Throwing an overlay

Hi everyone! I’m trying to do some spot directing and I’m having trouble. Here’s my script so far (ignore the fact that it’s a purse dog, I’m waiting for my overlay to get approved!) I want my character to throw the overlay while it’s rotating. Like how in some fantasy stories the character throws the magic spinning orb. Well I want her to do that but she throws it off screen to the left. If that makes sense. Thank you!!

EXT. LOOPING WOODS - NIGHT
@LUNA stands screen center and LUNA is run_athletic_neutral_loop
@zoom on 155 0 to 203% in 0
@pause for 10
@zoom on 166 443 to 203% in 2
@pause for 10
@LUNA exits right and LUNA does it while run_athletic_neutral_loop
EXT. CAVE - NIGHT with ENCLOSED TOTE TERRIER WHITE GREY BLACK to 0.286 194 157 in zone 1 at layer 4
&overlay ENCLOSED TOTE TERRIER WHITE GREY BLACK rotates 360 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in 1 THEN overlay ENCLOSED TOTE TERRIER WHITE GREY BLACK rotates 0 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in 0 loop INFINITE times

@zoom on 166 443 to 203% in 2
@LUNA enters from left to screen center and LUNA does it while run_athletic_neutral_loop
@LUNA faces left AND LUNA is idle_argument_angry_loop
@pause for 2
@zoom on 155 0 to 203% in 0
@pause for 4
@zoom reset
@LUNA starts shove_argument_give_angry

1 Like

This might be due to the fact that when you rotate an overlay with the anchor point 0.5 0.5 (center) it always shifts positions. This is because the default anchor point is 0 0 (left bottom) and when you tell it to change anchor points, it repositions. Hope that makes sense? :sweat_smile: So in order for it too look normally, you have to position the overlay again after the rotation and change its origianl coordinates.
Example:

INT. BACKGROUND with OVERLAY to 1.234 123 123
&overlay OVERLAY rotates 360 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in 1
#You can click on the "Line by line" mode on the previewer so the script 
#stops here. Now reposition the overlay and change the original coordinates

Here’s a tutorial on animating overlays, it also explains rotation and the repositioning:

Good luck! :hugs:

Thank you so much!

1 Like

You know you can still use the overlay in ur story. Itll still show up on the preview you just can’t publish it yet

I actually just figured that out yesterday lol, thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.