Tips, tricks & discussions: How to make your story better

Agreed.

1 Like

I kind of feel like there aren’t any stories that don’t have romance involved, and it’s annoying to keep reading the same shit over and over
I feel like writers just copy whatever story they see, change it up a bit, and when they get called out my one person they make a spot outro on their story like “i HaVE bEeN gETtInG sO mUCh hAtE lAteLY”
I just want one story that’s like dark
And by dark, I don’t mean tragic backstory that happened to one person and now their life is over and they can never love again and they lost all hope and they want to die, I want it to affect an entire state, and every person in it. Like someone evil took over and now everyone lives in fear and the MC is chosen to TRY to save the people.
Ok, and let’s just talk about cliche’s
I get it, you want your story to be trendy, so you go and write what’s popular; but let me just break your little bubble and give you the truth, stop dreaming your gonna be famous for some basic overused plot you probably copied from one of those sucky stories on the featured shelves and get yourself together until you can use your brain to come up with something creative
I am TIRED of seeing girl with some sort of past falls for bad boy who also has some sort of past but not as bad as the girl and they start kissing 2 seconds after they meet and the boys like “sHE’s sO DifFerEnt” AND THEN THE GIRL DOES A COMPLETE 180 WITH HER PERSONALITY AND GOES FROM SHY ASS COWARD TO SNARKY COLD BITCH.
Give. Me. Something. Different

You’re still reading? You’ve got the patience of a god!

I have 2 more rants lefts, I’m sorry :sob:
Love triangles
Sighs
These damn authors think they are so clever with their little love triangles. “Maybe if I don’t give the readers a choice and pick which one they end up with?” “What if the character fight over the girl?”
" MAYBE the girl should just be playing them both" " Maybe I should do all of them at once because that isnt overused at all
Of your gonna do a love triangle, do it right
I want a love triangle wher LI 1 and LI 2 fight over the girl but then the girl realizes she’s asexual and get 2 puppies and a kitten and LI 1 and LI 2 realize that they loved each other this whole time and we are only fighting to impress each other and be this happy gay couple and also get 2 puppies and a cat, and the girl and the boys reamin friends (I swear if any steals my idea)
And final rant drumroll
THE MC
Some people cannot get the personality right! The MC is either a shy girl (who usually doesn’t have friends because god forbid shy people have friends)
And it’s ok if youre shy, but if you NEVER stand up for yourself or talk to anyone, then you’re not shy, youre cardboard
But then there the snarky bitch
Okay fine, the MC was probably thru some shit to become this way buuuuut, ifs she’s ALWAYS that way and rude to everyone, then she’s a bully. Yes, traumatic events shape and change people. But you conscience is always there, even if you ignore it. And not to mention, in most stories with trauma of PTSD involved, the MC never gets a therapist, some guy comes along and magically fixes everything.

ANYWAYYYY
That’s my big rant and if you didn’t read it I don’t even blame this thing is long

11 Likes

This sounds like a description of Twilight :DDDDD

Why thank you. ^^

:clap::raised_hands:

Feel free to rant here. :smiley:
I love rants. Rants are entertaining.

But hey! There are stories that are without romance. Mostly in comedy/horror/thriller genres. And that makes sense.
I guess you are just frustrated about lack of original ideas, or just bad stories. We all are. But there are good stories, just gotta look harder for them :wink:

2 Likes

Well, It is a description of twilight

Do you have any suggestions? I absolutely loved the story Shroud (or Shraud I don’t really know)
I like cliche stories if there is some humor into it tbh

1 Like

If u tell me preferred genres, then sure :slight_smile: maybe other dits.

Damn you replied mad fast, it’s 4 AM where I live
Anyways, I do like horror or mystery, mostly because of the lack of cliches in that area. But I love comedy stories.
I feel like I’m making the thread go off topic. Sorry :frowning_face:

That’s fine. I have links to main comments anyway.
Comedies.
Confessions of a female jock. I reviewed it here. Very nice.
Psychology 101 , by Annie Edison. She has other stories, comedies as well.
One of the girls, amberose. Started reading it recently.
Diary of a troublemaker, by Toriah. Also recently started, very well done. Smthg like romance comedy.
More popular stories - Galactic Game by Lucky, amazing quality.
I would suggest mine, if you are into mystery-fantasy stories. I have very good retention, if it says smthg :smiley: link in OP

3 Likes

ugh thank you, you have saved me hours worth of boring stories

1 Like

Well I hope so :smiley: Maybe my taste isn’t really compatible with urs. Feel free to tell which of these you liked. Very interested.

1 Like

I just read the first episode of your story and I can confidently say that I am in love

1 Like

Oww ^^ That’s so sweet. Thank u.

No problem! I wish I could direct as well as you

You will :slight_smile: I am writing on Episode for 3 years I think, with pauses but still. My first stories were basic af) this is like my 6th attempt to create something good)

Wow! That’s a long time

1 Like

How many people really want stories with no romance here? :thinking:

• Me :raising_hand_woman:‍♀
  • Not me :zipper_mouth_face:

0 voters

1 Like

I’d say I’m fine with both options :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi!
I’m working on a story and I hope someone can help me with this:
My MC has to travel for five days. I had the idea to show her on the road, maybe at a motel, then on the road again but I don’t want to switch day and night for 5 times to get my point across. At the same time I do want the reader to feel the journey was long and tedious. Can I just show the road, the night and then a time skip in a narration: “Four days later I arrived
etc.” or does anyone have a better idea for me?
Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sooooo. I can suggest the approach I used in one of my stories.
Check the gif

What I did it create duplicate character (same clothes/hair etc.). Then I upload the background as overlay and create this thing. If you are interested in trying this, I can help you later with the code.

3 Likes

That looks awesome! In the meantime I came up with something about the same idea, the MC walks and the background/ landscape changes behind her.
I just LOVE what you did here with the overlays :heart: I like playing with them, too.

2 Likes

we
 if you came up with ur own idea - it’s great :slight_smile: Anyway feel free to DM me if u decide to try mine.

1 Like