticized and i personally think if youre gonna write about the mafia at least educate yourself and be aware young impressionable kids are reading this, yk?

2 Likes

yes!!! great way of explaining it

1 Like

Mafia stories are very interesting stories I’d say.
I really like them, the drama and the mixture of romance is just is not bad.
But I really got tired of them quickly in 2 weeks later, I mean almost all mafia stories are from Italy, Spanish or Mexico. I mean, I don’t mean to brag, but it’s true. Almost all featured stories are mafia. And when I got to read it, almost is as same plot as the others, girl fall in love with the mafia leader, the enemy knows what his weakness, drama came and so on. Like come on, they can actually come up better than that. Don’t mean to be rude, it’s just how I see in some stories. If you love them, I don’t judge yall.

All I can say is the stories are not bad but not good:no_mouth:

6 Likes

agreed!!! ^^^

2 Likes

I agree, I’ve read the first 3 chapters and I was so bored out of my mind (no shade towards nobody thou) but I’m currently working on one myself cause recently I made a thread to ask what are somethings you liked or disliked reading a mafia story. Shameless Plug but I’d recommend you give myself & my story a chance. :point_right: :point_left: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

wowow i wish you good luck on your story !!

1 Like

I’ve got to be honest, I stopped reading mafia stories about a year ago. I did a bit of research after watching a few documentaries and my perspective changed on mafia stories. The mafia is a harmful stereotype pressed against Italians and has also decimated hundreds of businesses, families, and innocent bystanders. I just feel like it’s nothing to be romanticized. I also find the men in them to be very sexist and to encourage abusive behavior; both of which I abhor. I have nothing against the authors that write mafia stories, but they’re definitely not for me and I refuse to support them.

9 Likes

exactly, i just feel really guilty reading a mafia story that doesn’t show how harming the mafia world really is

2 Likes

I have to agree with you it just seemed unrealistic

2 Likes

Yup! Plus most mafia bosses are old men whose quality of living is a half step up from a prison cell. I don’t know, those stories just rub me the wrong way… But I also refuse to perpetuate hate against authors so I just don’t pay them any mind or attention.

1 Like

Oof, I knew that, my father just told me what mafia is really is, just yesterday lol.
It’s about michael jordan’s father’s death and idk if its true that his father was killed by a mafia or mafia’s deal.

3 Likes

yup mafias sure has lots of deaths

2 Likes

From 2000 to 2017, organized crime killings claimed the lives of about 1 million people, roughly the same number as were killed in armed conflicts during that time, the U.N.

this is why I don’t like romanticization of Mafia

6 Likes

@theonly
I understand what you meant by showing the topic of mafia from all different angles, from how some would think it’s cool to be feared among many but you always have to keep looking over your shoulder cause you’re enemies are just waiting to have the upper hand. As well as how damaging it with your mental health etc it’s just an never ending bloodshed sadly. :pensive:

1 Like

Please don’t hate on me, but I had considered writing a mafia story, only for a lil bit but I never did thankfully. But I mainly did because it worked well with my idea and it’s really popular ( I have seen personally lots of mafia stories blow up) but I didn’t, I never really wanted to tho I wanted it to be for protecting not harming (which is why I changed it after discussing with people and do a bit of research). I tried to change it but I knew it was unrealistic and I instead made OTTP (Only Trying To Protect) in my story Secrets read it to find out more about OTTP (not a mafia I promise!) disclaimer the part about OTTP isn’t out just yet!

3 Likes

Honestly there my jam, but I think it’s used too much now

1 Like

I hate mafia stories.
It’s very hard for me to get over it when I have to do a review of a mafia stories, and when it is a good story even if I’d like to kee reading it I just can’t.

3 Likes

I grow up in a place where mafia is a great problem.
So, no.
Gang leader are not “bad boys with a kind hearts and a sad past” and so on. They are bad and they ruins the life of many people.
Just. Stop. Romanticize. It.

It’s like someone was going to romanticize terrorists and so on.

8 Likes

Although I understand the controversy around mafia stories, I somehow cannot stop reading them, they’re like a guilty pleasure lmao. But I do understand where the hate comes from and sometimes I do stop myself from reading some when the Li, mafia boss, gets too toxic or is a terrible character.

I also mainly read them when the main plot of the story is the romance and doesn’t focus too much on the illegal activities of the mafia. I do think the trope of mafia stories should be used less and should be used more carefully.

2 Likes