Toxic and Problematic Themes In Popular Stories

I am not naive enough to believe it is love but others might so episode shouldn’t be promoting it.

4 Likes

Also it has to be reiterated the overprotective father, who wants his daughter to be pure and only start dating to at least 30, needs to die. Especially in comedies where it’s supposed to be seen as funny or endearing? I even read a story where MC imagined her father talking her down from kissing, and he said stuff like ‘your lips should stay a virgin’, ‘no one deblooms you’ and ‘purity rings’ even though she has a kid at a young age. Under the same breath, she also imagined him congratulating her younger brother in sleeping around, even though he’s still in high school. It’s supposed to be funny but it just ends up as fucked up and I can’t help thinking she was even traumatised.

To a lesser extent, this also applies to mothers obsessing over their daughters’ love lives and having grandchildren. Luckily, though I only seen it in two stories max, and they just want MCs or the like to be happy and safe

4 Likes

See, that’s my main problem too and I completely agree. Such topics should be written and not censored. It all depends on how you write them, but like you said, it seems like some people would prefer these topics not be written at all and that’s very stifling for an author. As long as it’s not against the guidelines and there are the proper warnings, everyone should be free to write whatever they want, ‘problematic’ or not. For example, my story will deal with misogyny, but it will be painted as the wrong thing it is. Was I supposed to just ignore the topic and pretend everything is fine? Art imitates life, after all.

1 Like

I see this trope too many times with the father/brother/LI being way too “protective” over the MC. Like in my real life my dad is always teasing me about getting a boyfriend and so is my mum like they are not the type to make me shy away from relationships.

2 Likes

I understand this trope rings true for some people, but it’s tiring to see it in many stories and be a huge part of plots.

2 Likes

Exactly, they are basically saying that this kind of trope is funny and will make girls feel as though it is just something you put up with when it shouldn’t. I would like if people stopped using it as a plot device as they do sexual harassment and if they do use it properly. Like showing the MC disconnecting from those toxic people and that what happened wasn’t okay.

3 Likes

Yes, especially when the father uses the ‘I don’t want to see my little girl growing up’ excuse.

4 Likes

I remember seeing that! It’s so weird to me. Why are they obsessed with their daughter’s virginity? They never say anything to the boys though. I don’t understand that.

2 Likes

Slut shamming. Like in the popular stories I’ve read, they (usually the MC) always calls the “Mean girl” a Slut and the dudes call her easy.

3 Likes

I just thought of another one, because i saw @ParkLow_G s comment on the Common words heard in Episode romance stories thread, The Mc or the Li, not asking for consent before they do things. Like the Li will just touch or kiss the MC, when their not even dating or they just met because he “can’t control himself around her”, but its okay because hes hot.

8 Likes

This is from the most recent featured story Stray Hearts. I don’t know how this character is supposed to be seen, but her saying a misogynistic thing is so off-putting, let alone the choices to respond to that.

Edit: in one of the choices you can call her out Kinda, but then she says this. So she said the girls had a lack of self-respect, but then kinda backtracks to her being worried about their safety.

2 Likes

I agree honestly, I’ve read some messed up stories on episode. Ones in which the love interest has mega red flags. Like, it’s to a point where I am too uncomfortable to even read the d*mn story.

3 Likes

Same here

It’s not only the author’s, it’s also the readers as well. Some people genuinely think toxic stuff is romantic, completely ignoring people who have been through it, and many of them are teens my age!! Like gahhhhh!

4 Likes

Tbh, it’s kind of hard to speak out against toxic or problematic things in stories when 1.) People think portraying those things are okay just because it’s a piece of fiction (like that makes it okay) and 2.) People are aware how bad those themes are but still indulge in them for the extra dose of dopamine because toxic LIs makes them feel good.

I mean, how long have people been talking about this stuff in Episode stories and how much has changed? Nothing. Not enough people care tbh. We can keep talking about it and spread awareness all we want, though. 🤷 But at the end of the day, people are gonna write what they want to write regardless of the negative impact it may have.

9 Likes

It seriously infuriates me!!

I just want to :fu: at them!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Being lesbian I always pick the female option in stories and you’re right, there is barely any art scenes in lot of them and sometimes I get the male art scenes when I picked girls as my LI!! Also so many “he walked closer to me” or whatever when it’s meant to be “she”. One story though that had a lot of art scenes (with both genders!) was The Clumsy Supergirl by Marion Hargrave. Obviously I don’t know how many there are in the male LI option but there is a lot of art, and at the start and end. I’m writing a story at the moment, and I did just make it lesbian because I thought it would be really hard to do. Thanks, I see that it’s easier now, should I add the sexuality choice?

3 Likes

About 4-6 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

If you don’t wanna stress yourself out, I suppose not.

3 Likes