Tips for non-english writers

Hi! I’ve been struggling while trying to develop ideas for stories. Since English it’s not my main language, i check any episode I’m working in a hundred times because i’m never sure if I’m explaining or making the characters talk in an appropiate way .
What advice would you give writers like me? (Regarding language, descriptions, development).
Thank you!!

8 Likes

Proofreaders! Ask your friends or people here on the forums if they could proofread your story for grammar/typos etc. It really helps a lot. You yourself just don’t always spot every mistake. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

You could use Grammarly to correct your sentences.
It helped me a lot.
Btw, English also not my first language. :joy:

5 Likes

Oh great! Had not thought of that

2 Likes

I have the same problem as the girl that wrote this post and that’s a good solution but isn’t it a little bit “dangerous”? Can’t someone try to steal the plot? :thinking:

4 Likes

I understand your concern. In this case I’d recommend choosing people you trust. Also if anybody would actually steal your plot, you can report this person. It’s quite easy to prove it.

4 Likes

Also if you publish a story, there’s the same risk :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

you can make a main language story! we have a lot of foreign authors (including me) and they make great stories, it doesnt matter what language it is.

3 Likes

What you said is the best solution and I know some native speakers but I don’t think that they would want to correct a 1300 lines script :sleepy: Also I think it’s not the same risk b/c you give them the script ready with the direct with everything, it’s not much of effort to copy it and paste it on their platform, while if you already have published it the other that will decide to copy the story will have to work their butt, I just wished I could find someone trustful, my story will be late to be published, so I hope I will have find someone till then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::wink:

3 Likes

Wait no… When proofreading, you don’t send other people your whole script. You just send your share link. They read the story as if it was already published, even if it’s not.

4 Likes

Also if you’d like, I’d be happy to proofread for you! But it’s gonna be after the 5th, as I’m entering the AW contest,

2 Likes

THAT CAN HAPPEN!?!?!?!?!:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream: I had no idea!!! i don’t even know how to do it! Also thank you, I am writing first the whole story and then I’ll publish it so as I can update weekly or so as I can change a few things that I couldn’t if I had published (I am still at ep. 10 btw). Again thank you, I would love to if you would be able to proofread when I complete, have you Instagram so as I can follow you?

2 Likes

You send people this link. This way they don’t have an insight in your script at all but still are able to read your story even if it’s not published yet.

4 Likes

I though it worked only if you had published the story, thank you, I got excited now, I thought I should give the script as it is

3 Likes

DM me on instagram when you’re ready! --> @martini.episode

2 Likes

I’m glad I could help, haha. :grin::dancing_women:

3 Likes

I followed you, thanks again, I may text you before I publish my story just to see how you doing, if you want, you seem really kind, I also want to read your story when it’s ready, again if you want :innocent::v:t4:

3 Likes

Haha, you’re so sweet :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Sure, feel free to dm whenever you want! I’m always happy to help. Yeah I’d be happy if you’d read my story and tell me your thoughts. :innocent:

2 Likes

Yes please, I would love to read it, I’ll text you on insta to see how is it going, again thank you sooooo much

2 Likes

Of course! :ok_woman:t3::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes