How to Make a Crowd Using Spot Directing!
One of the biggest examples of “advanced directing” is spot directing, layering, and, of course, crowds. Maybe a story is underrated because it’s only lacking in advanced directing, despite a great storyline and awesome art.
Here’s one of the easiest ways to score high in advanced directing: a simple strategy for making a crowd!
Video Tutorial on Instagram!
(video made by me for the Short Stories group)
Written Out Tutorial!
- Place a bunch of background characters on screen center. This is the easiest way to get them all on the previewer. Add more “BG” characters for every member of the crowd you want!
HINT: You can use the character randomizer to instantly create any number of background characters! Click here if you want to learn more about what the heck the randomizer is!
Open the previewer and position these characters how you like. First, make sure to hit Save and Preview. Then, use the Web Previewer and the Directing Helper/Spot Helper to position the characters however you want to. It takes a while, but it’s a simple process to move and scale these characters.
Hit “Copy Stage” This button below the previewer copies the positions and layers of your characters, as well as the “zoom” information in the previewer. After you hit the button, paste the copied codes into your script and delete all of the “Screen Center” commands; you don’t need them anymore!
Add facing and behavior commands The “Copy Stage” button DOES NOT copy the direction your characters are facing or what animation is being performed. You have to add these in manually. Try animations such as cheering, filming on phones, taking pictures with cameras, or just looking happy!
In case your crowd isn’t completely satisfactory, try doing one of these:
- Add dramatic zooms to give an awesome introduction or view to your crowd.
- Add sound effects like cheering, booing, or plain chatter to make the scene alive!
- What’s the crowd there for? Make sure it’s obvious what all those people are gathered for!
- If you used the randomizer for background characters, try tweaking them a little if they look unnatural to you!