𝓒𝓸𝓬𝓸𝓪 𝓦𝓪𝓯𝓯𝓵𝓮’𝓼 𝓐𝓻𝓽 𝓒𝓻𝓲𝓽𝓲𝓬 𝓣𝓱𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓭

𝓒𝓸𝓬𝓸𝓪 𝓦𝓪𝓯𝓯𝓵𝓮’𝓼 𝓐𝓻𝓽 𝓒𝓻𝓲𝓽𝓲𝓬 𝓣𝓱𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓭

Welcome to the Cocoa Waffle’s Art Critic Thread!

Whether you are stopping by or want to get some feedback on your art we beg of you to read this. Our art critic thread is supposed to help you achieve more improved art. Whether you want info on drawings, overlays, edits, etc… We are here to help you. All we ask in return is to maybe see your improvement. :upside_down_face:

Rules

1.) Be careful of others feelings.
2.) If you aren’t @Cocoa_bean23 or @ArtisticWaffle then don’t be judging others work. Polls are ok.
3.) Stay on topic or else you will be flagged. :woman_shrugging:
4.) Drama is a big fat no. You will not be spreading drama on this thread or even remotely starting any.
5.) We are giving you our honest feedback. Be sure that you want to hear it.
6.) This thread is not a request thread and it never will be. So get over it please.
7.) Know that you all have potential we are only getting you a couple steps further. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
8.) pm us with any questions or concerns. Our thread is not the main place to do so.
9.) Don’t steal people’s art. It. Is. Not. Cool. Just don’t do it. :woman_facepalming:

Form

1.) Art to be critiqued: (pictures)
2.) Length of Experience:
3.) One thing I like about my art:
4.) One thing I’d like to improve on:
5.) General style I’m going for: (semi realistic, realistic, cartoony, etc…)
6.) [Optional] What I’d like my art to look like:
7.) [Optional] Someone who inspires you?
8.) App used?
9.) [Optional] Extra information?]
10.) [Optional] Insert a poll here from 1 to 10 if you’d like to be rated on a number scale:

10 Likes

Omg I was literally thinking about doing something just like this a few days ago! I was just gonna wait a couple days so I wasn’t as busy. Do you think I still can make one of my own without it being a duplicate? I would get an art review, but I’m not feeling the best about my art right now so I’m gonna hold off for now. Maybe I’ll get one later if I feel better about it.

6 Likes

Form

2.) Length of Experience: Umm…I dunno!
Its that I spend tons of hours together trying to get it better but… :neutral_face
So maybe its the hard work that I like :sweat_smile:
Almost everything…shading, shadows, clothes and contour effect on the face
5.) General style I’m going for: (semi realistic, realistic, cartoony, etc…) Semi realistic maybe? And yeah I don’t make any semil realistic art. I’m just trying to make one.
6.) [Optional] What I’d like my art to look like: ??
A lot of people so ok…I aimn’t gonna tag them…ArtisticWaffle, Cocoabean, ParisLover, Zey, Rose, Sky and many others.
8.) App used? lbis paint, picsart (editing,filters)
9.) [Optional] Extra information?] Nope
10.) [Optional] Insert a poll here from 1 to 10 if you’d like to be rated on a number scale:

0 voters

4 Likes

@Frey - I will review your art in a couple hours. That is unless @ArtisticWaffle doesn’t get to it first. :upside_down_face: Have good rest of your day/night! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::pleading_face:

4 Likes

1.) Art to be critiqued:

2.) Length of Experience:
Digital coloring: I started around 9-10 months ago, but I stopped for a while. I’ve started digital drawing again now that I’ve joined the Episode community.
Drawing Faces: None. Even my 7-year-old stick figures didn’t have faces.
3.) One thing I like about my art: Generally I like how I shade my hair but I’m not good with short hair. My skin shading is nice, I guess.
4.) One thing I’d like to improve on: Lineart, faces, PROPORTIONS. My lineart feels off but I can’t tell what’s wrong with it. The eyes look nothing alike though. Coloring/shading short hair.
5.) General style I’m going for: Semi realistic ig?
6.) [Optional] What I’d like my art to look like: N/A (I linked some tutorials but that’s not exactly what I want my art to look like)
7.) [Optional] Someone who inspires you? A lot of people
8.) App used? Photoshop, my Wacom tablet
9.) [Optional] Extra information? Some tutorials I vaguely followed: Shading | Eyes
Also, I made a thread for others to critique my art and I’ve been posting more art that I’ve done, so if you want to see more art you can check here

Coloring/Shading:

0 voters

Lineart:

0 voters

4 Likes

Thanks for submitting! Should I take this one @Cocoa_bean23?

4 Likes

Go ahead :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

@Frey 𝕐𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕚𝕖𝕨:

Hello there! :upside_down_face: Let me begin with saying what a pleasure it is to be reviewing your art right now. I see lots of potential in your work and am so happy to maybe be able to help you along the way whilst reaching your potential. A artist can always have more practice! I would like to ask if your comfortable with it to maybe PM me your next art piece. I would like to see if any of this information has helped you whatsoever. Now what you most likely have been waiting for… Your art review!

Outline: I would say aybe try and give dip pen har or dip pen soft a go! I have found these brushes to work excellent when in force fade. Widen you pen color or maybe change it to black. I personally find the piece more interesting when the outline is in black or they have a great understanding with shading. Give black a go and maybe once you have perfected your shading enough to where you feel you only need a basic sketch of the item. I have learned that swapping your layers from view left and right can honestly help. I feel it basically just gives you a better and more ideal way to portray the thing or person you are drawing. Your nose. I am going to be honest here I feel the nose is way droopy. for more of a semi-realistic nose try having both nostrils. You just need a better understanding with the nose. Type in SareTepes on google! She has some fantastic art and I think it may fall a little bit in to your liking/category. Eyes. I really do like the eyes but I am just a little confused as to why there is skin in the corner area of her eye? Along with this being said those two harsh eyelashes don’t make much sense to me. I like the rest of the eyelashes. Truly. Maybe you could have the all the way instead? Maybe try blending with the underneath area of the eyelash I think that could add some more depth to things.

Skin shading: I think you have a more so beginners understanding when it comes to skin shading. Try to remember the environment or feeling the character has when shading in they’re skin. Maybe they are sweaty so make her have more highlight. Maybe its colder outside and she has rosy cheeks. Along with the cheek’s bone maybe use a darker color for shading I cant really notice much depth in your skin shading. tbh. Try looking on YouTube for videos like: “Digital art: How to paint skin.” There are many videos on it. Lets be real here though, the longer the better. :laughing:
Hair: Because you are trying to achieve a more semi-realism look I would say use the brush "oil (hair) I have been using it lately and it works very well. I would say make sure to know where your light source is coming from, and I honestly think this applies for any part of your painting. Adding more depth and using multiple layers to achieve this is a great way to go. Follow from that main color tone though when picking your colors. Say you have charcoal hair and want some highlights you may have a second base layer for the hair where you blend some white and grey. Remember where the hair is coming fro. Key words: the head. Every single piece of hair comes from the head and be sure to know how it gets there.
Your ideal understanding: I would say you have a in between understanding. Your crossing beginners into your basic “okayers” which in my head means your making progress.
Eyes, eyebrows, lips, fingers, etc… : I would say try working on your shading with the lips and the color for the eyes. Remember YouTube is your friend. I am gonna say this to: the you-tuber doesn’t have to be using Ibis paint(x) or anything just for you to get a more improved understanding of anything.
Honest opinion: I of course like the ideal thought of this piece but I feel there would be a lot of improvements you could make. Who knows maybe when you become very good at this you may want to come back and redo this.

6 Likes

@Omelet
Thanks for submitting your wonderful art!

Just a clarification that nothing I say here is meant to discourage you or tear apart your art. Your art is your own and you may do with it what you please. I am only trying to help you improve faster.

At a first glance…
I like your piece. The colors are well chosen and realistic. I would recommend flipping the canvas. You mentioned having trouble with the eyes not looking alike. Flipping the canvas a few times throughout your process will help you see the mistakes you’re making. Try not to do this at the end though, or you may be disappointed and frustrated to see your mistakes. Stepping away for a day or a few hours will also get you a fresh perspective, so maybe try that. You also mentioned taking a long break which can be good to get reinspired, but it probably left you a bit rusty and you may have forgotten some things you learned. That’s ok though, I just recommend from now on not taking too many long breaks if you’d like to retain what you learned. Staying with it and drawing at least a little bit everyday is sure to make you improve faster.

Line art
You said that line art is one of your struggling points, so here are some pointers. I see that you’ve picked up your pen a few times when doing your line art of the face. I would recommend either erasing the tiny lines that stick out or using one fast stroke for the entire face. Try using different line weights, too. Line weights are different thicknesses. You can have thicker lines around bigger areas, such as the face and thinner lines around smaller areas, such as the nose. You could also try turning on alpha lock on your line art layer and coloring it in with a color slightly darker than what’s below it. Just an idea. If you want your art to be more realistic, I would start to step away from line art. Humans don’t have lines in the sense of line art, so blending away line art or turning the opacity down or just not using it will make it more realistic. Feel free to ignore this bit if you’d rather keep line art, though.

Proportions
As for proportions, you aren’t too far off, but there are a few ways you could improve your proportions. I would recommend making the ears a bit bigger and lower. The top of ears usually line up with the eyes. For the eyes, I would recommend making them a bit smaller and a bit more shaped like a lemon if that makes sense. Try turning down the inside corners and drawing a cornea (that little round pink thing in the corner of the eyes. The eyes might also be a tiny bit high. Eyes are positioned near the middle of the head. They are a good distance from each other, but making them smaller may mean having to bring them closer together too. Eyes also have creases, especially one large one the goes across the top of the eye. Adding slight eye bags and a waterline underneath the eye wouldn’t be a bad idea either. The pupils are a little big, but it is humanly possible to have large pupils, so I wouldn’t worry about it. The head might be a little wide at the top, but that might also be the hair. I recommend using a reference photo of yourself, a friend, or a random person on the internet to improve at doing proportions. Practice drawing faces at different angles often and the proportions won’t seem as daunting anymore. I recommend looking at real people (in a not creepy way) with the intent of seeing the proportions and how you would draw it. Observing real life and remembering for later has been really helpful for me. You can also try doing this with other people’s artwork and trying to implement it into your own. Another way to improve your face would be to use a symmetry tool. The face you’re drawing is pretty much straight on, so both sides would look pretty much the same. This might also fix the problem you’re having with the eyes not looking alike.

Details
As far as details go, I would add some more eyelashes across the eyes to nearly the inside corners. Eyelashes curve and are thinker at the bottom, which is something to keep in mind. A few small eyelashes on the bottom might help too. Eyelashes tend to be longer near the outside corner and gradually get smaller as you near the center. For the nose, I think you unintentionally gave her a three-quarters view nose. You might want to try studying front on noses. There should also probably be a c-shaped line by the nostrils. The lips are good. An idea is to add some highlights and texture to the lips, especially the bottom one (because more light would hit it). You could do a mixture of tiny whitish lines and dots on the middle of each lip. This will make them look shinier and adds some detail. You could also maybe add texture to the skin or some little freckles or moles to make it seem even more realistic, but you don’t have to. Little imperfections really will add to the piece. Some lines could be added to the ears to show the folds.

Light and Highlights
I think that your light is coming from the right side (sorry if I’m wrong!). I would recommend practicing how light works even more, but you seem to have a pretty good understanding. For the shine in the eyes, I would maybe add more small highlights to make it look even shinier. There could be brighter highlights on the tip of the nose, the lips. the hair, basically anywhere that it protrudes the most. You can use an add layer for these highlights.

Hair
Ah, yes short hair can be tricky. Just try not to think of it as being too much different from long hair. I would recommend adding some little messy pieces outside of the shape of the hair because hair tends to do its own thing. Even people with the nicest and neatest hair tend to have some stray pieces. The lightest part of the hair should be the part that sticks out the most, so that would be the middle of the section(s). You could push your contrast (lights and darks) in the hair even more to make it shiny and soft looking.

Shading/Skin
For your shading, you seem to have a pretty good understanding, but I would darken the shadows even more just about everywhere. This will be it look more 3d. Don’t be afraid to go darker, but obviously don’t go to much where it looks weird. Try experimenting with different colors of muliply layers for shading. The skin could also have more colors in it, as light skin is rarely just that. You can work in some reds, pinks, yellows, and even blues and purples for veins. The nose is the reddest part because of the many blood vessels there.

I think that’s about it! I hope this helps! I see a lot of potential and I know you’ll continue to grow and improve! Keep at it, practice, and you’ll go far. I’d love to see what you come up with next. Thank you for reading my very long post. :joy: :blob_hearts:

5 Likes

That’s called the cornea, everyone has one in the corner of their eye. It could be a little pinker, but she was right to put it there.

3 Likes

Yeah personally thought it looked weird. But like you said they can do what they want with they’re art. :upside_down_face: Cough, cough. Everybody looks unique.

2 Likes

Thank u sm for ur review! This is what I was working on now, it’s kinda late to fix the outlines but I’ll revisit ur suggestions closely for the next drawing I do.

WIP

(the hair is not done)

This may sound stupid but I’ve always been really stubborn about art and I usually quit quickly after trying to draw something new like a face, but actually sticking it out and seeing small improvements in my work has made me super motivated to continue!
I was going to ask about tracing stuff. I avoid tracing directly off of the model (Episodian? idk what to call it) because I don’t want to copy, but I’ve heard that it’s good practice. Do you or @Cocoa_bean23 have any advice on that?

4 Likes

Tracing is good. Don’t get attached to tracing though. I really love the piece s far. I would love to see what you do with the advice @/ArtisticWaffle gave you though. :wink:

4 Likes

No problem! I love what you have so far, it’s looking great! That’s not stupid at all, I totally get stubborn about my art too and trying new things can be really frustrating when it doesn’t turn out as well as you’d hope. It is really motivating to see small improvements. About tracing, if your going for the episode style, then yeah, tracing might help, at least until you get the gist of how to do it. Tracing isn’t bad to do when you’re learning as long as you acknowledge that you traced and don’t claim it to be your own. Eventually you will be able to move away from tracing with a better understanding, but if you’re doing fine without tracing, I don’t see any need to start. Whatever works best for you.

4 Likes

1.) Art to be critiqued:

2.) Length of Experience: I’ve said 10 years before, but it’s been on and off.
3.) One thing I like about my art: I like how I colored the skin, shirt, and wings.
4.) One thing I’d like to improve on: I want to improve on drawing hair, hands, legs, and shoes. (You can see that I covered the bottom half with shadow.)
5.) General style I’m going for: (semi realistic, realistic, cartoony, etc…) Semi realistic

I like how this person drew the shoes.

7.) [Optional] Someone who inspires you? I don’t have a specific person in mind right now.
8.) App used? I use a computer program called firealpaca.
9.) [Optional] Extra information?] I plan on redrawing my fairy again with more improvements, so give me all the criticism please.

0 voters

5 Likes

@ArtisticWaffle would you like to take this?

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!

And yeah that’s the cornea.

3 Likes

Sure, I’ll take it. Thanks.

1 Like

Okay so its me again…

Form

This is kinda rough, I’ll add more characters later on.

2.) Length of Experience
1 month!?
Just the same old vibe, its the time I spend doing it.
I guess its the face, outfit this time (according to me lol)
5.) General style I’m going for: (semi realistic, realistic, cartoony, etc…)
Semi realistic
Just a simple and good semi-realistic thingy like that of @LR_epsd
Again, a lot of people
8.) App used?
lbis paint x
9.) [Optional] Extra information?]
It’s kinda difficult to me to understand those youtube tutorials. I mean some of the brushes they use aren’t there in lbis paint. And then most of them speedpaint.

0 voters

4 Likes

@Fairyblue93
Hello! Thanks for submitting your lovely art! Sorry for the wait, I’ve had a lot going on lately and these take me a while to write. You asked for all the criticism, so here it is…

Just a clarification that nothing I say here is meant to discourage you or tear apart your art. Your art is your own and you may do with it what you please. I am only trying to help you improve faster.

At a First Glance…
I really like it. The sparkles are a nice touch and the details are very good. The whole thing looks very magical. I would recommend removing the reference photo in the corner, as it distracts from the actual art. You said ten years on and off, which is a good long time, but from now on I would recommend not taking many long breaks to remember everything you learn. Doing it often is important for improving faster. I also see that the spiral of magic looks like an airbrush, which I would recommend staying away from. Try using a different brush for the spiral or using multiple so it isn’t so obvious. The airbrush is good for base shadows and such, but otherwise it isn’t an ideal brush. I’m guessing it’s fan art (hence the reference photo), which I’ve always enjoyed looking at.

Proportions
These are said with a realistic lens, so follow these depending on how realistic you’d like it to be. She appears to be a kind of young character in the proportions, but her chest is that of someone a little older. Therefore, I would try making her either all young looking or all older looking. Consistency is key. If you go with older, try making her eyes higher as older people have eyes higher up on their face than younger and a smaller head. A person’s shoulders are usually almost as big as two heads, which isn’t the case here. This could be solved by a smaller head/larger shoulders. Her hands and nose could be slightly bigger, too. Her neck could be a bit thicker. If you’d like her to look younger in general, her head could still be a little smaller, especially the top part. Her skull area is a tad big. If doing younger, remove or flatten the chest slightly. Her eyes could have a crease above them and maybe under them, too. More shines are an option, but you don’t have to. The mouth looks really good. Honestly, you said you wanted help with the hands, but they look really good. I can’t think of any way to make them better.

Details
As I said earlier, the details are stunning. I like the sprinkles, textures, necklace, and hair adornment. I have noticed that the amount of detail decreases the further down you go, though. If it’s too much to add more details, maybe decrease the amount of details in general to make it match. I would recommend staying consistent with the amount of details, even though you’ve added a gradient to the bottom. About that, I totally get how us artists just want to cover up what we don’t feel comfortable with, but I would still try not to do that. Try doing it anyway. You’ll never become comfortable with it if you don’t show it. It does overall work with the piece, but I’d still avoid doing that. The arm/hand holding the cake is also a bit less shaded than the other one, so try to make them consistent. The eyebrows could have a bit more detail (hairs) or be a little thicker. I really like the light magic dots, so adding even more would be nice.

Hair
Hair is one of the things you wanted advice on, so here we go. I like how you’ve added texture, keep doing that. The little pieces sticking out from the buns look a little unnatural, though. They are a bit too straight. Try making more smaller pieces that aren’t perfect and go in multiple directions. Don’t be afraid to go outside of the general hair shape. There are also some bumps for lack of a better word near the part that could be a little flatter. If you want it to be shinier, you could make the highlights darker and highlights lighter. You could also add accents of cyan or purple for some extra dimension.

Legs/Shoes
I can’t see the legs or shoes very well, so it’s a bit hard to critique. From what I can see, though, The ankles could be a bit thinner. The legs in general look a bit larger compared to the arms, so I would make them a bit less round and thinner to match the rest of her. I don’t see any soles on her soles, either, which should be present from that position. Make sure to show more of the bottom of the shoes. More shading could be added to the legs and shoes, as I mentioned before.

Shading/Highlighting
I like the shading and highlighting. I especially like how the cyan light from her hand affects her surroundings. In fact, maybe you should push that element even further and exaggerate that cyan light even more. Your light source is consistent, so no problems there. Adding a multiply layer and shading everything with one color might help with cohesion. Multiply and add layers are a digital artist’s best friend. If you want something moodier, lightening the highlights and deepening the shadows would be a way to do that. Just an idea though.

That’s all I can think of for now! I hope this helped. You’re an amazing artist and I know you’ll get even better. In no way was I trying to make you stop or feel bad about your art. I would love to see your redraw when you do it, so please show us! Thanks for reading!

2 Likes