Tips For New Participants

Okay, so we may have some particpants/authors joining for the first time for Adventurous Contest including myself. What good tips can u give us?

P.S. For me, winning or losing doesnt matter. Trying your best always matters. So, after the contest, you did it, u gave it your best shot even if u didnt make the shelf. U had fun, help, a good experience.

Lets hear from u guys. :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up:

7 Likes

What a coincidence, I joined my first contest as well as writing my first story here.

This may be applied to most stories, but SPEND. YOUR. TIME. WISELY. I made the mistake thinking I could accomplish finishing the 2nd and 3rd episodes in an orderly fashion in a few days. Yeah, yikes, depending on the level of directing you want to put in, expect you may need a couple more hours or days than you would think. lol

7 Likes

lol yep.

1 Like

who can make a chapter a couple of days? I need a month

but I also have ADHD and are dyslexia so I canā€™t work for too long at a time. so it may be faster if you dont have to struggle with those two

but here is a tip, have a storyline. know where you are going with the story. wing it is the worst you can do cause you will hit a wall

I myself dont have time to be in the contest. I have a busy month. I else had a pretty good idea

5 Likes

Yeah :smile: myself and @NICOLE94 are entering together!

General tips that everyone probably knows already:

• At least plan a little. Know where youā€™re going with the story. Know your story.
  • Use advanced directing (overlays, spot directing, choices etc.)
  • Have good grammar, punctuation and general English.
  • Make it interesting! Iā€™m sure you know how much the majority of the Episode community hates clichesā€¦
8 Likes

I wrote this on an old thread and Iā€™m definitely no expert lol, but maybe this will help?

6 Likes

awesome. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Iā€™m not a professional because this is only my second story and the long amount of years on episode I still donā€™t know half of the things and how to use them. Definitely, ask for help when needed, make your story BIG unique, Plot before writing

2 Likes

The biggest tip I can giveā€¦
Manage your time!
I was going to participate in MC contest but Iā€™m so dumb I thought I could write 3 episodes in a week(donā€™t judge pls)
With this adventurous contest, not going to do the same stupid mistake again so Iā€™m already working on the story. 7 weeks

3 Likes
  1. Write what you love and not for the reads so that when it ends you still have the motivation and willingness to continue to the finish. And when you do you will feel accomplished and satisfied. That itself is an achievement.

2. Know the requirements of the contest and the rules.

3. Know your story well to see if tu fits in the genre.

4. Dont expect to win nor get as much reads even after contest is over. Just hold your head up high with a great self esteem and just keep going and going and going. #MakeYourStoryMovieWorthy

3 Likes

:blush::raised_hands:t3::point_up_2:t3::sunglasses:

1 Like

Donā€™t make your episodes too too long because youā€™ll likely lose reader retention, but also donā€™t make it too short.

Donā€™t overcrowd w/ spot directing - this can cause crashing in older phones, which will hurt your retention.

Wow your readers in every chapter! Leave them on a cliffhanger. You want them to continue reading every episode.

3 Likes

:clap:t3:

2 Likes

@NICOLE94 come read this lol

2 Likes

lol

1 Like

S. Langdon has a great blog:

3 Likes

I entered the College Days writers contest and had such a positive experience! (Note: I was not selected for the shelf).

Win or lose, itā€™s a great way to start getting your name out there and generate interest in your work!

Tips I would share are:

• Have your plot planned out before you start writing!
  • Keep in mind the demographic that mainly reads episode stories. The vast majority will be young women who are interested in CC and romantic plots or sub plots.
  • Do NOT make an author introduction. Itā€™s a turn off to many people when yourself as an ink or LL character walks on screen to explain/apologize/introduce etc. etc. etc.
  • Promote on the forums and Instagram!
  • Have an attractive cover! This is hugely important. A lot of people will ā€œjudge a book by itā€™s coverā€.
  • You MUST have proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation in your dialogue. Period. Itā€™s non negotiable. (Okay, maybe a few minor mistakes are ok and will likely be overlooked.)
4 Likes

I have so much to write, kind of stuff Iā€™ve seen from past winners.

Soā€¦ your story is actually not graded unless you have 100 reads, which, isnā€™t that hard to get if you make a viral story.

Iā€™d suggest you check out what the past winners put in their story. Unknown or known, most winners are viral stories, you can put what they put.

Mostly;

• CC (some people may click off if you dont have CC)
  • Advanced directing (doesnā€™t need to be too advanced, but donā€™t make it basic)
  • Choices. A LOT of choices.
  • Short episodes (maximum 15 I would say)
  • Good pacing, donā€™t bore the readers, add chocies and scenes that flow nicely

Yeah, thatā€™s about it. :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

awesome tips guys :sunglasses::raised_hands:t3: :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m entering the adventurous contest, wish me luck :pray:

3 Likes