UNDERSTANDING: Script + Display Names

Script Name - the one that is written in the script (cannot be changed)

Display Name - the one that is shown to the reader (you can see it on top of the character’s speechbubble) and it can be changed. It can also be left blank. Leaving the display name blank is good for mysterious characters.

Display Names:

As mentioned previously, you can leave display names blank and save.

ex.
Script Name: JEM
Display Name:

In the script, you can write:

JEM
I’m just a mysterious woman.

You’d write this however the reader doesn’t see any name.

Another example demonstrating the difference between script names and display names:

Display Name: SHADOW

In the script, you can write this:

JEM
Nice to meet ya’ll, they call me Shadow.

Readers would see SHADOW on top of the bubble (name shown to reader) while you write JEM in your script (name written in the script).

Having the same display and script name:

Display NAME: JEM

JEM
Hey, I’m Jem.

You write JEM in your script and the readers see this, too.

Deleting a character:

To delete a character, make sure the character’s script name is deleted from all of the episodes of your story.

Naming your character:

NARRATOR
What is your name?

input What is your name? | What is your name? | Done (NAME)

(the naming input above should be on one line)

Whatever you write in the () after the word Done for the naming input should be the display name. Since you used NAME, for the character that is being named, their display name should be NAME. That way, when the reader names them, the name that they chose will be displayed/shown to the reader (ex. if the character’s script name is YOU and their display name is NAME and they named the character Ashley using the naming input above (with NAME) the reader will see ASHLEY as the display name.

So, in the script:

YOU
Hey, I’m [NAME].

What the reader sees:

ASHLEY
Hey, I’m Ashley.

And it doesn’t have to be NAME that’s used in the naming input, it can be anything (ex.JEM, SIM, ANGIE, RAVEN, CHARLIE, MILLI, ANNA, ARIA, TOM, STAR, STELLA, RHONDA, DIANA, JULIA, etc.)

So,

input What is your name? | What is your name? | Done (DISPLAY NAME)

to repeat, replace DISPLAY NAME in the naming input with anything you want to use (NAME, YOU, JEM, etc.)

Another example:
If you make a character called JEM with the same display name and write:

input What is your name? | What is your name? | Done (JEM)

If the reader types EMILY, they’ll see Emily.

In the script:

JEM
Hey, I’m [JEM].

What the reader sees:

EMILY
Hey I’m Emily.

Another example:

Script Name: YOU
Display name: YOU

In the script:

NARRATOR
What is your name?

YOU
Hey, I’m [NAME].

Let’s say you named your character Alexia, they will see:

YOU
Hey, I’m Alexia.

Oh no! Do you notice why it’s not showing her name on top of the speechbubble? It’s because her display name is YOU and you used NAME for the naming input.

To fix this, go to characters, change the display name:

Display name: NAME

Now, when you type:

YOU
Hey, I’m [NAME].

The reader will see:

ALEXIA
Hey, I’m Alexia.

Another example:

Script Name: Ruby
Display Name: Iris

You type:
RUBY
I’m Iris.

The reader sees:

IRIS
I’m Iris.

*for the Iris and Ruby example, no name input was used. If I used a naming input like:

input What is your name? | What is your name? | Done (IRIS)

and the reader, for example typed in Rachel, if the display name of the character being named using this input is IRIS, then they will see Rachel.

*Note that when you’re testing the naming input, you must test it on the app (on mobile). it won’t work on the web previewer. Instead, it usually gives your character the name Auto Bot, skipping the naming input. Also, another thing! You can shorten NARRATOR to NARR and a reminder that display names can be left blank.

So, just to repeat:

SCRIPT NAME
Hey, I’m DISPLAY NAME.

SCRIPT NAME: NICHOLE
DISPLAY NAME: ROSE

NICHOLE
I’m Rose.

Anyways, moving on!

What if instead of naming the character using a naming input you want to give them a list of names to choose from?

I’ll give you an example using six names.

Our character:

Script Name: JENNY
Display name: JENNY

In the script:

NARR
Pick a name.

choice (JENNY)
“Alexandria”{

}“Angel”{

}“Annie”{

}“Amber”{

}“Aaliyah”{

}“Alana”{

}

So, let’s say the reader selects Alexandria, that is the new name that will show up as their display name. Same applies for other names.

Example, in your script you’d write:

JENNY
Hey, I’m [JENNY].

The readers see:

ALEXANDRIA
Hey, I’m Alexandria.

This is a cool technique to know! Careful when you’re using:

choice (somethinginhere)

It’s used to remember choices (check out link below on how to remember past choices) so when you’re say choosing a food option do NOT replace “somethinginhere” with a character’s name.

Let’s say you have a character called JACKIE (same display name) and you write this:

NARR
Pick a food.

choice (JACKIE)
“Pizza”{

}“Cupcake”{

}

Well, let’s just say JACKIE’s new name would be either Pizza or Cupcake which I admit is pretty funny but not something you want unless you’re making a crazy story where everyone is named after food XD

Instead use something like FOOD or meal or food_item there.

OK, hope this clears things up! I know I can be a bit repetitive at times but I wanna clear things up and make them as simple as possible.

Anyways, have a lovely day filled with so much joy xoxo :blob_sun:

P.S Check out:

1. https://www.dara-amarie.com/remember-choice
  2. https://www.dara-amarie.com/typed-in-choices

To understand more! :cupid:

And I also post directing tutorials on my IG account warrior.gem dedicated to tips :chef:

15 Likes

I’m a simple girl. I see my name and I click lol. I always adore your tutorials, Jem :blob_hearts::blob_sun:

2 Likes

Yas! Ty sis, n omg my name. Bookmarked! :joy::heavy_heart_exclamation::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you guys, I plan out my tutorials accordingly, the next one will star Brandi aka FlowerGriefer :sunglasses: :joy: :heart:

1 Like

So if I only let the readers choose their name after some dialogue, will it display as MC first, because that’s what I put in the brackets in the question? :thinking:

So if u have this for your MC (example):

Display name: NAME

In script:

YOU
They call me the baddest girl alive.

YOU
Like for real.

NARR
What is your name?

YOU
I’m so bad.

For the first two lines before the naming input since the display name is NAME the reader will see that. Right after they’re named (ex. Hanna) the reader will see Hanna.

This is why I usually leave display names and script names the exact same except when it comes to characters with no names and background extras (ex. script names = STUDENT1, STUDENT2, STUDENT3 and display names for all 3 =STUDENT)

So if you did:

Display name: YOU

And named your character like this:

You’d still see YOU

Instead of NAME in the name input, use YOU which is the display name:

input What is your name? | What is your name? | Done (YOU)

Now if in your script you write:

YOU
They call me the baddest girl alive.

YOU
Like for real.

NARR
What is your name?

YOU
I’m so bad.

The reader will see YOU first and then whatever they’re named.

Usually, people name characters right away. You can create duplicates, too. Display names can be shared but script names have to be different.

I feel like I’m super repetitive but I like to break things down as much as I can :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I’ll just change it to “you”, so the reader will see the speech bubble saying “you” before naming the character :blush:

1 Like

and if I want my character without a display name to have a display name, do I just change it and then it shows up in the script?

You’d have to create a duplicate character. One with the display name visible and one not showing a display name.

Bump, so I know a lot of people use NAME, FIRSTNAME or YOU but me being the superficial all about me woman that I am, I use JEM :rofl:

1 Like

IMPORTANT TIP.

Let’s say someone has this character:

Display Name: YOU

In their story, they write:

And in the script they write [YOU] many times.

They used NAME to assign the reader a name. But because they wrote [YOU] in the script many times, the name the reader picked will not show nor will it appear on top of the character’s speechbubble. You’ll need to fix this.

Well first of all, you might be tempted to tell them to change the display name to NAME but they would also need to change all of the [YOU]'s to [NAME]

This is a longer process than the short cut I’m going to tell you about (like right now). To fix this just change what goes in the ( ) of the naming input.

It would be:

*p.s just remember naming the character should be tested on the app, ty for reading

1 Like

If you use it that way don’t you have to use the if method? Or do you just change ⇣ that?

1 Like

Omg thank you this is awesome!!!

So what I do is I have a character called:

Display Name: JEM

In script I write,

NARR
What is your name?

input What is your name? | What is your name? | Done (JEM)

JEM
I love the name [JEM].

So if the reader were to pick let’s say the name Diana and type it in, they see:

DIANA
I love the name Diana.

Yep that is all it’s just like what you do with NAME or FIRSTNAME or YOU :joy: :blob_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you, i aim to make things as simple as I possibly can :blob_sun:

I like that way much better. I hate seeing NAME all through my script :joy: Thank you, Jem, I appreciate it. :blob_hearts:

2 Likes

Bump ^^

Bump :hibiscus: :blob_sun:

I have a question
Okay in the script would it be like this

YOU

Hey I’m (NAME)

or

YOU

Hey I’m [NAME]

What I’m wondering is if you have to use [ ] or ( )

We all use [ ]:+1:

1 Like