Top mistakes authors do in their story

“I could care less.”
It’s “I couldn’t care less.”

• Mistakes to do with your/you’re.
  • Mistakes to do with their/there/they’re.
6 Likes

I don’t have any thing basic that hasn’t been said. But like does anyone get annoyed the club scene in almost every story. Like they always go to the club and end then “accidentally Meet the LI” I mean nothing wrong with it. But is very much used a lot. :weary:

4 Likes

yes, I had a scene where the best friend talk about something traumatic, and episode made me remove most of it. so now it seem like I just gloss over it. like it wasent traumatic,

short about what happened she was kidnap as a child and she saw the royal guard who was kidnap with her getting brutally killed,

guilty, though its a taverne, since its medieval fantasy. but he is not the only love interest. so I took a clichi one because it is hard to present multiple once in original ways

2 Likes

I agree so much. Im like yall were in a relationship this whole time why didnt you let him explain what was happening

2 Likes

Exactly, all authors use the same reaction and it gets pretty irritating.

1 Like

I am actually agreeing with everything @Tabiso.stories and @dynastywrites mentioned. :wink:
But also I want to fill in some extra stuff. :point_right: I totally start to dislike stories with mean girls and creeps… Like there is in the feature stories no mean guy or a creepy girl to find… It always needs to be a mean girl fighting with MC for the LI and a creepy guy attacking the MC in a dark alley. Becomes a little boring.

1 Like

True! Like I said with the sexual assault, the creepy guy always showing up is so annoying because it’s used just so the LI can jump in and save the “helpless MC” and ugh… Just no. Also the mean girl… It’s so bad for feminism, because not only is she mean for to the MC usually for no reason (unless the MC is constantly hitting on her boyfriend or something which kinda justifies it but not really lol) but when MC stands up to her it’s filled with slut shaming comments and misogynistic ideas. It makes me sad to see authors writing stories putting girls against each other. I totally get and LOVE making female villains, but make them villains over something other than boys, please.

1 Like

THIS. this happened to me not with culture but with lgbtq+ stereotypes and in all the stories (most not all) gay men always wear make up and are super confident and are very feminine and that masculine gay men aren’t a thing and the same with lesbians they’re not always masculine and super buff and tough!!

thank god their are some lgbtq stories that dont support stereotypes!

3 Likes

I hate this too. I’m sorry but I just cringe so hard when the characters break the fourth wall and start talking to the author :skull: in the past when I was a wee young lass, I did do author notes but they were never long and I never had myself talk to the characters lmao (I did have a fake episode husband, which is cringe in of itself, but that’s a whole other thing :skull: :sweat_smile:)

I guess it’s harmless though, so it’s not too big of a pet peeve for me.

1 Like

My list of mistakes that I dislike:

Author notes: Lmao… this definitely seems to be a popular opinion. Sometimes it makes sense and is necessary, but most of the time when it’s EVERY episode, I just find myself thinking… “can you please just use a Narrator bubble?” :sob: Like @dynastywrites said, it’s even worse when the characters break the fourth wall and have arguments with the author of the story. No shade to anyone who does this, but it’s really cringe to me.

Fast-paced romance: This has been said a million times, but seriously. Who meets someone for the first time, eyes them up and down and immediately thinks to themselves “wow, they’re special and not like other girls/guys”? Because I know I sure as hell don’t. As a person who is very against love at first sight and has never experienced it, it doesn’t feel realistic to me and I usually exit. What’s the point of it being in the romance genre when they’re already in love in the pilot episode?

Forced LI: I hate when I’m reading a story with 2 love interests, and I really like one of them (usually the least popular and the author’s least favourite) and I don’t get to spend ANY time with them AT ALL. The author just keeps pushing me on the other LI (who’s usually possessive and way too aggro about everything) and forcing me to kiss him/sleep with him or whatever. Gimme that soft boy. I don’t want you, bad boy.

Bad grammar and spelling: If English is not your first language, I’ll give you a pass for this one. But some people are just too lazy to spell check or get a proofreader and it becomes really obvious in the story when they constantly use “your” rather than “you’re” and things like that.

Random pregnancies: Look, I want kids in the future. I like kids. But what I don’t like is when halfway through the story, the main character randomly gets pregnant. It has no substance and I believe it’s a lazy excuse for a plot point. Unless it’s something that’s vital to the plot, I really don’t like it. To piggyback off of this - I hate when the MC is pregnant and she constantly hits and screams at the LI to get her food or whatever because they think that’s how women act when pregnant. I’m sure some do, but they’re probably not the type of women I’d want to date if I was a guy. So I feel bad for the Love interest.

’Quirky’ MCs: This is kind of related to the last one. I hate with a burning passion when the MC will slap her friends/love interest to be humorous. Once in a while is okay if it’s clear that it didn’t hurt the character. If I had a friend that slapped me across the face, I’d drop them like a hot potato. No thanks. And don’t even get me started on the ‘I-love-food-so-I-must-be-unique’ MC. Everyone loves food! You’re not special, Stacy! Loving food is not a personality trait so I hate it when authors make that their character’s only defining quality.

Gay/POC characters whose only character traits are, well… that: I am not part of the LBGTQ+ community, nor am I a POC, so I don’t really have a right to speak on what is offensive and what is not to those groups. But I can recognise when characters are written badly and their only personality traits are being LGBTQ+ or a POC. GIVE THEM SOME RESPECT, they’re people too. Actually treat them like they’re real people and have real personalities :unamused:

8 Likes

Gay/POC characters whose only character traits are, well… that: I am not part of the LBGTQ+ community, nor am I a POC, so I don’t really have a right to speak on what is offensive and what is not to those groups. But I can recognise when characters are written badly and their only personality traits are being LGBTQ+ or a POC. GIVE THEM SOME RESPECT, they’re people too. Actually treat them like they’re real people and have real personalities :unamused:

^^Yea this happens too much and make me mad 9 times out of 10

4 Likes

Bump!

1 Like

I agree with you :100:

2 Likes

Dont put customization
Wrong Layers
When you can tell that the author is new to writing-for example trying to force comedy in what the characters say
Have 2+ LI
Make the LI & MC kiss to fast - like they meet and then they kiss in the next episode something lke that
Tell us about the MC or LI past instead of showing - unless its not that important
and etc…

3 Likes

I agree with you! I do actually like when authors never add CC to add custom poses and limbs because for me it enhances the reading experience.
I myself am publishing a story where the MC has been abused in the past so she has a hard time trusting people but she for some reason trusts the love interest. She feels comfortable with him from the moment she meets him and so she starts to develop something with him and it’s something different so I’m proud of myself.
BTW am I the only one that doesn’t like mafia at all?

4 Likes

I don’t think mafia stories are bad. It’s just that the way their portrayed is unrealistic.

1 Like

I am not a fan of a genre that is filled with people taking romantic stories into thriller and they portray the love interest as the big strong man who has a doll and no man is allowed to look at her an touch her and this little girl is helpless and weak and is just an object to this “alpha” man.
People get famous from this which I hate to see but I totally agree with you when I say the reason why they are so bad and I personally hate them is the way they are portrayed.

4 Likes

You’re right, I’d love to see more strong female leads in those kinds of stories!

1 Like

say something like “this is my first story, sorry if there are any grammar mistakes.”
You really don’t need to make that clear, like it’s okay.

1 Like

I personally do not care for mafia, because I just can’t sympathize with someone who just cold-bloodedly kills others and is supposed to somehow be our hero. There are very few exceptions, but it’s really not something I’m interested in.

1 Like