šŸŒ¹ Tip: Panning And Timing Overlays in A Game šŸŒ¹

Hereā€™s a technique on searching for an item while panning and having the time limited. This is a short example with only two overlays but of course you will have more in your game. First, please donā€™t use else because it means a reader can click anywhere on the screen and it will time out. Something you donā€™t want because then your reader never got to search for clues at all! After you have all your overlays set, you will then need to upload a random background (could be plain black, white, red, etc. into overlays). NOW, this overlay background will need to cover all your zones (be big enough for all). First, youā€™d place it offscreen. It would also be at the highest layer (itā€™s nice to do it this way :D). In my case, Iā€™m using FLOWERGRIEFE BALLONE as my ā€œbackgroundā€ overlay. I place it offscreen, then I tap around the screen looking for clues (in my case, a car). When the time runs out, I have the ā€œbackgroundā€ overlay appear on screen, with full opacity. I also clear out any other overlays in my scene like the car in case it wasnā€™t tapped. However, if the car was tapped, I just change itā€™s opacity to 0 and then move it offscreen.

Here is the example:

EXT. BEACH TROPICAL BASIC - DAY

&zoom reset

&speechbubble reset

&cut to zone 2

&overlay CAR BUG REAR create
&overlay CAR BUG REAR scales to 1.000 1.000 in zone 1 in 0
&overlay CAR BUG REAR shifts to 54 127 in zone 1 in 0
&overlay CAR BUG REAR to layer 1
&overlay CAR BUG REAR opacity 1 in 0

&overlay FLOWERGRIEFE BALLONE create
&overlay FLOWERGRIEFE BALLONE scales to 1.000 1.000 in zone 3 in 0
&overlay FLOWERGRIEFE BALLONE shifts to 331 -17 in zone 3 in 0
&overlay FLOWERGRIEFE BALLONE to layer 17
&overlay FLOWERGRIEFE BALLONE opacity 0 in 0

NARR
Find a car. Your time is limited.

label car

&pause for 20 then overlay FLOWERGRIEFE BALLONE shifts to 0 0 in zone 1 in 0 then overlay FLOWERGRIEFE BALLONE opacity 1 in 1.5 then overlay CAR BUG REAR clear

tappable[pan:1:3]
ā€œCAR BUG REARā€{

NARR
You selected a car!

@overlay CAR BUG REAR opacity 0 in 1.5
@overlay CAR BUG REAR shifts to -294 124 in zone 1

@CONFIDENCE +1

goto car

}ā€œFLOWERGRIEFE BALLONEā€{

NARR
Timeā€™s up!

}

NARR
Well done.

Breaking it down further:

&overlay FLOWERGRIEFE BALLONE create
&overlay FLOWERGRIEFE BALLONE scales to 1.000 1.000 in zone 3 in 0
&overlay FLOWERGRIEFE BALLONE shifts to 331 -17 in zone 3 in 0 <ā€” as you can see, it is off screen and not visible
&overlay FLOWERGRIEFE BALLONE to layer 17
&overlay FLOWERGRIEFE BALLONE opacity 0 in 0

ā€“>&pause for 20 then overlay FLOWERGRIEFE BALLONE shifts to 0 0 in zone 1 in 0 then overlay FLOWERGRIEFE BALLONE opacity 1 in 1.5 then overlay CAR BUG REAR clear ā† here, I pause for 20 seconds and then I have the background overlay appear while clearing out all other overlays. The reader has no choice but to tap on this overlay since it covers everything.

@overlay CAR BUG REAR opacity 0 in 1.5
@overlay CAR BUG REAR shifts to -294 124 in zone 1 <ā€“if I tapped on the overlay, I make its opacity 0 and place it offscreen

If the car overlay was tapped, I gained a point as well. You can read more about overlays here: https://www.dara-amarie.com/tappable-overlays
and more about the points system here: https://www.dara-amarie.com/points-system (points are really good if you want clue points or something like that and you want them to be remembered later on. Can also use gains for each specific tappable option. The possiblities are endless, mes ami(e)s! :rose:

Testing it out (video):

6 Likes

By the way, you can also set your background overlayā€™s opacity to 0. So that means even though itā€™s not visible on the screen, it would still get clicked (itā€™s covering all the zones).

BTW overlay by @FlowerGriefer , Ik I already mentioned haha but Iā€™m going to tag her :crown: Thank you Tulip Queen :yay:

4 Likes

Something I didnā€™t know I needed until now, you are the best :star_struck:
Thank you @JemU776 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :blob_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you very much it has helped a lot!!!

Bump <3

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.