Update to Story Ranking and Trending Section Calculations

“Strike” was an example… never said writers were going on strike. Don’t go making it a thing now…

2 Likes

Aren’t most already doing it though? I checked on Instagram and people are resharing the protest again and again.

1 Like

Exactly I’m not making a thing I’ve literally read several saying they better change it back or they are going to quit

1 Like

Yeah, it’s kinda drastic.

Yeah, it’s not right. By tomorrow, it should be better but if it doesn’t, write Episode. A lot of authors have this problem and if we all inform them, I hope they’ll try to fix it. I hope this helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You might have meant it as one but I’ve seen several authors write that they aren’t going to continue writing unless they change it back

1 Like

This does have its issues. A lot of readers aren’t going to read a story with very few chapters, so even stories on the new stories section aren’t going to get the visibility they deserve if the author doesn’t start with multiple chapters. So it’s taking away the opportunity for smaller authors to get big through visibility on the trending section for a few hours if they’ve recently updated/have now got a sufficient number of chapters for the average reader. It seems really unfair

8 Likes

I think what your priorities are, differ from episodes creators, I think they did explain that their was something wrong with the old way that they did it, so they tried something they thought would be better and so far there hasn’t been enough time passed to show if it worked or not

3 Likes

That doesn’t mean the solution is good, either. We don’t need time to see how this could negatively affect people. I’m surprised Episode didn’t realise this would happen from the start. Or maybe they did. If so, then that’s really messed up

6 Likes

There you are saying it’s going to have a negative affect but you don’t know that, you can’t know that. Like if you go into everything thinking it’s going to have a negative affect than why do it the first place, as episode creators said they did research and they believe it doesn’t have an impact, they are a big enough company that I think they know what they are doing,

1 Like

Authors who are going on strike aren’t really going on strike just not publishing until the ranking is fixed so that when they update next they get the exposure on the ranks and the reads that they have worked hard for. I think the main thing to remember as well is the payment plan and how it effects writers who are being payed by episode. They need the exposure because they need the money.

I know it for a fact. The Episode system for allowing small authors to have a chance is messed up enough as it is, but many authors — myself included — relied on the frequent updates to trending in order to establish ourselves as big. Do you know why?

Well, not many readers want the uncertainty of an unfinished story with very few chapters. They wait until it has more up. When there are less frequent updates to the trending, it means authors can’t benefit for the few hour spikes that stories get after they update.

5 Likes

A spike that many of us relied on, by the way. Even before this update, there were still stories stuck on top because they’d get most views over all, even if they weren’t on top for a few hours. Now authors who persist as small authors won’t get the benefit of being like:

Well, if I start with 9 readers, next chapter, that’s 9 reads. Then I’ll get another reader, who will read all 4 of my chapters. That’s an extra 4 reads. That will push my rank down. That will give me two extra readers. That’s 8 extra reads. That will push my rank down even more.

3 Likes

Less frequent updates will hinder that growth because, in the grand scheme of things, 8 or even 200 reads won’t make much of a difference in a whole day. It does in an hour, or a minute though. It’s just basic maths.

3 Likes

Can you see into the future? I don’t think so, so again you can’t cant know if it’s going to have a negative affect. And how bout we wait to see if it does effect the writers payment cause if it doesn’t then y’all making a mountain out of a molehill.

I don’t need to see into the future. All I need is the facts and figures. Do you say this to scientists who predict global warming, too! I hope not.

5 Likes

It’s basic mathematical stuff.

People largely benefit off the frequent updates to the trending because it means 5 reads can push them down a few ranks.

5 reads in a day is nothing. 5 reads in an hour is loads.

There’s also the fact that it helps their exponential growth.

Frequent trending updates means 5 reads will make you visible to another 5 people, who will read your whole story and make you visible to another 10 people.

10 Likes

But do you have all the facts? Can you see what episode can’t? Your one person, episode is a big company, they have more resources then you, you can’t possibly see what they are seeing

The statement that it will have a negative effect is very much weighing up the pros and cons of this update. No one has raised many pros and any pros I’ve come up with have been successfully rebutted by others. There are lots of cons that I and others fail to find a positive to and I believe that fact is what makes people believe that this update will have a negative impact.

3 Likes

Because what your saying is you know more than they do but that’s not possible