Tips for Writing Mystery Thrillers?

Hiya!
I have a new story idea again which is gonna be a mystery thriller. In terms of mystery stories, I’m quite experienced in it. However, I don’t write thriller stories as much.

Basically, what I’m asking is "What makes a thriller story a thriller story?"

3 Likes

Moved to Share Feedback since this is about your story idea. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

1 Like

One of the things that I think adds to the suspense of thrillers is the directing, especially shadows/angles. Stories like The Game and Scorned (both by author.AmberJ) have a really fantastic use of overlays to create a darker mood. I think smart camera angles are a must for a good reveal.

2 Likes

Always keep the suspense going and surprises. I also feel like darker tones like filters make a thriller story more spooky too.

3 Likes

Directing tip: Use the filters for intense scenes.
Writing tip: Try to reveal a little of the past… but never too much! (Remember: Show, don’t tell only works when you show the right amount of info)
I literally can’t understand what I typed :clown_face: Oh well, hope it helps :blob_hearts:

5 Likes

bump :sparkles:

Try using a filter which makes the whole atmosphere I the story filled with suspense.
Dialogues are good but try to “show” the thing.
Make sure your story has a plot twist and a lot of suspense.
The best way to bring suspense is brilliance in the planning of scenes. (A glimpse to the future or messed up past keeps the readers on the edge of the seat.
Show what’s at stake.
Make things difficult for your protagonist.

2 Likes

I am also writing a thriller story at the moment. If you need help feel free to pm me here or on IG. :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.