Unexpected expression: help

the second “choice” isn’t supposed to be there.
choice (AYAKA_stylish) *Should probably be (AYAKA_outfitchoice)
</GEMS:5>“Stylish”

@/AYAKA changes into AYAKA_stylish

@pause for 2 *You can just make it an amount of time, no need for double @pause for a beat

}“Casual”{
@/AYAKA changes into AYAKA_casual
}

(Honestly, I could be wrong, I haven’t done much with choices yet, but I think that’s the problem)

1 Like

You only need to type in “choice” once for a whole set of choices.

You need to decide on how you want the choice to be remembered, do you want the choice to be remembered by the choice name or do you want to use flags?

If you want to use flags it would be something like this:
choice
“Stylish”{
Blah blah blah (other lines here where she changes into outfit etc).
gain STYLISH
}”Casual”{
gain CASUAL
}

Then to refer to it later:
If (STYLISH){
#scene here where they chose the Stylish option.
} else {
#scene here where they chose the Casual option.
}

Only thing is, that gains cannot be undone once selected.

If you want to use choice naming, it’ll have to be something like:
choice (outfit_choice1)
“Stylish”{
Blah blah blah.
}”Casual”{
}

And then later:
If (outfit_choice1 is “Stylish”){
#scene here where they chose the Stylish option.
} else {
#scene here where they chose the Casual option.
}

If you don’t want to use the branching systems and just have them as simple choices that don’t need to be remembered. You could just have:
NARR
Which outfit?
choice
“Stylish”{
}”Casual”{
}
#story continues here.

Side note: I also noticed you have @pause for a beat twice, to shorten it, you can just have @pause for 2 on one line. It does the same thing. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Adding onto what everyone’s said here, using gains isn’t the way to go for remembering outfit choices in a two part outfit minigame (i.e. first part selection, second part confirmation). You’ll want to use the point system to remember the outfit. Using gains will confuse your script if readers choose to view more than one of the outfits, which is very likely.

The only issue with this is that they have a secondary choice to confirm their outfit choice, meaning there’s a chance they choose a different option and get a second gain—which causes confusion within the script itself, as there are two possible gains. It would default to the first listed gain in its memory, in that case—which would cause issues later on.

The same applies for your other method.

Yeah, I just noticed the “Are you sure?” section, when I wrote my reply I hadn’t seen that, hence didnt take it into consideration. :full_moon_with_face:

nvm i got it, thank you @Dragon (:

Wow I admire you guys so much! I actually wanted to start writing my own story a while ago, I first got the idea for it two years ago but every time I start I lose myself in all that coding and I mess up everything. Then I lose my motivation completely. I was watching tutorials for it for some time but with my university obligations (I have two majors) it just became impossible for me to watch 15-20 min videos for every mistake I made, it was just too time consuming! Do you guys have any advice because I would really like to start writing again, (one of my majors is English and I really like to read and write, it is my passion)how did you learn to do all that coding?

One huge thing is stalking the forums! Sounds very strange, but very often people post tutorials when it comes to advanced directing or tips!

Another thing is simply playing around in the portal and figuring out what works and what doesn’t. Once you’ve become acquainted with the portal, you’ll be much better off and much more accurate. Trust me, coding skills do NOT come over night. It takes time. Lots of research may be necessary while figuring code out, and that’s okay! You’ll definitely get it down in time! With that said, get familiar with the portal and all of its assets. Figure out what each button in the portal does, both in script and outside.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions! Many people, myself included, live in the Directing Help + Tips category. You’re almost guaranteed to get an answer within an hour of posting your question, if not sooner.

1 Like

:joy: You’re right, it’s so strangely accurate

2 Likes

Speaking of stalking… :rofl:

1 Like

Stalking? Me? I’m completely innocent! :sweat:

1 Like

Thanks for encouragement!!! I will definitely try! You guys here are so kind, that’s also one of the reasons I love episode forums, people here are always ready to help :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart:

2 Likes

Of course! Best of luck to you, coding can actually get to be really fun once you get the hang of it!

1 Like