Tips On Coding Mini-Games

Ok, I’m going to need some tips on coding mini-games. Yes, have to use overlays, and tappable overlays. What else do you need to do to make a mini-game? Does branching comes in as well? Tag anyone else who has mini-games. and can offer some help if they can.

@Problematic_Patrick
@amberose
@Himeji

2 Likes

I think it takes a lot of coding tbh… Gains and if/elif/else etc. I would like these wonderful ladies to elaborate :slight_smile:
@JemU776
@Dara.Amarie
@Apes

2 Likes

yeah, it does. Welp, practice makes perfect.

1 Like

Indeed it does :smiley:

1 Like

For mine I used
Tappable overlays

I created a puzzle with tiles that have to be rotated.

1 Like

I have also helped other users make some mini games I’m always happy to help, although it sometimes takes me a week or so due to working but I genuinely try and get it done as quick as I can.

1 Like

thanks so much @Emmzy! :100::100::raised_hands::raised_hands::grin::sunglasses:

No problem :wink:

1 Like

I make mini games, it uses point systems and tappables.

1 Like

I was just making one it’s called “Survive the Killer”

It’s where you have to make it out the house alive, and you only have 3 lives, with timed choices.

2 Likes

wow!

1 Like

I know, I hope I can finish today, so I can share it on my thread.

1 Like

What mini game are you planning to do?

1 Like

Archery. Hm, I’m thinking of some other ones, but I’ll see what happens. So, I’m working on archery. I already made a background and have overlays from it.

1 Like

That’s super cool :wink:

1 Like

Boom-bada-boom!

:bow_and_arrow:

1 Like

I can totally see that in a mini game!!! If you ever need any help tag me.

1 Like

Will do!:bow_and_arrow:

1 Like

Depends on the mini-game. I use the point system, if/elif/else statements as well as tappable overlays and gains all together. If/else statements are mainly used for consequential choices (hence, you’ll have branching), gains are used to remember choices but as far as I know, they can’t be undone so I sparingly use them if I ever do. Instead of gains, I like to use the point system using off-screen characters as variables and point trackers. They can easily be reset so that makes it’s easier for readers to replay your mini game. It’s hard to explain how to make a mini game because everyone has a different idea of how they want their mini games to work. @Dara.Amarie probably has some secret tips up her sleeve too. She’s always my go to for anything directing related. If not, I know a lot of directors in the community, including myself, like @LyraKeiken, are welcome to helping anyone via dm or our instagrams. Mine is @himeji.episode if you need anything!

3 Likes

I know that in fighting mini games with health bars, I use the point system and the characters to mimic their points.

I’ll set both characters to 0 right before the start of the game, then they lose a point for every hit.

There’s the label at the start of the mini game to go back to once the reader has chosen which way to fight.

Because mine goes in a sequence (the enemy ducks, punches and kicks), I need three lots of choices for each sequence (nine altogether).

After each set of choices (one part of the sequence) I use the if/elif/else system to determine how much health the MC or enemy hasn’t left. If the MC is -3 points, then the game is over and I’ll reset both characters to 0, then goto the start label. If the enemy is -3 then I’ll make a goto label to continue with the episode.

1 Like