Thoughts on R4R system?

Hmmm… Well, I also think some people do it selfishly (as in, have no intention of actually reading it) and the person on the other end doesn’t know how to say no?

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking! Right. I’d much rather have less reads then, instead of indulging into all this trouble.

1 Like

Agreed!

1 Like

I agree with you @amberose and @BadassSaasha.

I’m still new at all this and I really thought that was “how it worked” when you promoted your story, but no. Because as you said - I would rather have genuine readers, than people who are “forced” to read it.
I want people to read my story because they like it. :blush:

2 Likes

:smile: Right. Because you know not only are these not genuine readers but it also leads to dropping in your reader retention.

1 Like

Yes exactly. :blush:
I’m not asking people to read my story (unless the thread starter is asking for a new story to read, then they can decide if my story sounds interesting or not). But I’ll take a review any day, just so I can improve. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I think R4R is silly. I used to write exclusively on Wattpad and I tried that stuff when I was new, but it doesn’t get you loyal readers and that ruins your reader retention because they only read the first few chapters and the give up.

When I release my new story on here, I’m going to claw up the ranks one reader at a time. And I’m gonna appreciate every single second :joy:

3 Likes

Hmmmmm…
I mixed feelings about the R4R system because in a way I think it’s good, but it’s not sometimes. I understand the fact that it’ll help an author gain reads and a platform for their story, but at the same time it doesn’t do much. I shouldn’t feel obligated to read someone else’s story if it doesn’t interest me. For example, I like romance stories, so if I was doing a read for read with someone who has a horror story, I wouldn’t want to read it. Overall, I just think no one should feel obligated to read a story that they wouldn’t want to read if it doesn’t suit them. You know what I mean? Everybody has free will to read a story at ANY given time so if I’m being a made to read a person’s story, you pretty much lost me as a loyal reader already.

1 Like

I haven’t tried it out, as the story I’m currently writing is unpublished and not ready to be shown yet, but I like the idea of it, (Everyone supports one another!!) however, there have been several scammers, I’ve seen, who fake it to grab some reads, before leaving the other person on read.

I do, however, like threads where it’s just a place for everyone to freely promote their stories! I think it creates a very supporting, warm environment, compared to some scammy (idk if that’s even a real word :joy:) R4R users.

1 Like

I haven’t published yet, so I can’t comment on the efficiency of R4R. But from what I’ve seen, I don’t think I’ll be doing it… Reviewing takes genuine effort and energy to do properly, and agreeing to R4R has its cons (see above comments). I’d rather promote, interact with friends’ stories and vice versa, and just request reviews from groups that are made for that sort of thing.

2 Likes

I denied a R4R once. Like, she sent me her story, but didn’t tell me anything about it, so I asked for the plot and stuff. And…I try to not be a dick when a say stuff, you know me, but I’m often not that interested in some plots, and I straight up told this person like, “Thanks, but I’m not interested in this kind of plot, sorry.”

However, I kinda like R4Rs because I like reviewing and stuff. Every time I review something, most of the time, people are like “Wow! You’re so good at reviewing!” And stuff…Putting that degree I didn’t even earn to use, yayy!!! Lol

2 Likes

Bump!

I’ve been ghosted many times during Read For Read. After I usually read someone’s story, I send them a screenshot. And they said “okay, I’ll your story soon and I’ll send a screenshot!”

Then they never do.