Understanding the Writer Payments Qualifications

I’ve been with the the Episode platform for 4 years, and understanding the writer payments qualifications has been a bit of a doozy for me. I am qualified to get paid because I am older than 18 years old. I started using gem choices a few months ago in my story, and I understand that they do count towards the payment program. I guess my issue is understanding the difference between total gem chapter reads and total gem choices. Do they work hand in hand with each other?

1 Like

A gem chapter read means someone read your story that contains gem choices in it.

A gem choice chosen means a reader went through and chose a gem choice when it was offered.

From what I can tell based on my own use of them, the gem choices only seem to count if the reader actually sees gems. (I’m assuming this based on people telling me they’ve clicked on the gem choices, and I’d like to think they aren’t lying. :sweat_smile: Also the gems are for bonus scenes, so if they show up even after people who can’t see gems click them I’d have way more gem choices. Most people aren’t going to turn down a “free” gem choice.)

But in short, yes, they work together. You need 100k gem chapters read and 300 gem choices selected to qualify for writer’s payment. You need to obtain this in a 60 day time frame.

2 Likes

Ohh okay! That makes sense. I only use gem choices at the end of each episode that I write asking my readers if they’d like to support me and my story. I know that that goes as a gem choice for sure.

1 Like

But, it’s kind of hard to maintain 100k gem chapters read and 300 gem choices selected within 60 days.

1 Like

Yeah. :woman_shrugging:t2: It’s challenging, I believe, because that’s how episode wants it to be. Maybe we’ll get there one day, though! :grin:

1 Like

Yeah!

1 Like

From what I’ve been told, this is the easy part. It’s getting 100k gem chapter reads in 60 days that’s the hard part :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I know. I don’t like how Episode did that because 300 gem choices selected alone should be a qualification on its own because it’s easy to unlock the payment program. That’s how for an author to get 100k gem chapter reads in 60 days if their story isn’t trending and if they’re a new/small author.

That’s exactly why it’s not the qualification lol.
The program has never been easy to get into and it was never designed to be easy to get into. I’ll tell you this- if everyone could get into the program, the rate would likely drop. At the moment, there’s a minimum you need to earn to get paid out. Depending on where you live, if you gained 1000 reads a month at the current rate, it would take you years to get paid anything.
100k gem chapter reads is easier than 500k chapter reads which is the point.

2 Likes

I guess, but majority of readers on the platform are young teens or even kids; they don’t have a source of income to buy gems just so the author can meet the qualification of earning 100k gem chapters reads in 60 days. If that makes sense. I do see and understand your point though.

People don’t need to pay for a gem option for it to count as a read. 100k gem chapter reads are just reads. NOT options being picked.

Ohh, thanks for clearing that up for me because I didn’t know that.

@Baleigh_episode explained it in her post above :slight_smile:

So what you need is 100k gem chapter reads- that’s just reads.
Then you need 300 of those gem options actually selected. Now- some people think the reader actually needs to see these for it to count, however Amber has coded her story so only people who can’t see gem choices will actually get gem choice options, and she’s managed to get well over 300 selected in the past 60 days lol. I have a feeling that the first choice probably doesn’t count (since it’s free).

3 Likes

May I ask who Amber is? I think the problem I’m having is trying to meet these one of those qualifications with just one story because I only have one story that I’m writing (currently).

@amberose

And yes- if I was trying to qualify I’d throw gem choices into every single chapter of all my stories lol.

3 Likes

I would do the same thing.