TYPED Input and value of variable (original VS customizable)

Hello!

I’ve made a topic about this issue a few month ago.(Custom or original name: typed-in choice).
I thought I had found the solution but it turns out it doesn’t work on my phone (while it does on my iPad, which does not make sense at all).

Here is the issue:
I want to let the reader the choice to change the name of the MC BUT I don’t want them to have to write the default name of the MC that I’ve chosen.
The only option I have is to make a if-else every time the name of the MC is used which is extremely stupid.
There seems to be no way to deal with that issue.
I previously used the typical input variable:
input What is your surname? | What is your surname? | Done (NAME)
And wanted to give the value “CLAIRAH” to NAME in case the reader likes the name. It doesn’t work. If I change the name of the variable NAME to Clairah, it’ll display Clairah on both the portal and my iPad but nothing on my phone so this lovely thing doesn’t work.

I highly value user experience. There is no way the readers are going to write anything if they choose the name I’ve chosen.

Thanks,
Demiguise.

Personally, I never use NAME as my character’s display name. I always give them the name I have chosen. Given that, the coding of the name choice is the same but instead of name I put it the character’s name, in this case CLAIRAH

NARR
Would you like to keep the name Clairah?

choice “Yes!” {
NARR
Good!
} “No” {
NARRATOR
So… what’s your name?

label first_name_input

input What’s Your First Name?|What’s Your First Name?|Done(CLAIRAH)

if (CLAIRAH is “”) {

NARRATOR
You do need a name...

goto first_name_input

} else {
continue
}
}

And I think this works

My bad I may have explained poorly my issue xD. But how do you use it in conversations? Like:
MC
My name is [Clairah]?
Because when I do that, it doesn’t display anything on my phone (just: My name is?) if nothing was inputed by the reader (but it displays My name is Clairah on the portal and my iPad)

[CLAIRAH] all uppercase

so

MC
My name is [CLAIRAH].

don’t worry, I didn’t understand what your main problem was :sweat_smile:

Yeah but it doesn’t display anything on my phone if the reader has not manually inputed something so I guess it would do the same with other users.

I just tried it in my phone previewer and it shows, even if I choose the first option - so I didn’t input anything :sweat_smile:

Hmmm … I actualy believe this has no simple solution you are looking for - whatever reader writes or not writes will be remembered - so using the code [NAME] will always display what had reader typed in.

I understand you do not want to let the reader type in the default name but I think its the only solution in case you do not want all the if/elifs

I do it like this:

NARRATOR
You will play as this character.
If you don’t want to use your name you can use her original name - | bold , color:magenta |Karolin| reset , no-space |.
So… what’s your name?
label name
input What’s Your Name?|What’s Your Name?|Done(YOU)
if (YOU is “”) {
NARRATOR
You do need a name…
goto name
} else {
}

As you see the fact that the reader didn’t write anything is used to send the reader back - so he has to fill some name.

But I am interested if anybody has different SIMPLE solution.

Thanks, I’ll think about it. It is just so… incredibly stupid to have to do it that way. I’ll let you know if I find any easier solution! :slight_smile:

Sorry if this isn’t what you’re looking for, or if this has already been tried or suggested, but would making this a choice be a possible solution? The reader technically wouldn’t writing the default name.

label first_name
NARRATOR
What is your name?
choice (NAME)
“Clairah” continue
“Enter your own name.”{
input What’s Your First Name?|What’s Your First Name?|Done(NAME)
}

if (NAME is “”) {
NARRATOR
You do need a name…
goto first_name
} else {
continue
}
NARRATOR
Is your name [NAME]?
choice
“Yes” continue
“No”{
goto first_name
}

Again, sorry if this isn’t what you’re looking for at all.

I dont thik this will solve the problem since when ever in the future she will use the name in dialogue

CHAR
Hi [NAME], how are you?

Readers who clicked on Clairah and havent go to the input will not see any name. So she would need to do the if/else again.

Not to mention that the display name will be for them NAME and not CLAIRAH

It’s a script that I use in my own story, and I don’t think I’ve come across either of those problems while testing it on my phone.

I might be overlooking something, though.

If you tested first the typed in choice it might remember it when you test the no input branch. But from the pronciple it cant work

there is no way that the script knows it should display Clairah if you have display name NAME and reader didnt do any input

I mean see the logic how shold script know he shoud display different name when reader never told him?

Test it in brand new story which you havent played before and dont go for the input branch.

Didn’t think of that! Will do, thanks!

Hey! I can’t believe it but I think I have found a solution to the problem, at least it works for me!!!
Here’s what I did:

NARR
Do you want to rename?
choice “yes” {
NARRATOR
So… what’s your name?

label first_name_input

input What’s Your First Name?|What’s Your First Name?|Done(Clairah)

if (Clairah is “”) {

NARRATOR
You do need a name...

goto first_name_input

} else {
continue
}

}“no” {
NARRATOR
Great!
}
NARR
Hi, [Clairah].

Please tell me if it works for you. I made this script in a hurry. This will make the name appear in small letters while using “FIRSTNAME” (as in the default script) you will see the name in all caps if the user doesn’t input a name. But this may work. It worked for me… see if it works for you.

@Farah_DeSantis Could you please test if this works for you? I’m not sure if it will work for everyone and since no one is responding I tagged you. Hope you don’t mind. :pleading_face:

OK I will test it … just question what do you have as display name of the character?

Since I kinda think you cant have small letters there so it seem to me it will not rename the speachbuble of the character for the one who renamed her.:face_with_raised_eyebrow: bBut I havent tested it yet!

1 Like

…oops! I didn’t think of that but I used “YOU” as display name so it applies to all in general. :sweat_smile:

EDIT: I tested it just now and no. It is not renaming the character for the ones who renamed her.

your display name must be same as the input for showing the by reader chosen new name above the speachbuble.

1 Like

Yes I know, but in a hurry I missed it yesterday and left the character display name as “YOU”.
Many people do use “you” as the display name though.